LW/RW Kirill Kaprizov - CSKA Moscow, KHL (2015, 135th, MIN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Getting drafted high in KHL draft doesn't mean anything. Most of the top Russian prospects don't even get drafted as they are already under contract with a KHL club.

HC Bienne

@llopesso19
Mar 13, 2012
Bienne, Swiss
www.eurohockey.com
well he was the best 97 this year in MHL. ONLY Valentin Razumnyak(late 96) did better. Pilipenko another late 96 did very good also.

you have already 3 kids for for nhl 2015 draft.

Last edited:

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Scored his girst career KHL goal yesterday, now has 3 points (1+2) in 12 games - http://video.khl.ru/quotes/257553 .

KHL profile: http://en.khl.ru/players/21131/
MHL profile: http://mhl.khl.ru/en/players/21131/

Honestly, I can't say Kaprizov strikes me as some super-talent, and his agent's comparison to Sergei Makarov was just head sctraching (maybe skating style is distantly similar), but he seems to be a smart and hard working player. His coaches have also talked really high of him in both MHL and Kuznya, and he got a lot of playing time with veterans Stoa and Kosourov.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He and Guryanov were considered as the best Russian prospects of 2015 draft. But while Guryanov is trying to establish himself as a KHL starter, Kaprizov is already one. He's played in all 6 games for Novukuznetsk, with almost 16 min TOI averagely , and already scored 4 points. It looks like his line is the top line of the team. I heared people compared him to Sergey Makarov. Makarov wasn't considered as a great prospect at age 18, before he skyrocketed in his 19-20 yo season.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Big fan of this kid. Plays bigger than his size and seem well adjusted to the pro game already. Minnesota got a good one here.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
He and Guryanov were considered as the best Russian prospects of 2015 draft. But while Guryanov is trying to establish himself as a KHL starter, Kaprizov is already one. He's played in all 6 games for Novukuznetsk, with almost 16 min TOI averagely , and already scored 4 points. It looks like his line is the top line of the team. I heared people compared him to Sergey Makarov. Makarov wasn't considered as a great prospect at age 18, before he skyrocketed in his 19-20 yo season.

Does he play a big-ice sort of game?

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Most Russians play "big-ice sort of game". I mean, he's a good skater and he has good hands. He can shoot and he can pass. He's just a little bit small.

I ask because when you have a player this size, Russian or NA, its about can they survive in an environment where getting the puck to the net is of utmost importance. Whether you do it with speed, elusiveness, or pure strength, the one thing in common is the mindset of getting towards the net.

Some skilled players in juniors on European ice rinks don't translate into NHL because they are so used to producing from the outside of the rink. They might have great vision and hands on the rush but when the play slows down and they don't find a way to play closer to the net, NHL-level players know how to contain them.

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Kaprizov's most impressive aspect is his ability to find openings, both as a playmaker (this is why he often runs the PP) and as. a player to pass to. He never shies away from corners and loves to play in front of the net. He doesn't have a good shot or some crazy puck or skating skill, but he's very smart and elusive. He sure doesn't play prototypical NA style, but I think he would do well on small ice, if coaches use him right.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Kaprizov is already 3+5 after 13 games. Btw Tarasenko at the same age (an even being a little bit older) scored 24 points in 42 games. And Kaprizov plays on the 1st line, while Tarasenko was a 3rd liner. Of course his team was much stronger, but still...

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I disagree with Alcabeth here, in the past few games especially he has shown exceptional speed and moves with the puck. Last game he dangled a defenseman one on one, beat him as clean as one can with a great move and then today he was all over the ice making moves, blowing around another defenseman using pure speed. Maybe playing with Kazakov makes him appear slower, he is certainly a speedy skilled player, not to be confused with a role type player (Kulemin or someone).

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Kaprizov is already 3+5 after 13 games. Btw Tarasenko at the same age (an even being a little bit older) scored 24 points in 42 games. And Kaprizov plays on the 1st line, while Tarasenko was a 3rd liner. Of course his team was much stronger, but still...
Well, to be fair, Kuznya literally has no one other to play. The top scoring forward after Kazakov, Stoa and Kaprizov has 3 points.
And actually Tarasenko was a bit younger: he started the 2009-10 season as a 17 year old, his birthdays is in December, while Kaprizov is of age since April.

I disagree with Alcabeth here, in the past few games especially he has shown exceptional speed and moves with the puck. Last game he dangled a defenseman one on one, beat him as clean as one can with a great move and then today he was all over the ice making moves, blowing around another defenseman using pure speed. Maybe playing with Kazakov makes him appear slower, he is certainly a speedy skilled player, not to be confused with a role type player (Kulemin or someone).
Agree to disagree. Yes, Kaprizov has been skating better this year, I've never said he wouldn't make a progress, but look at his acceleration and losing speed while turning - not on a great level. He's an intelligent player and knows when he's capable of beating a defenseman and when he's not, it makes him appear fast when he does it, but if you follow him the whole game, you'll see that his skating still has flaws.

Who ever called him a role type player and compared to Kulemin? :)

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Well, to be fair, Kuznya literally has no one other to play. The top scoring forward after Kazakov, Stoa and Kaprizov has 3 points.
And actually Tarasenko was a bit younger: he started the 2009-10 season as a 17 year old, his birthdays is in December, while Kaprizov is of age since April.

I mean 2010-2011 season. Of course Tarasenko was injured that season, but he still didn't look any more solid, than Kaprizov right now.

steap

Aug 15, 2008
Novosibirsk, Russia
Sibir at season 09/10 took 20 place of 24. So it wasn't MUCH stronger. Maybe a bit.
Anyway - good stats by Kaprizov. Hope he will be at least as good as Tarasenko.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
Sibir at season 09/10 took 20 place of 24. So it wasn't MUCH stronger. Maybe a bit.
Anyway - good stats by Kaprizov. Hope he will be at least as good as Tarasenko.

You and me both. As well as every other Wild fan :nod:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Honestly anyone who did a tiny bit of statistical homework could see that this guy had steal potential. It just boggles my mind that teams would take potential fourth liners at best over someone like Kaprizov. If he turns out, the Wild scouts will be praised as geniuses even though I could have made that pick. There's no guarantee he'll turn out, but he's a mug better bet than a facepuncher.

P10p

May 15, 2012
with his 3 assists this game....

Tarasenko had 19pts in 42gp in his 19 yr old season in the KHL

Kaprizov has 17pts in 27gp in his 18 yr old season in the KHL

Not trying to say hes going to be better than Tarasenko because imo Tarasenko will always be the superior play (comming from a wild fan i hope I'm wrong) Just shows how good he is progressing though.

Already the 4th highest scoring 18 year old in the history of the KHL.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I know a few of you Russian posters sometimes have updates to us on the other side of the pond.

Obviously statistically speaking, Kirill is doing great. But, is he actually performing as well as his stats indicate? Or has he been lucky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->