LW Matthew Boldy - Boston College, NCAA (2019, 12th, MIN)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Boldy can really finish, he knows how to play around the net and he's very smart. He's not low skill or a bad skater, just not a speedy dangler. On a very talented U17 NTDP team, he's more of the sandpaper role that goes to the tough areas. Boldy is also a capable defensive player. I think he's more of a complimentary player at the NHL level, I wouldn't project him as an extremely high pick for the 2019 draft, but I think he'll likely go in the first round.

EP Profile: Matthew Boldy

Reactions: Whalers Fan

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
How does he compare to Matthew Tkachuk? Sounds like a similar player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lead the AAPG in points today with 3. I thought he had some bad puck decisions, but he did a good job of getting on the scoresheet.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think Boldy's skill is a bit underrated, which is weird to say about a guy at #15 in Bob McKenzie's draft ranking. Since he's comfortable playing just about any role on the ice, his skill has gotten less attention as he played so much of the U17 season with Hughes and Caufield and thus filled a less primary role than he's capable of playing.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Thought he had a very strong performance at the All-American prospect game. Displayed nice skill, and a great shot beating the goalie from a distance to tie the game. But, the most notable part was he seemed to be able to read the play well to show up in the right places at the right time. He intercepted passes by getting to the right spot and reading the D.

I have a feeling he'll move into the top 10 by year end. I think he's another guy you look at who could bring great balance to a line if you already have that strong line-driving center. Another guy who gives the term complementary player a good name.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How does Boldy compare to a guy like Farabee?

I think Boldy has more skill to take over a shift and be a primary offensive player on a line, although not by much. Farabee is a better skater and better defensively, although again not by much in either area. They are both gritty, but in different ways. Farabee is smart and works hard in every zone, despite being undersized for playing a gritty game. I don't see Boldy being as good defensively or the PK'er that Farabee is, so the grit isn't really the same in all zones, but it is there in his forechecking and play near the net. I don't think Farabee is the forechecker that Boldy is.

Boldy reminds me of Brady Tkachuk. I know some will disagree about it, and say Tkachuk plays way more of a pest game. I think thats the most overrated part of Tkachuk's game. Matthew plays a pest game that will likely see him pick up a lot of suspensions over the course of his career. I think Brady plays a hard and in your face style of game. Clean though, and not with the intent to agitate. Thats what I see from Boldy. He may not play as hard as Brady Tkachuk does, but I think his value in the NHL will come from playing that style of in your face, near the crease, hard on the forecheck power winger role to go along with good complimentary offense in the top 6.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Boldy has more skill to take over a shift and be a primary offensive player on a line, although not by much. Farabee is a better skater and better defensively, although again not by much in either area. They are both gritty, but in different ways. Farabee is smart and works hard in every zone, despite being undersized for playing a gritty game. I don't see Boldy being as good defensively or the PK'er that Farabee is, so the grit isn't really the same in all zones, but it is there in his forechecking and play near the net. I don't think Farabee is the forechecker that Boldy is.

Boldy reminds me of Brady Tkachuk. I know some will disagree about it, and say Tkachuk plays way more of a pest game. I think thats the most overrated part of Tkachuk's game. Matthew plays a pest game that will likely see him pick up a lot of suspensions over the course of his career. I think Brady plays a hard and in your face style of game. Clean though, and not with the intent to agitate. Thats what I see from Boldy. He may not play as hard as Brady Tkachuk does, but I think his value in the NHL will come from playing that style of in your face, near the crease, hard on the forecheck power winger role to go along with good complimentary offense in the top 6.

He reminds me of Kieffer Bellows a little bit. The kid can shoot.

Physically he’s a lot like Tkachuk. But I thought Brady never got enough credit for his passing, he’s a really good playmaker. Better than Boldy in that regard.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He reminds me of Kieffer Bellows a little bit. The kid can shoot.

Physically he’s a lot like Tkachuk. But I thought Brady never got enough credit for his passing, he’s a really good playmaker. Better than Boldy in that regard.

I don't see it. I've seen like one or two outside snipes from Boldy, and both were bad goalkeeping. I don't think his shot is bad, but I don't see his value in his long-range shots. I think he's a very good finisher around the net though. I think Boldy is a good playmaker. I think his offense is pretty typical of most players. He'll have slightly more assists than goals, but not incredibly slanted towards goals or assists, like for some players. I also think Bellows is a lot more powerful than Boldy. Bellows overpowers players, Boldy doesn't do that as much.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't see it. I've seen like one or two outside snipes from Boldy, and both were bad goalkeeping. I don't think his shot is bad, but I don't see his value in his long-range shots. I think he's a very good finisher around the net though. I think Boldy is a good playmaker. I think his offense is pretty typical of a normal player. He'll have slightly more assists than goals, but not incredibly slanted towards goals or assists, like for some players. I also think Bellows is a lot more powerful than Boldy. Bellows overpowers players, Boldy doesn't do that as much.

Yeah, the last part is the key difference. Bellows is definitely more powerful.

I don’t see his passing being on the level or Tkachuk, personally. Not sure there is a great 1:1 for Boldy that I can think of, but I do like him a lot.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Yeah, the last part is the key difference. Bellows is definitely more powerful.

I don’t see his passing being on the level or Tkachuk, personally. Not sure there is a great 1:1 for Boldy that I can think of, but I do like him a lot.

Reminds me of Mark Stone. The thing that stands out the most to me is his puck possession. Even against the college teams he does a good job in the offensive zone using his body to shield the puck.

Reactions: Frk It

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Went to the NTDP U18 game at home versus Dubuque and they dominated 8-3. I thought Boldy really stood out, even with Hughes and Caufield.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
how does he compare to Wahlstrom who was another top 10 winger from the US program last year?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
how does he compare to Wahlstrom who was another top 10 winger from the US program last year?
I’d say the comparison starts and ends at the fact that they are both big goalscoring wingers. Boldy can’t sniff Wahlstrom’s shooting ability but is a far more accomplished scorer from around the net. Similar playmaking ability, I think. I don’t see how some scouting outlets have him at the edge of the first and second round.

Reactions: Nabrules

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Plays absolutely nothing like Wahlstrom. Boldy is an all-around winger, Wahlstrom is a sniper. Boldy will bring some of everything, but might lack a carrying tool. Wahlstrom’s carrying tool could make him a star or he might not be good enough aside from that tool to be a good NHL’er.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Plays absolutely nothing like Wahlstrom. Boldy is an all-around winger, Wahlstrom is a sniper. Boldy will bring some of everything, but might lack a carrying tool. Wahlstrom’s carrying tool could make him a star or he might not be good enough aside from that tool to be a good NHL’er.
Awesome, thanks for the response! Didn’t really know much about Boldy excpept his high goal totals! What do you think his ceiling is?

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
More and more scouting outlets have him inside in the top 10 now! interested to see how he and the other u18s play while Hughes is at the Wjs.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
having Turcotte back at the right time will help as well, team loses Hughes but gains Turcotte back...Boldy has done fine with Hughes or away from Hughes, I expect nothing to change for him as his style of play is less dependent on other players..

Reactions: Acadien86

DanCloutiers5hole

May 15, 2012
Van City
Boldy is one of the prospects that I've started following a bit closer lately , along with other USDP players . I think Vancouver will end up drafting in the 8-12 range this year where it seems Boldy has been forcasted to go. Now my question is how come he is consistently ranked higher than Zegras and Turcotte ? Not that I think he should or shouldn't , Im just trying to get a better feel of him and these other players. Turcotte I can understand due to his injury but curious about Zegras , outside of stat watching and physicality what separates the two? FYI id be thrilled to draft any one of these three , USDP continues to pump out great talent.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm starting to think Boldy's hockey IQ isn't as good as I initially thought, but his skating and skill are better than I thought.

He works very hard and often finds himself in the right positions in all zones, but a lot of his puck decisions aren't the best. I don't think his hockey IQ is more than good. Not a bad outcome by any means, but I would've said his hockey IQ was better than good previously. I don't think he's fast, but he's able to skate past players without being that fast. I also think he has at least 60 puck skills. I would've said 55 a couple of months ago, but 60-65 having watched him play more recently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->