C Otto Koivula (2016, 120th, NYI)

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
The production is elite. What are the question marks/difficulties that would potentially prevent him from becoming a good NHLer?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Fixed that for you.

Skating needs to improve definitely, he kind of reminds me of Laine.

Oh come on! He has really nothing else similar with Laine but the huge size. He is much weaker skater than Laine was last year in FEL and he also doesn't have even close to the shot that Laine has. Well, maybe hands are a bit towards what Laine has, but even there he is still pretty much behind Laine.

Just different class of talents. He might though have a shot with a lot of training with his skating and explosiveness to become some day maybe a 3rd line NHL'er, if everything goes pretty much perfectly. But I can't see a better future for him even ideally.

And this is coming from a 44 year old life time Ilves fan. At least Finns should know that Koivula plays for Ilves, the rival of Laine's FEL-team, Tappara. I have always immensely hated Tappara, but still absolutely love Laine as a player for his pure skill and enormous potential. So I should be in fact biased towards Koivula, if they were even close to each others in any area of hockey. But as I mentioned already, the only thing they really have in common is their big size. And that's about it...

Vohaul

Jan 24, 2017
Oh come on! He has really nothing else similar with Laine but the huge size. He is much weaker skater than Laine was last year in FEL and he also doesn't have even close to the shot that Laine has. Well, maybe hands are a bit towards what Laine has, but even there he is still pretty much behind Laine.

Just different class of talents. He might though have a shot with a lot of training with his skating and explosiveness to become some day maybe a 3rd line NHL'er, if everything goes pretty much perfectly. But I can't see a better future for him even ideally.

And this is coming from a 44 year old life time Ilves fan. At least Finns should know that Koivula plays for Ilves, the rival of Laine's FEL-team, Tappara. I have always immensely hated Tappara, but still absolutely love Laine as a player for his pure skill and enormous potential. So I should be in fact biased towards Koivula, if they were even close to each others in any area of hockey. But as I mentioned already, the only thing they really have in common is their big size. And that's about it...

That's almost completely how I feel, a lifelong Ilves fan (Im 35 btw) but can't help but respect Tappara for developing guys like Laine and Barkov, guys that will be the leaders in the national team in the coming years.
Koivula is definitely not the same level of talent Laine is.
A good player for sure and a solid goal scorer.. but unless he has some kind of crazy unprecended development in the next few years I can't see him ever reaching that level.

Anyway, hopefully things are looking up for Ilves now with change of ownership etc.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
How has he been on 5vs5? Looked at the stats and it seems nearly all of his goals have been on the powerplay(7/9) and over half of his total points too.

From highlights, it seems he has a really good shot from the right circle on the powerplay but how is rest of his game?

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Exciting prospect for sure. He is also very late birthday compared to his draft class. If he was born two weeks later, he could've been a 1st rounder in the 2017 draft.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Really a big fan of this kid. Definitely a dark horse prospect to be an impact player in the NHL.

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
Scored the GWG on overtime today. 3 points in 3 games in the series vs Tappara so far.

If he can improve his skating, could be a really good player for the Isles.

He looks so confident in playoff-games. Really good sign for his career.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Still at least 2 years from being NHL-ready.

Next step is being impact player in Liiga.

edit. Nothing similar with Laine, even totally different style.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Pretty good rookie year for him. Posting 0.6PPG and even better in playoffs.

Next year +40 points for him. I hope he can grow his speed during the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad