LW/RW Isak Rosén - Leksands, SuperElit (2021, 14th, BUF)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Figured he's prominent enough now to have his own thread...lots of talk about guys like Fabian Lysell, Liam Dower Nilsson, William Eklund and Simon Robertsson among Swedish 2021 forwards but the most productive guy (at least at club level) has been Rosén.

Not a big guy but off to a scorching start (if EP stats are correct) as one of the youngest players in SuperElit this year...7 points in 4 games.

Seems like a big-time riser among Swedish forwards and one to watch for. Can any Swedish prospect fans offer a scouting report and whether he looks to be ascending into a top prospect in his age group?

Reactions: bukwas

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
1st i heard of him was last week on a prospects radio show. Whoever the scout was didn't go into great detail as he was mostly concentrating on the 2020 crowd but did sound genuinely excited.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What's his playing style like? I ask this because on a line with Lysell he was getting him the puck and making good puck decisions. He wasn't doing much puck carrying or dangling. It was hard to tell his actual skill level because it seemed like the game plan for him and his other line-mate revolved completely around getting Lysell the puck immediately.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
They say he's taken big steps in the SHL lately. Anyone seen him play?

Been very good in SHL. Wants the puck and tries to make plays. This year might be too early but I see him producing next year already. Tries and fails sometimes but plays with confidence and looks to work hard. Got a lot of opportunity from the coaches so they seem to love him which is very important of course.

This is a star. Great playmaker and reading the game, running a power play. Not quite as dynamic as recent top guys like Holtz, Raymond, Gunler, Lysell but I think he could be going very early.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Been very good in SHL. Wants the puck and tries to make plays. This year might be too early but I see him producing next year already. Tries and fails sometimes but plays with confidence and looks to work hard. Got a lot of opportunity from the coaches so they seem to love him which is very important of course.

This is a star. Great playmaker and reading the game, running a power play. Not quite as dynamic as recent top guys like Holtz, Raymond, Gunler, Lysell but I think he could be going very early.

Saw Rosén play in J20 earlier this season. With the puck he really has everything to become a very good offensive player, he's bigger than Lysell and Eklund, he's got skill and he's a beautiful skater. I have a big problem with him shying away from the dirty areas though, he doesn't fight to win pucks back and he just floats around the ice too much. He'd be way too good for J20 if he didn't have those habits on the ice. Maybe it's something he can learn in the SHL.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Saw Rosén play in J20 earlier this season. With the puck he really has everything to become a very good offensive player, he's bigger than Lysell and Eklund, he's got skill and he's a beautiful skater. I have a big problem with him shying away from the dirty areas though, he doesn't fight to win pucks back and he just floats around the ice too much. He'd be way too good for J20 if he didn't have those habits on the ice. Maybe it's something he can learn in the SHL.
My concerns as well. He was really frustrating in the junior games I watched. Allergic to the defensive side of the game and not willing to engage physically. The skill is there though. I look forward to watching him in February and seeing if his game has come along at all.

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
My favorite draft eligible player in the tourney. The part that stuck out to be is that he wasn't weak on the puck even at 153, speaks to his leg/core strength. I don't think NJ will be able to get him with the Islanders pick so I hope NJ trades up to grab him.

Reactions: Guttersniped

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

His shorthanded goal yesterday, Heimosalmi(voted tournament's best defenseman) was on the defending end.

His PP goal that ended up being the GWG against Finland off a great feed from Strömgren.

Sweden's sole goal in the semis loss against Canada.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Yeah he was the biggest riser to me from this tournament.

Hard to get a grasp on a player watching him play minimal minutes in the SHL, but he really took advantage of the opportunity and showed his diverse skill set. He was consistently one of, if not the best, Swede throughout.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Good to see he has a strong one timer from the top of the circle on the power play. I was worried he wasn't going to be effective there. He cemented himself as an A rated prospect now.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I really liked what I saw as the tournament went on. I wasn't really seeing what everyone was the first number of times I watched him play over the last two seasons, but the most recent two viewings I really was impressed with how good his skating/stick skills looked. I think he's probably a slight riser. I'd be surprised if he wasn't a first round pick.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Swedish forward Isak Rosen plays for Leksands and their affiliated teams. In 22 games in the SHL, he had just one assist. The 17-year-old struggled to find his feet playing against men. However, he was much better when playing against opponents his age. Rosen scored seven goals and five assists for 12 points in the J20 league. He also had two goals and four points in one game in the J18. Rosen really excelled at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships, scoring seven goals and two assists for nine points in seven games. He was named a top-three player on the team and helped the Swedes to a bronze medal.

In 2019-20, Rosen put up 21 goals and 14 assists for 35 points in 38 games in the J20. It was the most points by any Under-17-year-old in the league. He also played for the Swedish National Team at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. Rosen scored two points in five tournament games. He had three points in one regular-season game in the J18. Rosen also added four points in a playoff game before the pandemic shut down the season.

2021 NHL Draft #22: Isak Rosen Scouting Report - LWOS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad