LW Maxim Beryozkin - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, KHL (2020, 138th, EDM)

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Watching Denezhkin and Nikolayev last year he was always a player who stood out. Was impressive to the point that he may have been the top prospect on that team.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Why did he go under the radar then?
He's a late birthday and just eligible this year. Also hasn't played any international hockey for Russia. He still got a B from central scouting in there preliminary ranking too indicating a 2nd-3rd rounder. Most wouldn't know who he is yet, but a lot of potential

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
He's a late birthday and just eligible this year. Also hasn't played any international hockey for Russia. He still got a B from central scouting in there preliminary ranking too indicating a 2nd-3rd rounder. Most wouldn't know who he is yet, but a lot of potential

I obviously totally not done with the evaluation, but at this point he looks like a legit 2nd round prospect to me... but yeah, need to look at his game more closely though. Still it is rather surprising to me that even the guys, who are following the MHL, are totally quiet about him.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Total wildcard from our draft. Big kid with some skill it looks like.

Another right shot as well.

Holland really tried to restock the forward cupboards using every pick on forwards this draft. This is an intriguing pick.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
So much confusion for me on this guy's name, it even has Fantrax stumped. On the back of his jersey it actually says Berzyokin, can one of our Russian experts please explain that to me?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
So much confusion for me on this guy's name, it even has Fantrax stumped. On the back of his jersey it actually says Berzyokin, can one of our Russian experts please explain that to me?

It is the same thing as with Shesterkin/Shestyorkin and it was beaten to death already back then. Basically Russian letter "ё" sounds somewhat close to "yo", so frequently it is spelled that way when transferring it to the English alphabet. On the other hand, there's another way to transfer it by just removing the dots, so it becomes "e", which is somewhat similar to English "e" - it might be less accurate phonetically, but it is still frequently used. Both ways are used pretty randomly nowadays.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What is the confusion? Look closer. In the Twitter clip and in the thread title his name is spelled correctly. Beryoza is a birch tree.

Reactions: iliketorock

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
It is the same thing as with Shesterkin/Shestyorkin and it was beaten to death already back then. Basically Russian letter "ё" sounds somewhat close to "yo", so frequently it is spelled that way when transferring it to the English alphabet. On the other hand, there's another way to transfer it by just removing the dots, so it becomes "e", which is somewhat similar to English "e" - it might be less accurate phonetically, but it is still frequently used. Both ways are used pretty randomly nowadays.
Exactly. Personally, I avoid the yo spelling like the plague, but neither one’s wrong, as much as some say otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad