LW Matthew Boldy - Boston College, NCAA (2019, 12th, MIN)

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Boldy and Zegras are the 2 I want the Canucks to be choosing between. I would be very happy with either, they'd fit different roles, but be great fits in our top 6.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I'm not well versed as far as this player. What's his ceiling? Are Wild fans hoping for a future fixture at LW on the first line?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Mark Stone was often mentioned as a comp, if that helps. His ceiling would be as a #1LW, though there has been some talk of him being switched to C in college, and eventually in the NHL if that takes. apparently he had always played C before he came to the USNDT, and played LW because they had too many C's as is.

I think everyone in MN was surprised that Boldy dropped to them, and don't know what to think, really. We expected one of Krebs or Newhook at best. While they might end up being every bit as good or better than Boldy, he is generally considered the safer pick.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Mark Stone was often mentioned as a comp, if that helps. His ceiling would be as a #1LW, though there has been some talk of him being switched to C in college, and eventually in the NHL if that takes. apparently he had always played C before he came to the USNDT, and played LW because they had too many C's as is.

I think everyone in MN was surprised that Boldy dropped to them, and don't know what to think, really. We expected one of Krebs or Newhook at best. While they might end up being every bit as good or better than Boldy, he is generally considered the safer pick.
Ya I had Boldy penciled in Anaheim at the 9.... but the broberg/seider picks really helped us get a player I really wanted in zegras(didnt think there was a chance hed fall to 9)…. which helped boldy drop down to you guys.

Would have been happy with either guy tho, Boldy is a beast.... will be interesting if he moves back to Center. I feel like he could become like a Bergeron/toews type as a center(maybe lite)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If it turns out that he can play C, then the Wild can have their cake, and eat it, too.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Interesting. Had no idea he could also play C. That would be a massive bonus for the Wild, whose future at C seems a little uncertain.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Interesting. Had no idea he could also play C. That would be a massive bonus for the Wild, whose future at C seems a little uncertain.

Nobody really knows if he can. This all coming from him saying that he played center before the development program. But he spent 2 years there on wing and was drafted as a winger. If we didn't feel like we desperately needed a future #1C, there'd be zero rumblings about it.

Reactions: NuxFan09 and 2Pair

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
As a Canucks fan, I wanted Boldy after Ducks picked Zegras. I like him more than Zegras for the Nucks needs anyways.

Completely forgot that Podkolzin was even on the board when he was announced as our pick. Wasn’t angry at the pick as a few months prior I was hoping we could land Pod. But his stock feel sharply.

Still think Boldy would have been the safer pick by far. Congrats Wild fans, you’ve got a stud PF in the making!

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Nobody really knows if he can. This all coming from him saying that he played center before the development program. But he spent 2 years there on wing and was drafted as a winger. If we didn't feel like we desperately needed a future #1C, there'd be zero rumblings about it.
Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Fans tend to leave no stone unturned when it comes to big question marks on the roster, both now and in the future.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Fans tend to leave no stone unturned when it comes to big question marks on the roster, both now and in the future.

The best play style comparable I've seen is Rantanen. They play a very similar game.

Reactions: B33K33PING

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Stems from either our GM or scouts commenting that any of the forwards we drafted this year could also play center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->