RW Matthew Coronato - Calgary Wranglers, AHL (2021, 13th, CGY)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Coronato is another of the many good late ‘02 born Americans in the USHL. @Tryamkin’s description is right on. The kid knows how to score. He’s not that dynamic with his stick handling or skating, but he knows how to put the puck in the net and set up teammates. He has a very high hockey IQ.

I don’t know how high his upside is, but I would say he’s looking like firmly a second round prospect at this point to me. The very end of the first might not be out of the question depending on how good of a season he has with Chicago next year. And he probably will have a great season. They’ll lose a lot of their best players, and he should feature as one of their best players next season.

Reactions: Dominance

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Didn't see a thread on him, have seen a few games this year and have been impressed. He's slated for Havard next season ('21-'22) and so far is off to a great start on the high scoring Steel team. Will be interesting to see where he goes in the draft.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Leads the USHL in points right now with 12, and goals with 6. Also leads the league in shots with 28. I don’t think he’s going to lead the league in points or be the best player, but among pure scorers, there are few better in the USHL than Coronato. Within the offensive zone, he’s a huge weapon. There are definitely some differences, but between the pure scoring profile as a RH winger, being a non-NTDP American USHL’er, and some similarities in skillset, Coronato reminds me a little of Bobby Brink. Saying that, Coronato is slightly bigger and quicker, so I think he’ll have a better chance for success, but a similar type of draft range and profile, in my opinion.

Reactions: Tryamkin

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Leads the USHL in points right now with 12, and goals with 6. Also leads the league in shots with 28. I don’t think he’s going to lead the league in points or be the best player, but among pure scorers, there are few better in the USHL than Coronato. Within the offensive zone, he’s a huge weapon. There are definitely some differences, but between the pure scoring profile as a RH winger, being a non-NTDP American USHL’er, and some similarities in skillset, Coronato reminds me a little of Bobby Brink. Saying that, Coronato is slightly bigger and quicker, so I think he’ll have a better chance for success, but a similar type of draft range and profile, in my opinion.
very accurate comparison, and a potentially similar year in terms of production in the USHL. i think coronato has slightly superior skating at least in terms of fundamentals at that age (brink has improved since his draft year). early projection here but in this draft class could land from 15-25 in the 1st round.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Didn't see a thread on him, have seen a few games this year and have been impressed. He's slated for Havard next season ('21-'22) and so far is off to a great start on the high scoring Steel team. Will be interesting to see where he goes in the draft.
Yeah he’s a player who just thinks the game so well, and can score and produce in a multitude of ways. Almost all his goals have a different feel and look to them. I agree with the other poster that his puck skills and skating aren’t overly dynamic, but he does show some impressive bursts of speed and he does a good job of cutting in hard to the net. I think he’s a firm second round pick, but could see a team nabbing him in the 25-32 range. A lot of the times I am more impressed with him than Samoskevich, although I feel samo’s upside is just higher. But he’s got a few more holes in his game than Coronato imo.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Mastrosimone, Pietroniro, Abruzzeze , De St .Phalle , Colangelo, and now Coronato and the Fantilli brothers..That Chicago Steel team and their good Italian players I tell ya , don't know how they keep finding them like that.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Mastrosimone, Pietroniro, Abruzzeze , De St .Phalle , Colangelo, and now Coronato and the Fantilli brothers..That Chicago Steel team and their good Italian players I tell ya , don't know how they keep finding them like that.

Scratch pasta and meatballs?

Reactions: wings5

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
A lot of the times I am more impressed with him than Samoskevich, although I feel samo’s upside is just higher. But he’s got a few more holes in his game than Coronato imo.

I like Coronato, but I don’t think it’s even close. Scoring is close. I think Coronato shoots it as good and his goal instincts are probably better. Coronato is always looking for open space, while Samoskevich is looking to create space by beating defenders. Total points upside I’d give to Samoskevich because of the skill and playmaking. Overall game, I think that’s where there’s a difference. Coronato is not terrible in other parts of the game, but he’s going to have success or not have success based on his skating. Samoskevich is now playing center, and he’s a dynamic skater. I think he’s probably better suited as wing due to playing style, but he’s pretty good defensively, as well.

Reactions: montreal

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I like Coronato, but I don’t think it’s even close. Scoring is close. I think Coronato shoots it as good and his goal instincts are probably better. Coronato is always looking for open space, while Samoskevich is looking to create space by beating defenders. Total points upside I’d give to Samoskevich because of the skill and playmaking. Overall game, I think that’s where there’s a difference. Coronato is not terrible in other parts of the game, but he’s going to have success or not have success based on his skating. Samoskevich is now playing center, and he’s a dynamic skater. I think he’s probably better suited as wing due to playing style, but he’s pretty good defensively, as well.
Oh yeah don’t get me wrong I think Samoskevich is the better pro prospect and will go higher in the draft, elite skill and hands, and a wicked release. He’s always trying to make a play. I just find he has more holes to his game than Coronato. Coronato doesn’t skate as well or have the first step Samo has, but I think he’s more well rounded I feel. Samoskevich reallu has to cut down on his turnovers, I know skilled players will turn it over more often but he turns it over a lot, sometimes 3-4 times a shift. But can break a game wide open in a hurry too.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Oh yeah don’t get me wrong I think Samoskevich is the better pro prospect and will go higher in the draft, elite skill and hands, and a wicked release. He’s always trying to make a play. I just find he has more holes to his game than Coronato. Coronato doesn’t skate as well or have the first step Samo has, but I think he’s more well rounded I feel. Samoskevich reallu has to cut down on his turnovers, I know skilled players will turn it over more often but he turns it over a lot, sometimes 3-4 times a shift. But can break a game wide open in a hurry too.

i've been more impressed with Samoskevich so far but like both.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
8 points in 3 games the last 3 nights. He's running an insane pace right now. He generates so many shots on goal, too. I'm intrigued to see how much he rises this season.
At this point he has to be considered in the first round, he’s too good not to be. Maybe a late first round pick but he’s already a very good all around player and his offensive instincts are elite. I think his skating is fairly decent, not as smooth or explosive as Samoskevich but he can turn it on as well.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the late first round range is definitely possible for Coronato. I think it's a deep draft, which makes it such that there are probably a round worth of players for 10 spots in this range, but some of them aren't playing hockey right now, while Coronato is playing great hockey. He also has an extra year of production to show. I think reliability of the track record's of players in the first round is going to be a big factor in first round picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad