LW Morgan Klimchuk (2013, 28th, CGY)

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
You know Calgary finally has some prospects when every one of their prospects threads have to be bumped after every game

No one is making you read these threads, and besides that it has been over three months since the last bump of this thread. In addition to that he was just named WHL player of the week..

If you are not going to contribute to the topic at hand, I suggest you stay out of it all together.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I don't know very much about Klimchuk to be honest, who is he comparable to as a player? From reading here he sounds quite a bit of Cogliano, a fast sniper that plays with character and has a good two-way game, is that fair?

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
You know Calgary finally has some prospects when every one of their prospects threads have to be bumped after every game

First rounder gets his thread bumped first time in 3 months after a 5 point game.:laugh:

RoR21

May 24, 2011
I don't know very much about Klimchuk to be honest, who is he comparable to as a player? From reading here he sounds quite a bit of Cogliano, a fast sniper that plays with character and has a good two-way game, is that fair?

He reminds me a lot of a Justin Williams or Patrick Sharp, someone that can contribute to an elite group of players but doesn't quite fall into that category himself.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
He reminds me a lot of a Justin Williams or Patrick Sharp, someone that can contribute to an elite group of players but doesn't quite fall into that category himself.

That's probably the role he'll be in, not necessarily the best player comparisons though.

For the purpose of the thread I'll give my report on Klimchuk.

The puck always seems to find him
Very hard worker at all facets of the game
Extremely tenacious on the cycle and forcheck
Is capable of finding pucks in the slot
Very good on the half wall on the PP
Defensive play has gotten better every year
Good shot that he can get off quickly and through traffic
Very good hockey sense with the puck

Hockey futures write up on him is beautiful. One of my favorite writeups of any prospect.

Klimchuk is an offensive threat with his excellent hockey sense and ability to find the back of the net with ease. Coaches laud his work ethic. A clutch goal scorer who greatly improved his skating ability this past season, Klimchuk can skillfully navigate attacking zone traffic while shooting well off either foot. The Alberta native also possesses an excellent leadership side to his game and has a strong winning attitude.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Five point night for Klimchuck (1+4).

Just going to point out it was against Lethbridge... They have been out scored 38-5 in there last 5 games.

But still good for him, I was a huge fan of his and Monahans going into the draft last year, and what do ya know they both go to the Flames.

He is skilled but his best attribute is his work ethic. Great prospect for sure.

Woodtkachuk

Jun 2, 2011
Does klimchuk play similar to eberle? From the highlights and shifts I've seen on scouting websites they seem identical in some ways, especially the shot. That said, I've never watched him play so I'm not sure.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Does klimchuk play similar to eberle? From the highlights and shifts I've seen on scouting websites they seem identical in some ways, especially the shot. That said, I've never watched him play so I'm not sure.

As much as id like to I actually dont really see the Eberle comparison. Klimchuk has actually always reminded me of Stempniak. With better hands.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

looking forward to seeing him more at the world juniors next year, was the weak link to the mcdavid - reinhart - klimchuk line at the u18s last year skill wise, but his speed is great

Trae

Calgary
looking forward to seeing him more at the world juniors next year, was the weak link to the mcdavid - reinhart - klimchuk line at the u18s last year skill wise, but his speed is great
Maybe the line will play better the second time around on the flames 2015/16 roster?

:sarcasm:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Maybe the line will play better the second time around on the flames 2015/16 roster?

:sarcasm:

funny-gif-Homer-Simpson-drooling.gif

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Kilmchuk just traded to Brandon. Traded for Jesse Gabrielle

Last edited:

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
His numbers look better after the trade. Anyone care to comment on his play?

He's a fast skater, plays two way hockey very hard. Not a gifted scorer, but gets a lot of goals through hustle. Probably the most committed guy on the team to 2 way hockey. Seems to be the guy who isn't the star on his line but makes his line mates better. Fit in really well considering he was a Pat all his career and sometimes guys traded as rentals don't fully commit to the new team, but he has really committed. Which is a good thing, being as though Bdn overpaid for him thanks to Gabrielle's trade demand. I imagine he will play AHL for a year or two before making the NHL. Though if Cgy would like to send him back to Bdn next year that would be great haha!!

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
After a forgettable rookie pro season, Klimchuk has gone gangbusters offensively to open his sophomore year in the A:

Rookie Season: 3 goals / 5 assists / 0 / 55 games
Sophomore Season: 4 goals / 4 assists / +9 / 4 games

Not sure if 2 PPG is sustainable, he has definitely been more offensively inclined this year.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I'd sort of written him off after last year but he seems a completely different player this season. Wonder if health is a factor since he was banged up a bit the last couple of years.

If only he was a RW instead of a LW. The Flames seem to be loaded at C and LW, but have almost no RW prospects.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I haven't watched him, but I see he already eclipsed his point total from last season and is above a PPG pace. Can anyone give me a more detailed update on his performance?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I haven't watched him, but I see he already eclipsed his point total from last season and is above a PPG pace. Can anyone give me a more detailed update on his performance?

He's been good. But Stockton scores a lot so his stats are inflated a bit probably. And they didn't score at all last year so his stats were probably deflated. Definitely an encouraging sign though.

But the Heat added Jankowski, Mangiapane, Andersson, Pribyl and Shinkaruk. Plus Kylington went from struggling in the AHL as an 18 year old to being a very good player as a 19 year old. That's a lot of skill they didn't have before. So now there's more skill on the team for him to play with.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Last season he was not given much by ways of offensive opportunity. But he still underproduced despite that. He went into the offseason with focus entirely on being a better offensive player.

This year, the Heat have added a lot of our Flames prospects (Mangiapane, Pribyl, Jankowski, Andersson) while Kylington has naturally gotten better and Morrison has played better too.

IMO he's still a bit too much of a perimeter player to be much more than a quality checker in the NHL. But his skills, and two-way game could definitely make him a good top nine forward, like a 18goal 18 assist type guy with good responsible instincts.

KeziaTML

Apr 29, 2010
Calgary, AB
So, now that the season is over, what do you guys think? He was infinitely better this year than last. Then again, that's not saying much. Any chance he makes it?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
So, now that the season is over, what do you guys think? He was infinitely better this year than last. Then again, that's not saying much. Any chance he makes it?

Calgary's bottom 6 is a mess for next year. Bouma, Stajan, and Brouwer are all on contract. Ferland may get bumped down. Lazar needs a spot. Versteeg and Chiasson could get resigned. Jankowski will probably be put on the wing. Hathaway fits the 4th line better, and Shinkaruk is just as close. And then there's Freddie. The amount of bottom sixers is ridiculous.

Hoping they walk away from Versteeg and Chiasson. And if they somehow got rid of Bouma and Brouwer that would be great. Then Shinkaruk or Klimchuk would have a shot.

Gaudreau, Bennett, Tkachuk, or Jankowski need to move to RW. Only way it works.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Jankowski
Tkachuk - Bennett - Ferland
Klimchuk/Shinkaruk - Backlund - Frolik
Lazar - Stajan - Hathaway
Hamilton

And that's if we make no signings, let everyone walk and somehow get rid of Bouma and Brouwer. Otherwise Klimchuk is 4 or 5 injuries away from playing.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Calgary's bottom 6 is a mess for next year. Bouma, Stajan, and Brouwer are all on contract. Ferland may get bumped down. Lazar needs a spot. Versteeg and Chiasson could get resigned. Jankowski will probably be put on the wing. Hathaway fits the 4th line better, and Shinkaruk is just as close. And then there's Freddie. The amount of bottom sixers is ridiculous.

Hoping they walk away from Versteeg and Chiasson. And if they somehow got rid of Bouma and Brouwer that would be great. Then Shinkaruk or Klimchuk would have a shot.

Gaudreau, Bennett, Tkachuk, or Jankowski need to move to RW. Only way it works.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Jankowski
Tkachuk - Bennett - Ferland
Klimchuk/Shinkaruk - Backlund - Frolik
Lazar - Stajan - Hathaway
Hamilton

And that's if we make no signings, let everyone walk and somehow get rid of Bouma and Brouwer. Otherwise Klimchuk is 4 or 5 injuries away from playing.

Both rhs forwards are on the bottom line.... Gotcha, what a recipe for disaster. Klimchuk is a great prospect and has some Palat-esque skills, but as a whole I don't see him making our roster the way it is. This line up you posted does not look good going forward. If we want to rebuild, sure this looks great, but if that's the case might as well get rid of Giordano then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->