LW/RW Denis Gurianov (2015, 12th, DAL)

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I really hope he puts it together, but it’s not looking good for him. Top six in the AHL next year and hopefully some NHL games.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I really hope he puts it together, but it’s not looking good for him. Top six in the AHL next year and hopefully some NHL games.

He'll have all the opportunity in the world to take a spot on the big club next season.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
He'll have all the opportunity in the world to take a spot on the big club next season.

Will he?

Benn - Seguin - Rads
Janmark - Spezza - UFA
Shore - Faksa - Pitlick
Smith/Elie/Dickinson/Hanzal/Ritchie/Hintz

That looks like 5 lines of players he can't beat.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Will he?

Benn - Seguin - Rads
Janmark - Spezza - UFA
Shore - Faksa - Pitlick

I'd take Gurianov over Smith, Elie, and Ritchie easily right now. You forgot Nichushkin though, so yeah it's likely Gurianov doesnt make the NHL next year.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Will he?

Benn - Seguin - Rads
Janmark - Spezza - UFA
Shore - Faksa - Pitlick

Injuries do happen although I'm not stating he'll make the team out of camp but I believe there will definitely be opportunities if he progresses in Texas.

Dallas do not have the strongest bottom 6 on offense today.

account deactivated

Feb 28, 2008
ATX
I'd take Gurianov over Smith, Elie, and Ritchie easily right now. You forgot Nichushkin though, so yeah it's likely Gurianov doesnt make the NHL next year.

I'd only take him over Ritchie and Shore as they're both absolute garbage. Smith and Elie actually can play their roles well enough, whereas unless Gurianov is in the top 6, he's a waste since he's too weak defensively to be effective in the bottom 6.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Had a feeling he gonna bust right after he was picked. The most infamous russian taken in the 1st round at that draft and so high. He should have gone early in the 2nd but not in the 1st. I remember how great Kucherov was at u-18 in his draft year. Just unbelievable in every game with a unprecedented numbers at the end of the tourney. He went 58th at his draft. And this guy was 12th based on what? Just skating and size. A random HFer can be no worse of a scout than those so called pros.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Gurianov has NHL talent but he is not thriving in Texas. Dallas has to make a decision as to whether they want to invest further in him or trade him and give him a chance somewhere else. They could probably get a good minor league player for him, since he just turned 21 a few days ago.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I wish I could have watched more of the AHL playoffs, but I saw limited action of the Tuscon series (he looked decent) and then his two games so far in the finals (he has looked awful). He seems wildly inconsistent which isn't good.. but when he is "off" he is awful. The past two games in the Calder Cup finals he has been invisible, created nothing, and is a warm body on the ice.

Another wasted pick by Joe McDonnell and his scouting staff. Not sure why he still has a job at this point.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Gurianov has NHL talent but he is not thriving in Texas. Dallas has to make a decision as to whether they want to invest further in him or trade him and give him a chance somewhere else. They could probably get a good minor league player for him, since he just turned 21 a few days ago.

At this point, I question whether a change of scenery will help.
He gets drafted 12th, then stagnates with Lada the following year, then goes overseas and is doing the same in Texas.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He had a very good training camp and pre-season and now looks like it carried over into the AHL . Maybe him spending a ton of time with the other Russians in training camp go him fired up ?

Or maybe its the new system(s) in both the NHL and AHL but Denis is looking much better. He looks like a surefire callup once some injuries hit in Dallas. Rooting for his success the team needs scoring wingers.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Stars sent Hintz down today, and Jim Nill is attending the Texas Stars game tonight for some reason.

Monty said early today that calling up another forward to replace Hintz was still "to be determined".

Good for Gurianov. Could've just earned himself a call-up

Reactions: Leopain

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is still looking like a good pick. Let me explain why.

This guy was always going to be a project. Expecting him to be NHL ready much before now was always going to be overly optimistic due to his style of play. Most his age would be entering their second AHL season. He's now NHL ready at the beginning of his second. A lot need two full seasons , and therefore aren't ready until they are 22. He's ready at 21, so he's already ahead, although maybe not what you'd expect from a top pick, but think back to what I just said. He was a project. He needs to be judged differently.

I think he made a dumb decision by leaving Russia early, and that'll probably end up hurting the eventual level he reaches compared to the level he could've reached. He still should be a real pain for NHL teams to deal with. When you play Dallas, you know they have some good players that you gotta be aware of, but you always have to watch out for the big guy with elite speed who has the ability to cause an odd man rush out of nothing. Thats a skill-set in the NHL that we don't see much of. Having that type of player is a big bonus to Dallas roster. Teams have to game plan and defend you differently because you have that threat in your team. In 7 or 8 years, no one will care if Connor or DeBrusk are very slightly better hockey players than Guryanov. There are so many NHL players with the types of skillsets that Connor, DeBrusk, Meier have.

I think Guryanov would do well to try to copy Chris Kreider, and then that could make him even better. He should know his strengths and weaknesses. He's 6'3 with speed. He shouldn't try to play like he's 5'8 with a great hockey IQ. If this guy can become a power forward to go along with his speed and shot, he'll be one of the most valuable assets in the league. He should work on putting on some weight, learning to play net front and learning to work in the corners. I'm telling you having watched Kreider for a lot of years that Kreider is such a pain for other teams to deal with. More than probably any player on our roster. Stars fans will likely say the same thing about Guryanov, even if he's not your best player.

Reactions: Kcb12345

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
By all accounts it seemed like Gurianov was in a toxic environment with Togliatti. Wasn’t get much playing time or developmental work. It’s been a while, but it seemed like all sides were fine/wanting him to move to NA.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I think he made a dumb decision by leaving Russia early, and that'll probably end up hurting the eventual level he reaches compared to the level he could've reached.

He was stagnating in Russia making no real progress, no one can say for sure he would have been better had he stayed. Just as it's impossible to say Dergachyov and Korshkov for example are better in the long run for staying in Russia extra years.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Gurianov with 2 assists tonight. 12 points in 11 games now

Leads the Texas Stars in goals, points, and is tied for the lead in assists

Reactions: savard95 and Jtown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->