LW Nolan Foote - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2019, 27th, TBL, traded to NJ)

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
Tampa Bay is excellent at developing skating ability, so I doubt this is high on Murray’s list.

Brayden Point was considered a below average skater at his draft - now he’s competing in the fastest skater competition at the All Star game.
Point was never at any time considered a below average skater. He’s always been a great skater, well before he was drafted.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Point was never at any time considered a below average skater. He’s always been a great skater, well before he was drafted.
This isn’t true. He may not have been a below average skater but it was not a strength in junior. His late draft position, despite his gaudy totals and great two-way game, was due to the double whammy of slight size and questionable skating.

Reactions: VinikToWinIt

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
This isn’t true. He may not have been a below average skater but it was not a strength in junior. His late draft position, despite his gaudy totals and great two-way game, was due to the double whammy of slight size and questionable skating.
Check out every scouting report. I also had a close eye on him while watching Rielly and had hoped Point would be a Leaf.

Skating concerns were/are laughable.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Check out every scouting report. I also had a close eye on him while watching Rielly and had hoped Point would be a Leaf.

Skating concerns were/are laughable.

Point dropped because he supposedly was not an elite skater for his size. At least this is what we were told when we drafted him

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
He's gotta toughen up. Definitely not as tough as his old man. Watched numerous games last season where he had a hard time fighting through players as they were shadowing him, and disappeared in the tie-breaker game against the Blazers to decide who was in the playoffs.

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Pretty good start to his season with 10-15-25 in 19 games and has a shot at making Team Canada at the WJC.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Anyone know if he's played right wing in juniors before?

Hunter seems hellbent on playing him on the right side, I've only seen him twice with the Rockets and he was on the left wing both games.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

Hunter seems hellbent on playing him on the right side, I've only seen him twice with the Rockets and he was on the left wing both games.

He's played the right side fairly extensively on the PP over the years. Not particularly effective taking passes on his backhand at this point, but that spot makes sense for him if he is being utilized as a pure shooting/secondary option. Spitballing, but on a PP2 unit for TB, I could see him burying some pucks in that capacity.

Reactions: Wings4Life

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I really liked his game today. Strong on the puck with great body positioning.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

He's played the right side fairly extensively on the PP over the years. Not particularly effective taking passes on his backhand at this point, but that spot makes sense for him if he is being utilized as a pure shooting/secondary option. Spitballing, but on a PP2 unit for TB, I could see him burying some pucks in that capacity.

Kinda like this:

Reactions: Dominance

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Good add for the Devils. As far as I can tell, they are really lacking a dedicated shooter and strong one-timer option for the powerplay, both on their current roster and in their prospect pool.

I posted this in another thread but I thought this was a very good deal for TB as well.

I think this will go down as a trade both teams are happy with and the draft pick might work out really well for the Devils as well.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I can see him burying a lot of pucks from Hughes. Doesn’t have a ton of jam in his game but man can he fire the puck. Nice pickup for NJ - I like Coleman but Foote has the potential to routinely put up high 20’s/low 30’s. Great sell high move by NJD here

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Looking pretty good in the AHL so far. With the Palmieri/Zajac trade, think they will give him some time in the middle six with the Devils? Think he's earned a call at least with his AHL play.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I could see a cup of coffee at the end of the season, but probably not a priority to rush him up. With Hischier getting cleared soon, the forward lines will look something like:

Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
Sharangovich-Hughes-Kuokkanen
Wood-McLeod-(Maltsev/Merkley/Thompson/Bastian)
Johnsson-Boqvist-(Maltsev/Merkley/Thompson/Bastian)

Reactions: brakeyawself

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'd prefer he finish the season in Bingo. The Devils have yo-yo'd a few guys up and down the last few seasons to their detriment.

He lost a lot of development time last year due to injury, now that he's in a groove and playing well I really don't want to mess with that.

The Devils have plenty of other guys to call up for spot duty if they need it, and having him come up just to get shelled every night won't do him any favors. Let him continue to play at a high level, give him a full offseason of training, and then he can blow the doors off during training camp in the fall.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I'd prefer he finish the season in Bingo. The Devils have yo-yo'd a few guys up and down the last few seasons to their detriment.

He lost a lot of development time last year due to injury, now that he's in a groove and playing well I really don't want to mess with that.

The Devils have plenty of other guys to call up for spot duty if they need it, and having him come up just to get shelled every night won't do him any favors. Let him continue to play at a high level, give him a full offseason of training, and then he can blow the doors off during training camp in the fall.
I could see a cup of coffee at the end of the season, but probably not a priority to rush him up. With Hischier getting cleared soon, the forward lines will look something like:

Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
Sharangovich-Hughes-Kuokkanen
Wood-McLeod-(Maltsev/Merkley/Thompson/Bastian)
Johnsson-Boqvist-(Maltsev/Merkley/Thompson/Bastian)

He seems to have done fairly well when he did get a chance. I only saw the first game though, so unless he didn't play that well in the game he scored the goal, seems like he was getting "hot" in the nhl and then they sent him back. Not sure what that might do to a players confidence. I understand the idea of not wanting him to be "yo-yo'd". But I think after risking bringing him up, then seeing him continue to be "hot" with the big club, only to send him down, is probably worse than never bringing him up at all. I get that they might not technically have a top 6 role for him when they are healthy, but I think he would improve the 3rd line if he kept this going and probably even knock someone out the top 6.

justHypnos

May 4, 2011
Montreal
But I think after risking bringing him up, then seeing him continue to be "hot" with the big club, only to send him down, is probably worse than never bringing him up at all.
I don't see how bringing him up and having him play well and score is worse than not doing that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->