LW Ridly Greig - Ottawa Senators, NHL (2020, 28th, OTT)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Sounds like a wise level. In Allsvenskan they would probably get 5-10 min per match as a fourth liner. Wallinder for Modo mostly played with the juniors and he will be a first rounder this year. Sure Modo is one of the best teams in the league but still.

True but I would think playing in J20 SuperElit though the players are smaller and younger , would probably be a league with more skilled players and better for them .

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I have no idea what people see in this player. He's so vanilla. I don't see a single trait in his game that stands out as something that will for sure translate to the NHL. I'm astonished to see that HP has him #14. He's not a 1st rounder for me. Maybe early 2nd round but that's more due to how weak this draft is. In a stronger draft year I wouldn't look at him until the 3rd round most likely. He seems to have some smarts, I'll give him that, but when your other attributes are merely good and not great or elite you're gonna have a long road ahead of you to get to the show. He's like a poor man's Sam Bennett. Overrated due to compete level and tenacity, despite not having any size.

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Overrated due to compete level and tenacity, despite not having any size.

His dad and uncle both played in the NHL. He is really light, but you have to figure he’ll fill out. I think people see a pest who is a competitor that skates well who could eventually be 5’11” and 190 like his dad. He won’t be in the NHL for awhile, but what is this kid going to look like when he is 23?

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Greig, & McClennon will not play in Sweden after all. No approval from their teams(Hockey Canada, and IIHF were involved in that part), but they had signed contracts, and transfer cards were ready. No reasoning given from the two other than that they won't join Karlskrona.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Not according to Wheeler at the Athletic. One of the big losers.

Wheeler is the dummy who had Stutzle at #7, and Sanderson at #17...And then Greig at #64 (LOL)....Go figure he didnt like Ottawas draft, its basically the anti thesis to his own opinion. History is on the Sens scouts side at this point in time.

Bob Mckenzie had Stutzle at #2, and 3 of the 10 (head) scouts he polled had Sanderson at #3OV in the entire draft. And nearly everyone (media and fans alike) are in agreement that Ottawa killed it today, the Greig pick included (#24 on Bobs list).

Wheeler's take is pure fluff until proven otherwise.

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
We're talking about a guy who ranked Stutzle 7th and Sanderson in the mid-teens.

Not worth paying attention to.

Oh wow... Stutzle at 7 that's nuts.

Anyways looking forward to see what Greig can do. I think he'll fit right in with the playing style of this team and he's underrated offensively.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I have no idea what people see in this player. He's so vanilla. I don't see a single trait in his game that stands out as something that will for sure translate to the NHL. I'm astonished to see that HP has him #14. He's not a 1st rounder for me. Maybe early 2nd round but that's more due to how weak this draft is. In a stronger draft year I wouldn't look at him until the 3rd round most likely. He seems to have some smarts, I'll give him that, but when your other attributes are merely good and not great or elite you're gonna have a long road ahead of you to get to the show. He's like a poor man's Sam Bennett. Overrated due to compete level and tenacity, despite not having any size.
Weak draft? As a sens fan this post gave me alot of hope on Greig. Glad you are giving him a scathing analysis if I saw a positive one id be worried.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
as a sens fan this pick really excites me.

Late birthday allowing for more growth and development?..... check
Can skate at a pro level?..... check
Plays like a pest and throws other players off their games?.... check
offensive upside? ... point per game in 17 year old season ..... check

he doesn't weigh much but lots of time for this kid to add on the pounds. I feel comfortable betting on him to be one of the better players taken at #28 OVR.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
As another posted said earlier in the thread, he really reminds me of Alex Formenton in a way. He's light but he plays hard and hits everything he can and has decent hands. Formenton was around 160 when he was drafted and is now 190, similar size and I would assume Greig will be around that by the time he's in the NHL.

Maybe a bit like Pageau as well, I think he has good playmaking ability kinda like JGP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->