LW/RW Denis Gurianov (2015, 12th, DAL)

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Talented player, I still think he might figure it out. Reminiscent of Chris Kreider with less of the PWF elements and a better shot. Guryanov will get a lot of breakaways due to his skating, it'll happen at all levels. There aren't many who can skate with him.

Sounds a lot like Nichushkin. Had so many breakaways because of his skating but rarely finished on them

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He has shown some great flashes of play this year. Some highlight reel goals to go along with it too. Should be given a legit shot to make the team out of training camp

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
He is as streaky as they come. Looks like a top 10 talent for a handful of games then disappears for too long. Im not the biggest fan of how he has been used in the AHL and hope he is either in Dallas next year or stapled to the top line and getting all the PP minutes. I want to see what he does with 20 a night. If him and Roope dont make the team next year I want to see those 2 stuck together for the entire year in CP

Reactions: Timani and Kcb12345

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
I am amazed at how his numbers compare to those of Maksim Mayorov in the AHL.

Both came over at 19.
Both overhyped.
Both put up pedestrian numbers (30ish points).

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
A late bloomer or what's the verdict today? The ahl development needed?

MichalRozsival

Apr 29, 2018
Definitely another year at least in the AHL. Put up 0.45 pts/game. I wouldn't say he's old enough to write him off so he's definitely still on my radar but as of now he needs a year or two in the minors.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Definitely another year at least in the AHL. Put up 0.45 pts/game. I wouldn't say he's old enough to write him off so he's definitely still on my radar but as of now he needs a year or two in the minors.

He'll be getting a few callups to Dallas next season I believe.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
He is very streaky. At times looks like a top 10 talent but the disappears for a bit after. His AHL numbers arent great but until recently he also hasnt really gotten the minutes you would like a 12th pick to get.

The Texas coach is all about the vets and wasnt giving any quality top 6 or PP time to our top prospects. The org seems to be thinking about a push to trusting youth more (at least that is what Nill has been saying to the media) and the Texas lines have looked like the reflect that though more recently and coincidentally he has played better. He was drafted for his speed and offensive ability but has been strapped to the 4th line in the AHL for way longer than he should.

I get there is a certain level of "he needs to earn it" for the top line minutes but at the same time you would imagine the GM should be pushing pretty hard to get the guy they took at 12 to get the best chance to succeed.

All in all I think he needs an other AHL year but should get a few call ups next year. If Nill is really serious about the push to trust the youth, he needs to let a few of our AHL vets that Laxdal uses as a crutch go so he has no choice but to give the kids more ice

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Haven't seen much of him tbh but some of the underlying numbers are concerning.

Only 110 Shots in 74 games and rode those 19 goals on the back of a 17% Shooting percentage. He's averaging less than 1.5 shots per game in the American league. I see some references to his usage.

How many minutes is he getting per night? PP minutes? Zone starts? Linemates?

Anyone have a source for that data for AHL players?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
He's not good.

Dallas could've had Matt Barzal or Kyle Connor, instead they may have taken the worst player drafted in the first round.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Haven't seen much of him tbh but some of the underlying numbers are concerning.

Only 110 Shots in 74 games and rode those 19 goals on the back of a 17% Shooting percentage. He's averaging less than 1.5 shots per game in the American league. I see some references to his usage.

How many minutes is he getting per night? PP minutes? Zone starts? Linemates?

Anyone have a source for that data for AHL players?

He isn't good you don't need to analyze numbers.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
notsureifsrs or mocking the poster above you....as you say in an earlier post 'he's only 20'.

He is only 20 was more in reference to already saying hes a bust. But after watching the AHL playoffs now I can say he isn't very good.. shows flashes but is incredibly inconsistent. So, I wouldn't write him off yet but one more season in the AHL then he probably goes back to KHL unless he has major improvement next year.

Reactions: LiasAndersson

Leopain

Jun 15, 2017
Not saying it will be the case, but let's not forget Ryan Johansen was a healty scratch in the AHL playoffs before becoming a first line centre in the NHL.

Let's wait and see. Bigger guys usually take longer to develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad