LW Nolan Foote - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2019, 27th, TBL, traded to NJ)

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
How much are you valuing this exactly, let's say compare to skating ability?

I'm not a pro scout, so I'm not personally placing any value in it. From what Murray said however, Nolan was in a group of 5 prospects that they hoped would be there, and because of Nolans familiarity with the organization and family connection it was an easy pick.

Developmental path is something that is difficult to place value in but obviously plays a part in this.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
How much are you valuing this exactly, let's say compare to skating ability?
Tampa Bay is excellent at developing skating ability, so I doubt this is high on Murray’s list.

Brayden Point was considered a below average skater at his draft - now he’s competing in the fastest skater competition at the All Star game.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This really makes me question NHL scouts selections at time, is he really your guy if you didn't pick his brother a couple of years prior? I doubt the answer is yes.
We are the same organization that passed on Filip Forsberg for Slater freaking Koekkoek and took Cal Foote when the only D taken to that point was Miro.

It is more than possible Foote was our target all along

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yes he's played for Canada at the Hlinka and the u17s.
Should be noted, neither of those tournaments lock you into a country. They aren't official IIHF events. He could still switch.
You question Al Murray? Wow..
For all the credit Murray deserves for his late round drafting, it is not like his first round drafting has been flawless. He notably reached for Koekkeok over Forsberg. He took Drouin over Seth Jones. The only real home-run he's hit in the first round is Vasilvesky. DeAngelo may finally be turning it around, but they had to sell him for less than they drafted him not too long after drafting him. Howden will probably be an average to slightly above value for a late first, in that he's likely a longterm top 9 forward, and maybe he exceeds that, but we don't know. Cal Foote it is too early to tell. Namestinkov is slightly above average compared to the usual 27th pick. If you look at Murray's first round picks in isolation, it is not really above average. Now, his home runs in the 2nd and later with guys like Point, Kucherov, and to a lesser extent guys like Cirelli, Joseph, and Palat, have earned his drafting reputation.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Should be noted, neither of those tournaments lock you into a country. They aren't official IIHF events. He could still switch.

For all the credit Murray deserves for his late round drafting, it is not like his first round drafting has been flawless. He notably reached for Koekkeok over Forsberg. He took Drouin over Seth Jones. The only real home-run he's hit in the first round is Vasilvesky. DeAngelo may finally be turning it around, but they had to sell him for less than they drafted him not too long after drafting him. Howden will probably be an average to slightly above value for a late first, in that he's likely a longterm top 9 forward, and maybe he exceeds that, but we don't know. Cal Foote it is too early to tell. Namestinkov is slightly above average compared to the usual 27th pick. If you look at Murray's first round picks in isolation, it is not really above average. Now, his home runs in the 2nd and later with guys like Point, Kucherov, and to a lesser extent guys like Cirelli, Joseph, and Palat, have earned his drafting reputation.
I'm not going to excuse his record in the first, cause there's been some pretty egregious misses (DeAngelo, Koekkoek) and reaches (Koekkoek, this very Foote pick), but generally the team has been able to turn those misses into wins.

Drouin into Sergachev, Howden big piece of McDonagh deal, Connolly into some picks that I believe helped us get Coburn.

I get that it's not Murray facilitating those trades or anything, but at least as an organization, they've been able to escape their misses in the early draft.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm not going to excuse his record in the first, cause there's been some pretty egregious misses (DeAngelo, Koekkoek) and reaches (Koekkoek, this very Foote pick), but generally the team has been able to turn those misses into wins.

Drouin into Sergachev, Howden big piece of McDonagh deal, Connolly into some picks that I believe helped us get Coburn.

I get that it's not Murray facilitating those trades or anything, but at least as an organization, they've been able to escape their misses in the early draft.
I agree the Lightning have been smart on knowing when to cut bait. And, obviously, almost all teams would take Murray's overall draft record over what their team has done. But, obviously, when you draft guys like Drouin, your ideal situation isn't to trade them in 4 years for a younger and likely worse defensive prospect than the one you passed on.

My main point was, no NHL scout is beyond reproach or can't be questioned for a pick. Maybe Nolan Foote somehow turns into Jamie Benn, I highly doubt it, but it is a fringe outcome. Al Murray has some huge hits, but that doesn't mean his picks can't be analyzed or have skepticism attached. He's obviously earned a benefit of the doubt, that maybe you should question your opinions if his differs, but it also doesn't mean you should blindly follow it.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
I agree the Lightning have been smart on knowing when to cut bait. And, obviously, almost all teams would take Murray's overall draft record over what their team has done. But, obviously, when you draft guys like Drouin, your ideal situation isn't to trade them in 4 years for a younger and likely worse defensive prospect than the one you passed on.

My main point was, no NHL scout is beyond reproach or can't be questioned for a pick. Maybe Nolan Foote somehow turns into Jamie Benn, I highly doubt it, but it is a fringe outcome. Al Murray has some huge hits, but that doesn't mean his picks can't be analyzed or have skepticism attached. He's obviously earned a benefit of the doubt, that maybe you should question your opinions if his differs, but it also doesn't mean you should blindly follow it.

Agreed, I find it funny how people on here can call out drafting mistakes 3 days after the draft.... not even the teams know how this is all going to turn out right now but some dude on a laptop at 2AM after a case of Bud Light seems to know where a team messed up......

While its easy yo point to this pick as one that might not turn out, the fact is nobody will know anything for probably 5 years on how all these picks shake out. People are way to quick to dismiss prospects. If a kid is NCAA bound, it could be more than 3 years before he gets in an NHL game, and then you have to give them at least a couple of years to adapt to the league and pro game. Get acclimated to a line or defensive partner, could be even longer for goalies. Even if a kid is in Major Junior, he will likely be sent back for at least another year, and then will likely need some AHL seasoning because he's been playing against 16-17 year olds for the last year or two as an overager so even CHL kids, these teams don't really know what they have for 3-4 years. But I see people post threads about doing a 2018 Re-Draft? Bottom line, fans are nuts! lol It's the instant gratification everyone needs in 2019 I suppose.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

:huh:

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Congrats on him working out for you? He did not work out for us. That's a miss for Tampa, regardless of what he does somewhere else. Not much worth scratching your head over.

We still got fair value for him so it’s not like it was a bad pick. Are you gonna tell me Howden was a bad pick aswell since he didn’t do anything for us?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
We still got fair value for him so it’s not like it was a bad pick. Are you gonna tell me Howden was a bad pick aswell since he didn’t do anything for us?

We traded Howden because he was a valued piece and got a #2 Dman as part of the return.

We traded DeAngelo for a 2nd because he had maturity and attitude problems.

Apples and Oranges, so you're gonna have to take that somewhere else.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
We traded Howden because he was a valued piece and got a #2 Dman as part of the return.

We traded DeAngelo for a 2nd because he had maturity and attitude problems.

Apples and Oranges, so you're gonna have to take that somewhere else.

Both are gonna be good players for where they were picked. And Hajek who he was traded for will be good aswell. The fact that it isn’t with us doesn’t make the picks bad is all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->