LW Mario Lucia - Notre Dame, NCAA (2011, 60th, MIN)

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
LW (LHS), 6' 2" 183
Born: August 25, 1993, Fairbanks, AK, USA
Team: Wayzata High School in Minnesota
Committed to:

Fnl Rank: 34 / Mid Rank: 30

PHP:
Season		Team	League			GP	G	A	TP	PIM	    	Postseason	GP	G	A	TP	PIM 
 2009-2010	 Team Wayzata	 USHS	--	--	--	--	--	|	 	 	 	 	 	  
 2009-2010	 Wayzata High	 USHS	25	15	25	40	06	|	 Playoffs	2	0	2	2	0 
 2010-2011	 US NTDP Jnrs	 USHL	06	03	00	03	00	|	 	 	 	 	 	  
 2010-2011	 Wayzata High	 USHS	24	25	22	47	14	|	 Playoffs	3	5	2	7	2 
 2010-2011	 Team NW	 MN Elite	 10	06	06	12	04	|	 Playoffs	1	0	0	0	0

article_36906_2.jpg

http://www.mnhockeyprospects.com/mario-lucia/
When you are the son of the Minnesota Golden Gophers coach it's a good bet that you are going to be pretty good, Lucia is just that...Lucia has good balance and is a good skater. Sees the ice well and is not afraid to control the puck in traffic. Lucia has a good shot and has shown the ability to finish around the net. Demonstrated that he can make tape-to-tape passes that have good velocity...

http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot.com/2010/12/mario-lucia-guy-you-should-know.html
The Wayzata H.S. (Trojans) junior left wing who impressed with a limited stint on the U.S. NTDP Under-18 earlier this fall has a live frame (6-2, 185 pounds) and pure skills...Here's what one NHL scout who saw him in action with the U.S. National Team earlier this season had to say about Don Lucia's youngest son: "He's got real nice size, but it's his skating and hands that are most impressive to me. Unlike a lot of big kids, he's got a quick burst out of the blocks, and that long, smooth stride of his generates a lot of power. He's still a little gangly, but you can see the coordination coming into his body. He can handle the puck well at speed and has a deceptive shot that he gets off pretty quick. He also sees the ice nicely and is a good passer. If he has a big season, then I think you'll see him shoot up the boards like Nick Bjugstad did last year. He's not as big as Bjugstad, but is a little more skilled and polished, in my opinion. He's got a lot of weight to put on and has to get stronger, but this kid has a lot of upside."

profimedia-0091812134.jpg

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1197608
McKeen's: On the Under-18 team, who did you tend to skate with as linemates and who did you feel you had the most chemistry with?

Lucia: I started out on the third and fourth line. Actually, my first game I started playing with Tyler Biggs and Rocco Grimaldi. Those are probably the two best players on the team and I was with them. Then, after that, on the third line, I played with "Haggs" (Ryan Haggerty) and Adam Reid. Then, once they got more comfortable with me and I got out there a little more and the coaches got to know me a little bit, I played with J.T. Miller and Travis Boyd, and I thought we worked together well. I don't know we just clicked well.

McKeen's: That's a good quote, and I agree with you. When I saw Tony with Omaha, he had some skill for sure, but his effort and two-way sense really shined through. I think that'll be what takes him to have a good pro career moving forward. To finish up with a softball question for you, who were some of your favorite players growing up and why and then who are some players today who you feel you're similar to or that you'd like to equate to?

Lucia: Growing up, I idolized Mario Lemieux, just because he was one of the best players to ever play the game. Nowadays, I look up to Sidney Crosby and Eric Staal. Those are my two favorite players. I don't really compare myself to anyone. Obviously, I like to play like some players, and I take bits and pieces from their game and try to incorporate them into my game.

Last edited:

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
Well, it will be interesting to see if the Isles draft him after Snow called his father out as a poor developer of young talent, back when Okposo played for him. - The isles 2nd round pick is right about where he is projected to go.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
For starters i am not going to predict what Lucia will do. Could he be a solid late find like Oshie, a reach like Wheeler, a bust like White, a promising young talent like Bjugstad, or a who knows. MN HS is hard to predict. There have been lots of talented guys drafted from the league. Its going to be hard to pass him up and at the same time it will be hard to pick him. He has done enough, all drafts are educated guesses to me, to be picked around mid first on. I am guessing someone will trade up in the 2nd to get him right away.

As for Lucia. If he ruined Okposo so bad. The Isles system must be one of the best around. As he is a fine NHLer. If that were the case shouldn't they be making the playoffs? So Lucia did just fine.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
I think there's been indications that he's leaning toward Notre Dame. I spoke to a scout last fall, and he likened Lucia's game to that of Derek Stepan.

He is a bit gangly, but I can see where there is some upside.

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
Mario Lucia???

I try to have some info on this kid why he decide to play in the BCHL and is it good for is career ??? He was draft 2nd by Minnesota in 2011 #60 , and he is not even in the top 20 Wild prospect list on HF .

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
He decided to play in the BCHL because if he were to play major junior he would be ineligible to play for a NCAA team (he has committed to the Notre Dame Fighting Irish for next season). BCHL is a step up from high school hockey, which is where he would be playing this year if he didn't take the BCHL route.

Honestly, the kid has a load of talent, but isn't close to playing pro yet. Like Nick Bjugstad he was drafted after his high school junior year. Unlike Bjugstad, he wasn't scholastically a year ahead of his peers, so he wasn't ready for college.

Bottom line: Yes, it's the best thing he could have done for his career, as far as difficulty of competition goes. The only reason he isn't in the Wild's top 20 is because the top 20 is VERY skilled right now. (And bear in mind the top 20 is just one person's opinion. I know for a fact many people think he should be in it.)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think he chose the BCHL over the USHL because it's a more offensive league and Lucia wants to work on his offensive skills. Can't really argue with his reasoning. I think he also probably wanted to "get away" a bit from the pressure of being expected to play for his dad at the University of Minnesota. In the BCHL he doesn't really have to worry much about that and can focus on his game whereas in the USHL it would probably come up quite a bit more.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
If our Wild board were to have a re-vote for our top 20 prospects, he would surely be in it. He was drafted a month or so before we voted on it so we didn't know a lot about his game enough to rank him in front of our other prospects.

But if you're referring to HF's Wild "writer" then I wont bother trying to explain his top 20. His info is dated and put players on there that will never play for the Wild.

Lucia is a beast though.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
He's a very toolsy prospect with a very projectable frame. Why he is where he is has already been touched on. But there wasn't a whole lot for him to accomplish in high school hockey anymore and with the sheer number of Minnesotans on that Penticton roster, it probably made the most sense for him.

He's every bit the higher end prospect. He's not in the Wild's top 20 here at HF because the MN "writer" here has never seen his game, nor the majority of the players he's trying to evaluate for that said top 20. I wouldn't put much stock into it, he's absolutely in Minnesota's plans moving forward and everyone who watched his high school career is excited about his future. The fact he's at a 2PPG pace and should hold in that range the majority of the year shouldn't really be all that surprising. The real question for him is how he adapts to the college game next season.

We as the Wild board had him at #12. Here's the top 15:
1. Mikael Granlund
2. Charlie Coyle
3. Jonas Brodin
4. Marco Scandella
5. Jason Zucker
6. Matt Hackett
7. Zack Phillips
8. Johan Larsson
9. Jared Spurgeon
10. Colton Gillies
11. Brett Bulmer
12. Mario Lucia
13. Tyler Cuma
14. Darcy Kuemper
15. Casey Wellman

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Been said mostly biu; In his own words or his own paraphrased words. He wanted to get away not just from his Dad and choosing MN and the then failing MN program. But he wanted to get out of his comfort zone. the USHL is still mid west hockey. Close to home. The BCHL is a bit further away and a new experiance.

IkeaMonkey*

I think he chose the BCHL over the USHL because it's a more offensive league and Lucia wants to work on his offensive skills. Can't really argue with his reasoning. I think he also probably wanted to "get away" a bit from the pressure of being expected to play for his dad at the University of Minnesota. In the BCHL he doesn't really have to worry much about that and can focus on his game whereas in the USHL it would probably come up quite a bit more.

Oh yea? Is that why the Reilly boys left Sioux Falls too? :x

Hammy5150

Nov 11, 2011
twitter.com
I think he chose the BCHL over the USHL because it's a more offensive league and Lucia wants to work on his offensive skills. Can't really argue with his reasoning. I think he also probably wanted to "get away" a bit from the pressure of being expected to play for his dad at the University of Minnesota.

It didn't help the Sioux Falls cause that its director of player personnel decided to be a vocal critic of Mario's dad this past off-season with the athletic director at the U of Minnesota. Not a wise move.

Billy Mays Here*

Hmmm. . . . not much there in terms of Notre Dame alums. Then again, Notre Dame hasn't really been much of a hockey school up until a few years ago.

mkoivu9*

Why isn't he going to the U of M ? And what does he project to be ?
Didn't want to play for his dad (wanted to create his own identity) also it had been speculated for some time that his dad was close to being fired prior to Mario's decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad