LW Morgan Klimchuk (2013, 28th, CGY)

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
He has got similar stats to Eberle at the same age. How do they compare? (in their draft year)

Small, skilled, goal scorer playing for the Pats. If Calgary drafts him it would be very reminiscent of Eberle's situation. Getting drafted by his favorite team.. potential steal.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He has got similar stats to Eberle at the same age. How do they compare? (in their draft year)

Not really all that similar in regards to playing style.

Eberle will just pick a defence apart with slick hands and the ability to both pass or shoot in the blink of an eye.

Klimchuk is more of a speedster and pure shooter than Eberle is. His skating definitely projects to be a notch above Ebs.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Klimchuk has a really great nose for the net from what I've seen. Thomas Vanek is who I think of actually, it's hard to explain but Klimchuk just seems to have a purpose to score out there. Other players with skill like to be fancy and be a playmaker or stickhandle unnecessarily sometimes but Klimchuk just wants to score - very straightforward and plays with an offensive purpose and urgency that is pretty apparent. Eberle is much more of a "dangler." Klimchuk makes quick plays with the puck and keeps his feet moving to fight through traffic and get to the net or open ice, one thing I noticed is he always looks at the net when he handles the puck which I like. Just has a good offensive IQ and is hungry to go to the net or get shots when he's holding the puck. Matt Moulson isn't a bad comparable either.

So yeah, I'd say his upside is a Moulson or Vanek type player. The potential of that is worth a top 20 pick IMO. That's just an idea of the type of player you're hoping to get when you draft this guy though. I think he has legit 30 goal potential at the NHL level which you can't say for a lot of prospects.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I know you are comparing the goalscoring prowess, but Moulson is a brutal skater.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Considering how his skating and shooting is regarded so highly, I'm surprised he's not a consensus late first rounder...this time I think they actually mean it when they say it's a deep draft.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Based on this thread it seems like he compares a lot to Shinkaruk, no? Would the Jets taking a stab at him at 13 be too much of a reach?

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Based on this thread it seems like he compares a lot to Shinkaruk, no? Would the Jets taking a stab at him at 13 be too much of a reach?
Way too much of a reach. I'd say without a doubt you could drop down to the 22ish spot. Realistically I think he goes around 28ish unless someone falls in love with him.

Style wise he reminds me of Giroux.

stamkosisboss

Mar 27, 2010
Leafs Nation
I dont know about this kid, he is touted as a goal scorer but from what I have seen from him (under 17 and a handful of regular season games) he didnt jump out to me as having that killer instinct and ability to get himself into good scoring positions. You would think a goal scorer like Kilmchuk would mesh with a playmaker like McDavid better, but he actually missed some good oppertunities.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Klimchuk is fast, creative, solid defensively, and has a wicked shot that he gets off extremely fast. I'm sold.

Trav

Aug 2, 2005
I've watched Klimchuk a number of times over the last two years and I've always been impressed with him. Some of the goals that he has scored have been unreal. I'd love to see the Flames use their last 1st rounder on him.

BOUNCE

Jul 22, 2007
Edmonton
Couture's not fast. Klimchuk's a pure winger in the NHL, IMHO, and he'll never be as good as Couture defensively.

Couture is not fast? Seemed pretty fast to me when watching games between the sharks and oilers and the playoffs. Just a beast. Does Klimchuk have Cogliano wheels?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Couture is not fast? Seemed pretty fast to me when watching games between the sharks and oilers and the playoffs. Just a beast. Does Klimchuk have Cogliano wheels?

Couture's shifty, but not fast. Probably average speed, although he improved quite a bit from last year to this year.

I don't hink Klimchuk will ever be Cogliano-fast, but he's got very good speed.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
Klimchuk with the cycle.

PPG, ESG, SHG for a natural hat-trick.

10 goals 13 assist and 23 points in 19 games so far.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Five point night for Klimchuck (1+4).
After battling through two separate injuries to begin the year Morgan is really starting to turn it on offensively. He has recorded 14 points (7+7) in his last five outings and is now up to 66 points on the year in just 49 games.

He is definitely flying under the radar, and is a hell of a all around prospect!

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Five point night for Klimchuck (1+4).
After battling through two separate injuries to begin the year Morgan is really starting to turn it on offensively. He has recorded 14 points (7+7) in his last five outings and is now up to 66 points on the year in just 49 games.

He is definitely flying under the radar, and is a hell of a all around prospect!

I can't believe this guy doesn't get more love. He's a hell of a prospect that almost nobody talks about. Since coming back from his injury at the SSS, he's posted 37 points in 23 games.

He was also just named player of the week.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
You know Calgary finally has some prospects when every one of their prospects threads have to be bumped after every game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->