LW Ridly Greig - Ottawa Senators, NHL (2020, 28th, OTT)

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Took a 5 minute major about a minute in to his first game this year and got suspended for 3 games

High end skill game. Smooth skater but not explosive. Should put up a lot of points this year as he will see alot of PP time and top 6 minutes
Where do you think he'll be drafted?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Very skilled player who plays a lot bigger than his size. His hit was clean IMO but it was borderline. As to where he goes in the draft I'd say anywhere from late 1st-early 3rd based on his skill/style/previous production and should be a solid mid 6er in the nhl if things progress as expected

Reactions: Dominance

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Where do you think he'll be drafted?
From what I saw he’s a likely second rounder, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he got picked in the 20’s by a team who really likes him. He’s a real solid all around F who can skate and plays aggressive. He showed quite a bit of poise and ability to make plays too at the Hlinka and Hlinka camp.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Was dominant tonight in Saskatoon and while it might have surprised some people seeing him that high on bobs list it shouldn't. Very consistent player and even if he doesn't show up on the score sheet he's still a positive impact player with his defensive+physical play. Brandon's youth has progressed really well this year and Greig is the one leading the charge for the forwards. If he keeps progressing the way he has so far he could definitely end up a 1st rounder

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Would not be surprised if Greig climbs into the top 20. I don't know if I will get there on him personally but some team is going to fall in love with the centers combination of speed, skill, and physicality. Skating is a strength, can really fly in transition and pull away from opponents. Doesn't have a ton of stop start, east-west in his game yet which is something he will need to work on. Added strength is going to really help him further improve his skating. I love his shot mechanics (quick release, and change of angles) on his wrist shot and his onetimer which are amongst the best of any WHL draft eligible and could see him turn into a really good goalscorer. He shows flashes as a passer with some creative feeds, but he doesn't yet consistently show high end vision. I also think his hands can reach another level as he's rarely making plays through defenders yet, more relying on speed off the rush and puck protection in the zone. Much of his production came off the rush and on the power play and he's not yet a dominant 5 on 5 player. There are some mitigating factors as he was carrying a lot of responsibility for Brandon going up against other teams top lines and didn't have high end offensive linemates. Greig is one of the biggest hitters in the WHL which is shocking given his thin frame and youth. When he's on the ice you have to have your head up, he has some Mike Richards in his game with hits occasionally bordering on predatory and a lot of edge. Really young as an August birthdate and physically immature, this player is nowhere near a finished product. He has a ton of tools and a play style valued by professional hockey, which is why I suspect scouts will value him higher than most on here. You're drafting for the player he could become as he is raw right now and doesn't have much consistency in his game. Personally have had a hard time weighing him vs Zary in my rankings, with Zary far ahead right now, but Greig nearly a full year younger with more room to grow.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Yeah Greig really improved over the year and especially his consistency in the 2nd half where he was on his game every night basically. 1st half he'd have some up and down showing but the entire Brandon team stuggled a bit in the 1st half. Should be a swiss knife as he has the skill to be a energy guy in a top 6 role who plays the defensive role or can drive a line in the bottom 6. Can also play all 3 forward positions and is a high character kid. Should end up around 6 ft 200ish lbs so will be even more of a force in his 20's

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Would you compare him to Gallagher?
Doesn't have that level of hustle, or play around the net as much. Greig is also taller and has a chance to stick as a centre at the next level. Similar in terms of being a pest and hard to play against though

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Ridly Greig Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #33 - Last Word on Hockey

Ridly Greig was taken 8th overall in the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft. This season has been a breakout campaign for the Brandon Wheat Kings centre. He has scored 26 goals and 34 assists for 60 points in just 56 games played before the season was stopped. Greig scored the Teddy Bear Toss goal for the Wheat Kings this season. In the summer he also got the opportunity to play for Team Canada at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup, winning a silver medal. Greig put up two goals and an assist for three points in five games at the tournament.

Greig scored 14 goals and 21 assists for 35 points in 63 games played last year. He also made an appearance on the international stage. Greig was part of Team Canada Red at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, picking up one assist in six tournament games. The son of former NHLer, and 1990 first-round pick Mark Greig who played 125 NHL games along with having a long minor-league career. He is now a scout with the Philadelphia Flyers. His uncle, Bruce Greig, was also an NHL draftee, an eighth-round pick of the California Golden Seals, who played in both the NHL and WHA.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Would you take Greig over Brendan Brisson if that's the two guys your scouting team was haggling over?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Would you take Greig over Brendan Brisson if that's the two guys your scouting team was haggling over?
I'd take Greig over Brisson yes. Brisson has a tad higher offensive upside but Greig is a much more complete player and always will have a positive impact on the game even if he doesn't put up points. Also a more versatile player who can play in any role

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Looking forward to your top 31 rankings.

Too bad the Lafreniere dream has died for your Canadiens...for now, at least.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Rille

Jan 22, 2011
Örnsköldsvik
Seems like a pretty low level of hockey to play overseas. They couldnt find anything better?

Sounds like a wise level. In Allsvenskan they would probably get 5-10 min per match as a fourth liner. Wallinder for Modo mostly played with the juniors and he will be a first rounder this year. Sure Modo is one of the best teams in the league but still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad