LW Morgan Klimchuk (2013, 28th, CGY)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Haven't seen him yet, but will get a half dozen live viewings of him this season along with numerous online viewings. I am also excited to see what he can do.

For those who don't know, he was chosen 5th overall in the WHL's 2010 bantam draft.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Won't get to see him live until Oct 26th. Will definitely see him online before that though.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
excellent speed and skater (though he has a bit of a hunch when he skates), good hands handling the puck at high speed; very good shooter and good playmaker...he likes to take the puck wide on the rush and then cut to the middle.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Watched him tonight. Wasn't overly noticeable for much of the game, but when he's on, he looks great.

Big time wheels.

Fired an absolute laser from the slot for the Pats to give them a 4-3 lead over Medicine Hat. Ended up as the game winner tonight.

Rocket.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Watched him again last night.

Wow, what a player. Was very strong in the first half of the game, not as noticeable in the second half.

Excellent skater, very smart, great offensive instincts, very good shot. He had very very good chemistry with 2012 eligible forward Dominik Volek.

Kid is definitely going to be in the running for a top 15 spot in the 2013 draft.

The WHL forward crop for 2013 is going to be DAMN fun to watch.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Watched him again last night.

Wow, what a player. Was very strong in the first half of the game, not as noticeable in the second half.

Excellent skater, very smart, great offensive instincts, very good shot. He had very very good chemistry with 2012 eligible forward Dominik Volek.

Kid is definitely going to be in the running for a top 15 spot in the 2013 draft.

The WHL forward crop for 2013 is going to be DAMN fun to watch.

I think the overall group of players the WHL has for 2013 (forwards, defense and even goalies), will be the best they've had in a long time.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Bumped with this:

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2012/11/morgan-klimchuk-is-on-radar-in-2013.html

He stormed out of the gate in his WHL career with a fantastic rookie year in 2011-12, posting 18 goals and 36 points for Regina. Coming into this season I called him a kid who will one day be a point-per-game player and someone to watch as a potential late-first round pick in the 2013 NHL Draft.

Well, he's ahead of schedule with those predictions this season as Klimchuk leads the Pats in goals with 11 and is second in points with 21 in only 22 games. As expected, NHL teams are definitely taking notice of his offensive contributions. But to me, it's the other parts of his game that set him apart and make him an NHL prospect to keep your eyes on.

The first thing about his game you will notice is his blazing speed. He's extremely quick, with great top end speed and the ability to change directions on a dime. His mobility and shiftiness make him extremely hard to defend. Along with those abilities come an aggressive mindset. He's definitely a shoot-first player, but he doesn't waste his shots. He picks his spots, is able to find seams in the defence and make his chances count.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
What a standout. The kid looks absolutely phenomenal tonight against the Giants.

Very intriguing prospect to say the least. His skating + shooting ability is a lethal combination.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Scored the late-tying goal to get it to OT as well. Safe to say I wrote my piece at the right time.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Excellent puck control. Very impressive. As a Coyotes fan, I'm glad our head scout was in the building checking up on Kale Kessy. I'm sure he could help but notice the other most impressive player. :)

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I guess I'm different from you all and too bad this will be my own viewing of Klimchuk:

To me, he didn't have GREAT speed, or was a GREAT puckhandler, or elusive. He was just above-average in all those departments IMO

What he WAS great was his edgework, his acceleration, and his hockey sense. All three of these things allows him to sneak into goal-scoring areas in the offensive zone. His feet keeps moving and he just exploits defenseman that aren't paying their full attention on Klimchuk.

This makes him a dangerous player if paired with a good playmaker.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I guess I'm different from you all and too bad this will be my own viewing of Klimchuk:

To me, he didn't have GREAT speed, or was a GREAT puckhandler, or elusive. He was just above-average in all those departments IMO

What he WAS great was his edgework, his acceleration, and his hockey sense. All three of these things allows him to sneak into goal-scoring areas in the offensive zone. His feet keeps moving and he just exploits defenseman that aren't paying their full attention on Klimchuk.

This makes him a dangerous player if paired with a good playmaker.

I DVR'd the game and have only the seen the 1st period and the final play where the Pats tied it up, but I would agree that he didn't really shine through a ton in the opening 20 minutes like I've seen from him in the past.

His skating is usually super dynamic and separates him from everyone on the ice.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I DVR'd the game and have only the seen the 1st period and the final play where the Pats tied it up, but I would agree that he didn't really shine through a ton in the opening 20 minutes like I've seen from him in the past.

His skating is usually super dynamic and separates him from everyone on the ice.

Yeah, this is why you need more than just one viewing to really get a sense of a player...

But yeah, during the game, he wasn't blowing past people or dodging them, but he was a very sneaky player because he can turn on his top speed very quickly and change to any direction on his edges while still maintaining a good scoring posture, allowing him to immediate sneak into open areas and shoot.

Personally, from that one view, he looked like a potential top 20 pick this year, even without seeing his top speed or elusiveness.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
His skating definitely wasn't the most impressive part of his game last night. He was just extremely sharp all over the ice, especially when he had the puck on his stick. Very smart and very sharp instincts. IMO the sky is the limit with that type of the player because those are the traits that overcome physical limitations, ala Claude Giroux. Anyway, very impressive game and I look forward to following him from this point on.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
His skating definitely wasn't the most impressive part of his game last night. He was just extremely sharp all over the ice, especially when he had the puck on his stick. Very smart and very sharp instincts. IMO the sky is the limit with that type of the player because those are the traits that overcome physical limitations, ala Claude Giroux. Anyway, very impressive game and I look forward to following him from this point on.

I agree, but imagine, if what others say is true, about him actually being extremely fast...wow...

Add that to what we saw last night, I have a hard time thinking he will just be a late 1st/early 2nd.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I agree, but imagine, if what others say is true, about him actually being extremely fast...wow...

Add that to what we saw last night, I have a hard time thinking he will just be a late 1st/early 2nd.

I absolutely agree. I would have no problem taking him around 15th as it stands now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad