RW Matthew Coronato - Calgary Wranglers, AHL (2021, 13th, CGY)

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
29 points in 13 games, 2.23 pts/gm leading the USHL. It’s really incredible how Chicago does this year after year. One years depth players are next year’s USHL’s best players.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Why do most on here have him quite behind Samoskevich? Wondering because I haven't seen either play, but one is clearly outscoring the other. They are roughly same size, and only a day apart in age.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Why do most on here have him quite behind Samoskevich? Wondering because I haven't seen either play, but one is clearly outscoring the other. They are roughly same size, and only a day apart in age.
Most rankings I’ve seen have Coronato ahead of Samoskevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I haven’t seen any rankings that have Coronato ahead, except a few stat watchers on this website. I like both players, but I think Samoskevich is a different class of player with much higher potential. I really don’t get how someone couldn’t see this. To me it’s very apparent. I also don’t get the insistence to compare them. They are very different style players.

Samoskevich’s game is based more off dominating the puck, making high end skill plays, and using his skating. He also plays center, although I could see that changing at the pro level. But unlike Coronato, he’ll probably be drafted as a center. He has a chance to be a line driving first liner at wing or center.

Coronato’s game is based off almost entirely the offensive zone. He’s smaller, a worse skater, and not as skilled. He scores probably as well and has great offensive instincts. I think he has a chance to be a complimentary top six winger that can finish chances off a line driver and keep up with how that player processes the game.

And it’s worth mentioning that Coronato’s on a pretty unsustainable scoring run. His numbers will come down at least slightly. On the other hand, Samoskevich probably has been unlucky with his point totals, given the scoring chances he’s been involved in and they should go up, not down.

Also, I’m not saying Coronato won’t replicate success at higher levels because I definitely think he will have success at higher levels, but as players get bigger, stronger and skate better, I can’t see him having the same degree of success. His game benefits from the extra time and space given to him in junior hockey. Samoskevich creates that himself, and his game certainly appears as if he’ll do so at higher levels.

Now can we can please stop these comparisons? Discuss them on their own merits, not compare them because they are teammates. This reminds me of the Rossi/Quinn debates last year.

Last edited:

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Well, first thanks for the explanation of why you feel Samoskevich is ahead, but I think you're going to be disappointed if you don't want them to be compared to each other.
Lastly, another question not related to Coronato...I'm guessing Josh Doan is Shane's kid? Was he draft eligable last year?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
No posts in a while hmmmm. Let me continue :)

Has played 2 more games. Is almost gpg and is over 2.00 ppg so far this season.
14 goals in 15 games, with 32 points, is +15. | leads the entire USHL in many many categories

His stock keeps rising i reckon.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’ve watched a lot of his games from this season recently.

He’s playing better defense than what I had seen last season. I think he’s a capable defensive player.

But the stats seem fluky for his level of offensive play. He’s cashing in on almost every offensive chance he’s involved with. He’s not the best offensive player in the league, as the point totals suggest. He’s probably not even the second best offensive forward on his own team.

I think his range is late first/early second. Any lower than that is too low because he has very good offensive instincts. He’ll score at higher levels. Any higher, I don’t see it. He doesn’t initiate play enough for that at his size/skating.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
7 points in his last 3 games...(8 in 4), his on going point streak lives on, 19 game point streak that is.
Has at least 1 point in each of his games this season.

17 goals
23 assists
40 points
2.12 ppg
+23
18 penalty minutes

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Well, first thanks for the explanation of why you feel Samoskevich is ahead, but I think you're going to be disappointed if you don't want them to be compared to each other.
Lastly, another question not related to Coronato...I'm guessing Josh Doan is Shane's kid? Was he draft eligable last year?

He is indeed. They talked a bit about it during his interview on Spittin Chiclets. They have a fairly stacked team. Pretty sure he was eligible last year.

Will be exciting to follow the Steels season. Since I can only follow the stats/articles about USHL guys, I always have trouble evaluating guys on such stacked USHL teams. Probably benefits a lot from an increased role this year. Also helps that he gets to play a fair amount of games compared to other draft eligible guys. Will probably go somewhere early in the 2nd/ maybe late in the first I assume. Excited to see how he does in Harvard

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He is indeed. They talked a bit about it during his interview on Spittin Chiclets. They have a fairly stacked team. Pretty sure he was eligible last year.

He’s improved a lot this season. As soon as I can make a thread for him, he’ll be getting one. He should absolutely be picked as an over-ager. One of the hardest working players in the USHL, if not the absolute hardest working.

JoshTessler

Jun 18, 2020
Paul Zuk from my team at Smaht Scouting wrote this report on Matthew Coronato. If you have any follow up questions, reach out to Paul on Twitter.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Somebody is going to get him in the first round, right?

Sure he is playing with a really good player Sean Farrell
but dude is 1.00 gpg and is 1.78 ppg as well, as a 17 year old, in the USHL.

If nothing goes wrong, he will most likely score 50 goals this season.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Somebody is going to get him in the first round, right?

Sure he is playing with a really good player Sean Farrell
but dude is 1.00 gpg and is 1.78 ppg as well, as a 17 year old, in the USHL.

If nothing goes wrong, he will most likely score 50 goals this season.
Those two are feasting, and both headed to Harvard U next year. They almost had Matt Beniers there to fill out a line as well.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->