LW Robert Mastrosimone - Chicago Steel, USHL (2019, 54th, DET)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I was able to fly back to Chicago a few weeks back and was lucky enough to catch one of my favorite teams, the Chicago Steel. I mainly went to see Blake McLaughlin who hands down won me over as a top prospect for this draft, but I also came away absolutely impressed with Mastrosimone.

He definitely looked undersized as not really by height but his overall mass was just slim. But this kid was flying out there, with excellent skills and vision, easily top 3 overall player on the ice for either team as an 01.

Haven't heard much if anything about the BU recruit - hopefully we can generate some talk on this kid as he looks a potential top pick for the 2019 draft if he continues to fill out.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I've been following him the past year, I was really surprised he didn't make the NTDP. He's having the best non-NTDP rookie season in the USHL so far.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
I've been following him the past year, I was really surprised he didn't make the NTDP. He's having the best non-NTDP rookie season in the USHL so far.
At the NTDP eval camp, he was coming back from a knee injury that had cut short his season with SSM Prep, where he was putting up big numbers. A few observer thought he deserved to make the U17s but obviously showed enough for Chicago Steel to tender him.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
figured I bump this up- was talking about him in another thread, it will be interesting to see how he does on the US Hlinka team...that is a solid team overall and I expect Mastrosimone to be one of the producers for this squad..

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I drafted this guy in Eastside Hockey Manager and he was good so that should translate to real life, right?

Reactions: Konnan511

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mastrosimone wind up as one of the top scorers in the USHL this season. Always involved in the play and knows how to finish. Lots to like about his game.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Even going off of the most basic stat-watching, his name should pique one's interest, because he went 0.75PPG (60GP / 45P) in his D-1. He needs Toastmasters training, though.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I don't see his skating being good enough to be a 1st rounder but that's just one persons opinion... his point totals need to be taken with a grain of salt, the USHL isn't a great league and he's on a pretty good and older team...
Last year Chicago was a good team, but not this year.
ranked the second worst before the season began

USHL September Power Rankings

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I don't see his skating being good enough to be a 1st rounder but that's just one persons opinion... his point totals need to be taken with a grain of salt, the USHL isn't a great league and he's on a pretty good and older team...
I don't find his skating that bad. Maybe some shotty acceleration, but a good top speed and edges. He's a dynamic offensive player though, with a wicked snapshot and great hands.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The USHL is known as the hardest junior league to put points up.

I think the USHL is low scoring because most of the best payers tend to play on one team and the rest. including them usually are gone by 18 for college. The USHL is basically just a College feeder league. I'd bet some BCHL and AJHL teams could give some USHL teams a run for their money.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
I think the USHL is low scoring because most of the best payers tend to play on one team and the rest. including them usually are gone by 18 for college. The USHL is basically just a College feeder league. I'd bet some BCHL and AJHL teams could give some USHL teams a run for their money.
I see the BCHL as a wide open and little defense type of league. Then all the CHL teams just a step up when it comes to defense. Very wide open type of hockey! Many worry about going the USHL route because of stats from everything I hear.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Maybe, but probably not. Guys who are cut from USHL teams end up on BCHL and AJHL rosters. Again, it could happen, but theres a very clear gap between them

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
The USHL is known as the hardest junior league to put points up.

not true IMO, its not hard to put up points, there's just not that much skill in it these last few years. (outside the NDTP) The older players tend to be most of the ones putting up big point numbers because they are more physically mature and have been in the league for 3 years. Not a lot of 17 year old finish near the top of the league in scoring each year!

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad