LW Nikita Gusev - SKA, KHL (2012, 202nd, TBL; traded to VGK)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Does anyone know what his situation with Tampa Bay is?

I've watched him play probably about 20 times this season, and I don't understand why he gets talked about so little. Since joining SKA, he's been arguably the best player in the KHL.

Will he join Tampa Bay for the playoffs? I think he could very well have a Panarin type of impact.

Can we also get a thread title change? He now plays for SKA.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Does anyone know what his situation with Tampa Bay is?

I've watched him play probably about 20 times this season, and I don't understand why he gets talked about so little. Since joining SKA, he's been arguably the best player in the KHL.

Will he join Tampa Bay for the playoffs? I think he could very well have a Panarin type of impact.

Can we also get a thread title change? He now plays for SKA.

Just signed a 2-year contract extension with SKA I believe. I'd imagine since it's so recent he probably stays with it and then comes to Tampa in a couple years. Even then, it seems like he really enjoys playing in the KHL and may never come over despite Kucherov trying to convince him to do so.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Just signed a 2-year contract extension with SKA I believe. I'd imagine since it's so recent he probably stays with it and then comes to Tampa in a couple years. Even then, it seems like he really enjoys playing in the KHL and may never come over despite Kucherov trying to convince him to do so.

Not sure, if Tampa wanted him at all. Now with this Drouin disaster they could probably rethink their approach to Nikita, but he's already signed 2 year extension with SKA. Of course he'll be able to buy the last year out, but I guess it's going to be good money, more than he can earn on ELC.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It would be a shame if Tampa Bay didn't make every effort to get him over here. They would be depriving NHL fans of a very good hockey player.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
It would be a shame if Tampa Bay didn't make every effort to get him over here. They would be depriving NHL fans of a very good hockey player.

Is he good enough to crack Tampa's top-6? I imagine he wants a lot of playing time and, as with drouin, will possibly have trouble playing his way into the top-6. Maybe he signed the 2-year contract knowing in a couple years, the bolts will have more openings at forward since they are pretty stacked right now.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Is he good enough to crack Tampa's top-6? I imagine he wants a lot of playing time and, as with drouin, will possibly have trouble playing his way into the top-6. Maybe he signed the 2-year contract knowing in a couple years, the bolts will have more openings at forward since they are pretty stacked right now.

He will likely need some adjustment time, some AHL time maybe even. The last time I saw him, he was basically Kucherov but much more raw and Kucherov has come a loooooooong way.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He will likely need some adjustment time, some AHL time maybe even. The last time I saw him, he was basically Kucherov but much more raw and Kucherov has come a loooooooong way.

He's right now playing as good as Panarin played last year. Does Panarin need some AHL time?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Yes, he's good enough. Did you read anything I said? He's not really even a prospect, he's almost 24 and is about 1PPG since the trade in the KHL.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
He's right now playing as good as Panarin played last year. Does Panarin need some AHL time?

He's 9 months younger than Panarin but also would've been in the same draft year had they been drafted (2010 I believe). Looking at his production, it hasn't been that impressive until he was traded to SKA and finally hit a point per game. Guys like Panarin, Buchnevich, and now Kaprizov have put up better numbers in earlier development years. It's a little concerning that it has taken him so long to reach really good production in the KHL.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Looking at his production, it hasn't been that impressive until he was traded to SKA and finally hit a point per game.

Well scoring for Yugra isn't easy.

Also, there is no way around it, if Gusev came over he would be a defensive liability, corsi drag and whatnot for a few months at the very least, Tampa really isn't that desperate for scoring to insert such player in the lineup during the playoffs. Next year, during the regular season, it all depends on Cooper and Yzerman, I guess.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Panarin was nowhere near 1PPG before he joined SKA either. Obviously Gusev has benefited from playing big minutes with some of the best players in the KHL, but he's been right there with those players, possibly even better.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Panarin was nowhere near 1PPG before he joined SKA either. Obviously Gusev has benefited from playing big minutes with some of the best players in the KHL, but he's been right there with those players, possibly even better.

I was talking about how 4 years past his first eligible draft year, he scored 14 points in 44 games. Panarin was scoring at a higher rate starting his draft year and the years after that (he had 9 points in 20 games in 2010 which is the year he should have been drafted). The fact that it took Gusev so long to finally produce at a respectable rate is concerning because it's similar to how 20 year olds dominate the CHL or 25 year olds dominate the AHL sometimes and never turn in to anything special. Sure the KHL is a much tougher league than those two but he didn't really perform during developmental years and took much longer to start producing which draws similarities to players who are able to dominate the AHL after finally figuring it out but never translate it to the NHL.

And I by no means am saying Gusev is a bad prospect. I hope he comes over and turns in to the next Panarin because I think Tampa is electrifying to watch. I just think that his production during earlier years is a little concerning and perhaps he won't turn in to the next Panarin.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thats true. I'm not going to disagree, but what I can say is that Gusev's skill is very impressive, and I have little doubt that he's good enough to play in an NHL top 6 right now.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Has Gusev grown? I remember follwoing him a bit before he was drafted and he was listed as 5'8'' and I saw some pictures of him that made me feel even that was generous. Elite Prospects has him listed at 5'10'. Has he grown and bulked up a bit? Not that size is the end all be all but 5'8'' is pretty small for the NHL.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He is 5'10' but still a real lightweight. All the play around the boards and stuff would be hell for the guy. He doesn't have the speed and elusiveness to skate around that the way Kane or Panarin very much do so that transition would be tough for him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I've seen a couple of the playoff games for SKA and he's the straw that stirs the drink on his line almost every shift. He looks great.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've seen a couple of the playoff games for SKA and he's the straw that stirs the drink on his line almost every shift. He looks great.

That Dadonov-Shipachyov-Gusev line is so talented. I think they could all play in the NHL. Its a shame that the KHL is ignored so much.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He is 5'10' but still a real lightweight. All the play around the boards and stuff would be hell for the guy. He doesn't have the speed and elusiveness to skate around that the way Kane or Panarin very much do so that transition would be tough for him.

He's a former figure skater, his skating is ok. And he's very creative. Always was and is. He and Kucherov were an ideal duo in the MHL. One maked playes and another finished them. And Gusev always outscored Kucherov by points, btw.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
Tampa Bay doesn't seem like a great fit for him and he's pretty much stated that he won't come over unless he's guaranteed a spot in the NHL - which TB clearly hasn't done.
I'm a bit surprised that TB hasn't traded him for some other assets because I'm sure a lot of other teams would be willing to give him that guarantee at this point in time (with an out clause that he could go back to the KHL).
For now at least, he's stuck in Russia.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Tampa Bay doesn't seem like a great fit for him and he's pretty much stated that he won't come over unless he's guaranteed a spot in the NHL - which TB clearly hasn't done.
I'm a bit surprised that TB hasn't traded him for some other assets because I'm sure a lot of other teams would be willing to give him that guarantee at this point in time (with an out clause that he could go back to the KHL).
For now at least, he's stuck in Russia.

That is probably a big sticking point and really can't blame him for wanting that guarantee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad