C Otto Koivula (2016, 120th, NYI)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Centering Bridgeport’s top line right now.

“He’s a big kid but he’s got real nice hands,” one scout for a Western Conference team said after a recent Bridgeport viewing. “Half a step, that’s what I see. Another half a step in his stride and you could have a real solid NHL player.”

“I think it forces him to move his feet,” Thompson said. “Once he gets stronger, his skating will naturally improve. He’s actually got a nice, smooth stride. And because he’s 6-5, it’s a lot longer than it looks, which may be a little lethargic at times. In the middle, he’s forced to move his feet, he has the puck a little more and he’s a smart guy who can distribute the puck.”
“I played maybe three games at center last season, so it’s new for me,” Koivula said. “It’s fun. More skating, I get the puck more. I like that.”

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Could Isles use him at the moment???.

I say this without seeing him play in while, but I don’t think his skating is there yet. He’s only 20, I assume he’ll be a call-up next season which a legitimate chance to be a full timer the season after that.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Oh, okay, that seems fair, no worries.
That being said, the Islanders will definitely have a spot open at Center come the offseason. Filppula has been playing well but he's on a 1 year contract and Nelson is a FA (and its unclear if the Islanders want him or want to pay him what he'll likely demand). If they are real bullish on Otto come July, perhaps they sign Val (or someone similar) to play that 3C spot with the idea that Otto ascends to that spot some time during the season.

The kid is only 20 and has been playing the Center position for a little more than a month so I'm guessing they aren't going to rush him (the move has been to overripen the prospects with the new regime). But if his trajectory continues, perhaps this time next year he's making it very difficult to keep him in BP. At least that's the hope.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
That being said, the Islanders will definitely have a spot open at Center come the offseason. Filppula has been playing well but he's on a 1 year contract and Nelson is a FA (and its unclear if the Islanders want him or want to pay him what he'll likely demand). If they are real bullish on Otto come July, perhaps they sign Val (or someone similar) to play that 3C spot with the idea that Otto ascends to that spot some time during the season.

The kid is only 20 and has been playing the Center position for a little more than a month so I'm guessing they aren't going to rush him (the move has been to overripen the prospects with the new regime). But if his trajectory continues, perhaps this time next year he's making it very difficult to keep him in BP. At least that's the hope.

Nelson is a FA and he’s not the ideal #2 Center but staple said “ Trotz absolutely loves him” so I wonder if they make it a priority to sign him?

I wouldn’t mind keeping Nelson but I feel like another team could overpay for him. Nelson isn’t the type of player you overpay for.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Nelson is a FA and he’s not the ideal #2 Center but staple said “ Trotz absolutely loves him” so I wonder if they make it a priority to sign him?

I wouldn’t mind keeping Nelson but I feel like another team could overpay for him. Nelson isn’t the type of player you overpay for.

Nelson as a #2C is meh. Nelson as a #2c with Panarin on his wing is something I could get used to :thumbu:

But as you mention, the team really likes Nelson. Just my guess, if they can get him for $5.5m or under, I think they sign him during the season. That amount doesn't preclude them from going after another high profile FA (whether its Duchene or Panarin). If they let Nelson walk and don't sign a top flight FA (which is the likely scenario realistically), they are up shits creek.

Unless they re-sign Nelson AND sign a FA center like Duchene or Hayes, Otto has a clear path to play here sometime next season I would think. Whether ultimately happens though, depends on him.

Reactions: SI90

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Apologies for the necromancy, but Otto has been playing quite well for the Sound Tigers so I thought that I would bump this.

Currently has 13 goals and 20 assists, +17, in 45 games for the Tigers, playing as the 1C.

I didn't expect much from him but he is definitely making a case for himself as the next call up.

Reactions: sebsisles

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Apologies for the necromancy, but Otto has been playing quite well for the Sound Tigers so I thought that I would bump this.

Currently has 13 goals and 20 assists, +17, in 45 games for the Tigers, playing as the 1C.

I didn't expect much from him but he is definitely making a case for himself as the next call up.

I’m absolutely shocked he’s transitioned to center this well. Nothing against him but everything I saw from him in international games screamed power winger with hands.

He’s been a real pleasant surprise this year. Could be a long term solution as a bottom 6 center yet for us.

Any word on how he’s been defensively and if he plays the PK?

Last edited:
Reactions: sebsisles

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Since moving to center he’s been excellent. Not sure what his total points are at center as he started as a winger earlier in the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->