LW Matthew Knies - Tri-City Storm, USHL (2021, 57th, TOR)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Citizenship is not enough for IIHF, if he got it?

Not when you have multiple citizenships.

When that's the case, in order to represent a country in IIHF competition a player must satisfy the following:
  • Participated in competitions on a consistent basis in said country over 16 months (480 days). That 16 month period must occur over 2 seasons after the player's 10th birthday.
  • Resided in said country for that 16 month period.
  • Didn't transfer to another country or play for a team registered in another country during that 16 month period.
Knies doesn't meet any of those conditions for Slovakia so he cannot represent them unless he moves to Slovakia to meet those conditions or applies for and receives an exemption from the IIHF.

Those same conditions apply even if he were to say renounce his American citizenship too.

The most notorious example of a player getting an exemption is William Nylander. He was born in Canada, raised in the US, and a dual citizen of Canada and Sweden. He could only meet the aforementioned conditions for the US (non-citizen). He wanted to represent Sweden but since he didn't meet the conditions, he applied for and received an exemption since he couldn't meet the conditions for either of the countries where he had citizenship.

The Knies case is pretty straightforward so while he could apply for an exemption, I doubt the IIHF would consider it, especially as Knies has always represented and tried to represent Team USA.

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
Not when you have multiple citizenships.

When that's the case, in order to represent a country in IIHF competition a player must satisfy the following:
  • Participated in competitions on a consistent basis in said country over 16 months (480 days). That 16 month period must occur over 2 seasons after the player's 10th birthday.
  • Resided in said country for that 16 month period.
  • Didn't transfer to another country or play for a team registered in another country during that 16 month period.
Knies doesn't meet any of those conditions for Slovakia so he cannot represent them unless he moves to Slovakia to meet those conditions or applies for and receives an exemption from the IIHF.

Those same conditions apply even if he were to say renounce his American citizenship too.

The most notorious example of a player getting an exemption is William Nylander. He was born in Canada, raised in the US, and a dual citizen of Canada and Sweden. He could only meet the aforementioned conditions for the US (non-citizen). He wanted to represent Sweden but since he didn't meet the conditions, he applied for and received an exemption since he couldn't meet the conditions for either of the countries where he had citizenship.

The Knies case is pretty straightforward so while he could apply for an exemption, I doubt the IIHF would consider it, especially as Knies has always represented and tried to represent Team USA.
These rules are pretty ridiculous taking into account that some countries are representing many Canadians gaining citizenship only because they played few seasons in the domestic league..
This way at least Slovakia lost some very good players who have Slovak citizenship but could not represent their country because of these stupid rules..
I was very disappointed when our ice hockey federation opened this question at last IIHF congress and all top hockey countries disagreed to adjust or cancel these rules.
After that all the goal to withdraw big differences between hockey nations seems to be really only on paper...
What is it then all about? Is it politics?
It is like top 4 european countries does not want to play against at least Swiss during eurohockey tours, the same way they did not want to play against Slovakia at the beginning of milenium when we were at our top.

Reactions: Outofbodyinhungary

Jabs102501

May 16, 2018
Honestly, Knies may even be good enough to represent the US, so him playing for Slovakia is unlikely

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Having seen him play a few more games, I don’t think his skating is average. It’s below average, but not by that much. It’s not bad enough to keep him out of the first round, in my opinion.

He’s supremely skilled for a bigger forward and I like his compete level and play on the inside of the ice more than I initially did. He reminds me a little of Matt Boldy’s skillset, but the main difference is that he doesn’t yet skate as well. Boldy doesn’t have great speed, but he has very good edges for a player that size. Knies still needs to improve in that area.

I would say this guy is a latter half of the first round type of player a year out from his draft. If he improves his skating, top 10 may not be out of the question. He could also drop outside of the first round, if he doesn’t have a good draft season. But he should be back with Tri-City next season. He was over 1PPG there this season, and should be a good candidate to lead the USHL in scoring next season.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
There is now a rumor he could accelerate and go to the U this year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He started to pick it up after his slow start, and then got injured. I was watching the game he got injured. I didn't see anything obvious that would've led to an injury, but he's now missed a few weeks with an injury.

I'm not worried though about his weak statistical season. I haven't seen every game to say why he's not scoring as much, but he’s still very skilled for a 6’2 200 pound winger. Above-average defense, hockey sense, and physicality. First step needs work, although it’s not awful. Could benefit from playing N-S a little more than E-W. Tries to dangle too much. I think he's still looking like a first round pick type for this year.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Easy first rounder that no one is talking about. Big, skilled, physical. Don't see the skating concerns mentioned above, thought his skating was well above average in my viewings. Powerforward potential

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not all players hit their potential, but if he does, he'll be a top 15 player in this draft pretty easily. I'm not going to guarantee that picking him in the 2nd or 3rd round will look great in a few years because I can't guarantee he'll reach his potential, but he could and if he does, he'll be really good.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
What I like about him is he drives the play for his team.

Good at protecting the puck while waiting for a teammate to get loose.

Pretty dangerous in the OZ, but he commit in all 3 zones.

He had a very good end of season.

A sleeper I wouldn't be shy of taking at the end of the 1st rd.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

JoshTessler

Jun 18, 2020
Paul Zuk from my team at Smaht Scouting wrote this report on Knies. Check it out. Hit him up on Twitter if you have any questions.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Guest of Guy Flaming on The Pipeline Show last weekend. Coached by Shane Doan for much of his youth career.

Interesting going from Arizona to Kearney, Neb and then the University of Minnesota.

Seems like many people would rather do the opposite.

Reactions: ShiroganeKvasha30

Hollel

Jun 15, 2019
A rated and 13th overall on the final hockeyprospect.com board. Curious to hear thoughts from people that have read their write up on him + scouted him a bit. Seems like they were really sold on how he finished the season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
A rated and 13th overall on the final hockeyprospect.com board. Curious to hear thoughts from people that have read their write up on him + scouted him a bit. Seems like they were really sold on how he finished the season.

He's very skilled. Physical player, can shoot, pass, good hockey sense. Goes to the net. Works hard on the defensive end. His skating needs work, but there aren't that many more talented players in this draft.

Reactions: ShiroganeKvasha30

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
A late-2002 birthday, Matthew Knies was expected to take another step in the USHL with Tri-City Storm. Many analysts saw him as a possible first-round pick heading into this season. Unfortunately, Knies started to slip down the rankings due to a slow start and lack of production. However, he managed to salvage something and really came on down the stretch with 23 points in his last 15 games. Knies put up 17 goals and 25 assists for 42 points in 44 games this year. Despite Tri-City losing in the first round, Knies stayed hot in the playoffs with a goal and three assists for four points in three games.

Drafted in the 3rd round, 38th Overall in the 2018 USHL Futures Draft, Knies spent most of the 2018-19 season playing Midget AAA in Phoenix. He played just two games for Tri-City. In 2019-20 Knies spent the season with the Storm and made a real impact. He was named to the USHL All-Rookie Team. Knies scored 14 goals and 31 assists for 45 points in 44 games. Next season Knies will head to the NCAA and play his college hockey for the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers.

2021 NHL Draft #58: Matthew Knies Scouting Report

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad