LW Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson (2009, 10th overall, Edmonton, traded to St. Louis) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Last edited by a moderator:

VikingSniper

Mar 10, 2010
I am very fond of MPS as well. Another winger to look forward seeing in a oilers jersey. Which disappoints me as the leafs hope seems to kadri and oiltown have MPS, Eberle and a top 5 pick this year which for there sake turns into Hall or Seguin.

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
As per Lowetides blog, MPS is doing very well.

18 year old in SEL comps including his current season:

1. Markus Naslund 39gp, 22-18-40 (1.03)
2. Tomas Sandstrom 36gp, 23-14-37 (1.03)
3. Daniel Sedin 50gp, 21-21-42 (.840)
4. Henrik Sedin 49gp, 12-22-34 (.694)
5. Peter Forsberg 39gp, 9-18-27 (.692)
6. # Magnus Paarjavi-Svensson 49gp, 12-17-29 (.592)
7. Nicklas Backstrom 46gp, 10-16-26 (.565)
# Anze Kopitar 47gp, 8-12-20 (.426)

GoldPuck

May 3, 2009

you missed Marcus Kruger

31 pts in 38 games!

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=8311

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden

Pretty good list of players he's joining ;)

HemskyToHall*

The company on that list is making me believe that MPS will be amazing.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Wow, that goal at the 2 minute mark is mind blowing.

Can't wait to see him and Eberle on the Oilers next season. And I'm a ****ing Avalanche fan.

deanmoriarty

Sep 2, 2008
great GOLD north
I'm worried about his game translating to NA. He gets a lot more time and space for dipsy-doodling in the SEL that he'll ever have in the NHL. And those d-men look butter soft.

Que Sera Sera

Dec 30, 2009
Ontario, Canada
MPS- NHL Ready

Watching MPS in the SEL and now at the WC has really made me think that this kid could play in the NHL today. He's that good.
Nice little play by MPS for the GWG against Switzerland yesterday:

He's tied for the World Championship lead in points, I believe, and is one of the youngest players there.
So what do you think? Is this Oilers prospect developing faster than expected? Is he NHL-ready? I think so.

FinnGoalie

Jul 24, 2007
Watching MPS in the SEL and now at the WC has really made me think that this kid could play in the NHL today. He's that good.
Nice little play by MPS for the GWG against Switzerland yesterday:

He's tied for the World Championship lead in points, I believe, and is one of the youngest players there.
So what do you think? Is this Oilers prospect developing faster than expected? Is he NHL-ready? I think so.

MPS has been impressive. Haven't seen him enough to judge his NHL readiness, though. There's, in general, lots of guys in Europe who COULD play in NHL but the question is how they would excel and produce.

On a side note, that goal looks awfully lot like the Malkin-Kovy play against Finland (on which they didn't score, see: Vehanen thread).

Que Sera Sera

Dec 30, 2009
Ontario, Canada
MPS has been impressive. Haven't seen him enough to judge his NHL readiness, though. There's, in general, lots of guys in Europe who COULD play in NHL but the question is how they would excel and produce.

On a side note, that goal looks awfully lot like the Malkin-Kovy play against Finland (on which they didn't score, see: Vehanen thread).
Oh, I know all about that save, a cousin of mine at the WC called me in the middle of school to tell me about it. Great save by Vehanen (who by the way I think will be great in the NHL) and I don't know how anyone could say that it's not impressive.
To be honest, though, MPS has been nothing BUT impressive. In the SEL, a men's league, Svensson has been tearing it up as a boy. He's going to be great if he can just touch up his ability to finish plays.

The Perfect Human*

He's second in WHC scoring right now, ahead of every player not named Dubinsky (who got 2 blowouts to pad his stats).

Sweden's highest goal output in any game this tournament has been 5, while Canada and USA have both had blowouts to work with - making Paajarvi's performance that much more impressive.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'd still like to see him adjust to the smaller rinks in the AHL first but he's close.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Definitely ready. I think he's been ready since the fall.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
He'll be really good in the future. But I think that he is not ready. He's got all the physical tools to succeed at the NHL level, but I think that he's not strong enough on the puck in the corners to play the NHL game just yet. Plus he attempts some through-the-legs type stuff that just isn't going to work at that level - or that will at least drive Pat Quinn crazy. If I were Edmonton I'd give him one more year in the SEL plus a year in the AHL and then watch him ravage NHL defenders thereafter. I dunno, probably not many who would agree with me, but I think that Omark is a tad more NHL ready at this point.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
PHP:

I never get this. If a player is good enough to play in the NHL, why can't the adjust IN the NHL? What would for instance have been the benefit for Backström to have played a year in the AHL?

SEL>>>AHL. Regardless of rink size.

Regardless of whether the SEL > AHL or vice-versa, I think that all can agree that a) they are different types of leagues, and b) the AHL is more similar to the NHL than the SEL is. The benefit, I believe, of playing that year in the AHL is for two reasons. First, it provides for a transitional period whereby the prospect can comprehend the nuances of a new type of play (as well as perhaps cultural differences) without feeling the constant pressure to succeed that is mandatory in the NHL, all the while building confidence up for the upcoming NHL callup. Second, it gives them a multitude of experiences to draw from when they find themselves trying to manage situations in the best league in the world.

It might not always be the best option. If the kid can play in the NHL, then he can play in the NHL. But sometimes the baby-step procedure works out for the best. The list of NHL superstars who have bided thier time is near endless: look at Patric Hornqvist, Bobby Ryan, Daniel Brier, for example. Similarly, the list of players who have been rushed to the NHL and later surpassed by draftees from the same year is quite large.

Que Sera Sera

Dec 30, 2009
Ontario, Canada
He'll be really good in the future. But I think that he is not ready. He's got all the physical tools to succeed at the NHL level, but I think that he's not strong enough on the puck in the corners to play the NHL game just yet. Plus he attempts some through-the-legs type stuff that just isn't going to work at that level - or that will at least drive Pat Quinn crazy. If I were Edmonton I'd give him one more year in the SEL plus a year in the AHL and then watch him ravage NHL defenders thereafter. I dunno, probably not many who would agree with me, but I think that Omark is a tad more NHL ready at this point.
Are you being serious? No offense but most of what you said is manifestly ridiculous. There is no way (unless I misunderstood you) that Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson is spending another two years outside of the NHL without ever having a chance to play there. Not a hope. And to say that Omark is more ready is crazy. I love Linus, but he is a giveaway machine and he needs to gain weight before he'll play in the NHL. At any rate, to say Pääjärvi-Svensson will be outside of the NHL for another two years... that's crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad