LW Matej Blumel (2019, 100th, EDM unsigned; signed by DAL)

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Anyone saw him play this season?
Matej Blumel at Elite Prospects
He has been goalscoring machine so far, 11 games in and he has 10+4, averaging almost 4 shots per game. Last year he only amassed 8+10 in 52 games, including playoffs. I have seen him many times in the U17/U18 Czech national team and while he was a decent player, he never stood out. Once recorded 4 goals against the top U18 USA squad, before leaving for the USHL he destroyed the Czech U18 league (31+19 in 25 games), but that offense never translated, until now.
Should he continue this pace he will be a hot candidate for the Czech WJC team and perhaps even for the upcoming NHL draft.

Some of his goals:

Reactions: czech

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Looks like he is good enough to destroy US team with 4 goals in one game, why he didn´t get drafted last year is beyond me....

He had a slow adjustment to NA game last year and improved late in the year but probably didn't raise his stock enough for the 2018 draft.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
12 goals, 20 points in 28 games in the top Czech league. One of the best performances for a 20 year old in that league. Hes actually the top scoring u23 player and one of best u24 players

Was a boom/bust pick at the time and seems to be tracking the former

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
They still hold his rights. The two year signing rule only applies for CHL players.
They lost his rights June 1st. He turned pro a few months after being drafted, so the deadline went from four years to two.

Bob Stauffer said today the Oilers opted not to sign him as opposed to forgetting, as some people are suggesting on Twitter.

Reactions: Eagle Peninsula

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
To me it feels like they got rid of him because he turned pro and that gave them 2 years instead of 4.

What a waste! Everyone knew he wouldn't be an NHLer in 2 years BUT he could've hit the AHL next year and been a good bottom 6 option going forward after that season.

He had a great year... he can snipe. However, he's great on the PK as well. Very versatlie. A perfect bottom 6er for cheap.

I don't know if he ever would've cracked the Oil but I do think he'll become an NHLer.

Wasted 4th round pick.. should've at least traded him for a 5th round pick.

Or, they forgot he exists and screwed up similar to that Russian player they thought they had signed awhile ago.lol

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'd love to god that the isles would go after him but czechs arent our specialty
I had to look it up.. not great. Neuvirth was also an Isle. I don't even remember that:

upload_2021-6-24_1-15-27.png

Straka is a legend but barely played for you.
Reichel is a legend and I seem to recall that him and Palffy were damn good together?
Vasicek is another legend (RIP) but short lived here.
I thought Volek was Slovak but I remember he scored a big goal.
Zidlicky, Martinek and Hamrlik are like unicorns as they were good at playing D and Czechs don't have many.

You are definitely right! Maybe Blumel reverses the trend.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I had to look it up.. not great. Neuvirth was also an Isle. I don't even remember that:

View attachment 449161

Straka is a legend but barely played for you.
Reichel is a legend and I seem to recall that him and Palffy were damn good together?
Vasicek is another legend (RIP) but short lived here.
I thought Volek was Slovak but I remember he scored a big goal.
Zidlicky, Martinek and Hamrlik are like unicorns as they were good at playing D and Czechs don't have many.

You are definitely right! Maybe Blumel reverses the trend.
if i am lou, take a stab at this dude.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Stupid not to sign him, he’ll be an NHLer at some point I bet.

I think he’s signed through 2024 in the Czech league.

This is the problem.

The Condors are lacking in forwards and could use him (the opposite is true of defenders) but he's signed overseas for a while and has no NHL out-clause.

Reactions: Reginald Dunlop

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
This is the problem.

The Condors are lacking in forwards and could use him (the opposite is true of defenders) but he's signed overseas for a while and has no NHL out-clause.
I thought the KHL was the only euro league where contracts don't have an NHL out clause?

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I thought the KHL was the only euro league where contracts don't have an NHL out clause?
Other than random posters (like myself)... I cannot find one concrete quote that says he signed a 4 year contract with no NHL clause. I've never heard of that from the Extraliga.

When he signed with his club .. they announced 3 years and it ended with him saying he will do everything to be an Oiler. Here is the press release from his actual club.. google translate does a good job.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This is the problem.

There's an extremely high chance it has an NHL out-clause, it would be super cheap for the Oilers to buyout the contract if it didn't or they could have given him a European Assignment Clause in his ELC and have him play it out overseas.

Seems like this just came down to the Oilers not wanting to sign him for some reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->