LW Luke Toporowski (2019 undrafted; signed by BOS; traded to MIN)

NickLidstrom

Ottawa & Detroit fan
Dec 1, 2013
Umeå
Who on earth is Luke Toporowski? According to Scottie Bowman, he's one of the 'best prospects he's ever seen', and potentially the next big prospect. He was drafted 8th overall by the Spokane Chiefs in the Bantam draft. Anyone have anymore information on the kid?

Last edited:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Here's the article that I saw come out today on him, it was Scotty Bowman that they're quoting (Stan's Dad): http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...gue-goon-might-be-next-big-thing-in-us-hockey

"He's one of the best prospects I've ever seen," Bowman said. "He's got a terrific stride, skates like [Sidney] Crosby. Hard to knock off his feet, just cutting around the defense and accelerating."

In May, the Spokane Chiefs of the Western Hockey League selected Toporowski with the eighth pick in the first round of the bantam draft, which marked the first time since 2009 that an American-born player went in the first round.

Before joining his older brother, Jake, an 18-year-old defenseman with Spokane, Toporowski will play one more season with the Chicago Mission, a Bantam Major Triple-A team of the High Performance Hockey League, coached by former NHL player Gino Cavallini.

With 22 goals and 11 assists in 20 games last season for the Mission, he was the league's highest scorer. He also led all players in scoring at the 2015-16 Pat Quinn Classic Bantam Elite Tournament.

"He's among the strongest skaters I've ever coached," said Cavallini, who played 593 NHL games from 1984 to 1993 with Calgary, St. Louis and Quebec. "I would say, the way he's tracking, he's going to be one of the top prospects in the country."

With that sort of a billing, I think we'll start to hear about him over the next year or two. If he produces big numbers, I could see some "the next one" rumblings or at least an early placeholder as a high pick for the draft in 3 years

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He's awesome.. have seen him play a bunch and he will be a force in a few years absolutely

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
His family isn't from Spokane but his dad, brother and now him have all been Chiefs :laugh: I haven't heard about him attending training camp later this week which is unfortunate since I always like to check out prospects early but I'm looking forward to seeing him next year. And I'd love to read more scouting reports about what I can anticipate seeing on the Chiefs in the next few years.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
His family isn't from Spokane but his dad, brother and now him have all been Chiefs :laugh: I haven't heard about him attending training camp later this week which is unfortunate since I always like to check out prospects early but I'm looking forward to seeing him next year. And I'd love to read more scouting reports about what I can anticipate seeing on the Chiefs in the next few years.

Weird he wouldn't attend training camp since he is signed with Spokane already

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Weird he wouldn't attend training camp since he is signed with Spokane already

Yeah the camp doesn't start until tomorrow so I don't know for sure yet but the Chiefs article didn't mention him among the notable players attending. Hopefully he will be there though because I'd really like to see him sooner than next August

Edit: it does mention that there will be two Iowan players which could very well be him and Jake. Just seems odd that they wouldn't make specific mention of him attending as the most recent 1st round pick. I know they listed Ty Smith last year before camp. Clearly they need to hire me to write these things lol

Last edited:

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Remove the dual citizen, this nonsense of being born in one place and playing for another country is stupidity. New rules need to be made, you play for the country your born and TRAINED in.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Remove the dual citizen, this nonsense of being born in one place and playing for another country is stupidity. New rules need to be made, you play for the country your born and TRAINED in.
So William Nylander should play for Canada or the United States? Speaking in absolutes is absurd. Plus technically for the next two years at a minimum he will be part of the Canadian development system. Will be starting in the Canadian development system at about the same age William moved back to Sweden.

So Spokane has locked this kid up? Good move, very hard to get kids to avoid taking the USNDP route these days.

NickLidstrom

Ottawa & Detroit fan
Dec 1, 2013
Umeå
Here's the article that I saw come out today on him, it was Scotty Bowman that they're quoting (Stan's Dad): http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...gue-goon-might-be-next-big-thing-in-us-hockey

"He's one of the best prospects I've ever seen," Bowman said. "He's got a terrific stride, skates like [Sidney] Crosby. Hard to knock off his feet, just cutting around the defense and accelerating."

In May, the Spokane Chiefs of the Western Hockey League selected Toporowski with the eighth pick in the first round of the bantam draft, which marked the first time since 2009 that an American-born player went in the first round.

Before joining his older brother, Jake, an 18-year-old defenseman with Spokane, Toporowski will play one more season with the Chicago Mission, a Bantam Major Triple-A team of the High Performance Hockey League, coached by former NHL player Gino Cavallini.

With 22 goals and 11 assists in 20 games last season for the Mission, he was the league's highest scorer. He also led all players in scoring at the 2015-16 Pat Quinn Classic Bantam Elite Tournament.

"He's among the strongest skaters I've ever coached," said Cavallini, who played 593 NHL games from 1984 to 1993 with Calgary, St. Louis and Quebec. "I would say, the way he's tracking, he's going to be one of the top prospects in the country."

With that sort of a billing, I think we'll start to hear about him over the next year or two. If he produces big numbers, I could see some "the next one" rumblings or at least an early placeholder as a high pick for the draft in 3 years
Thanks for correcting me and thanks again for providing the article. I tried finding it but for some reason I had trouble locating it.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Thanks for correcting me and thanks again for providing the article. I tried finding it but for some reason I had trouble locating it.

No problem - oddly enough I haven't seen Toporowski getting real consideration as a top prospect for the 2019 draft at this point. I've seen him mentioned on a few extended lists of 45ish players, but not in the top 20 of anything. Maybe it was just a slow news day for hockey journalists?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
So William Nylander should play for Canada or the United States? Speaking in absolutes is absurd. Plus technically for the next two years at a minimum he will be part of the Canadian development system. Will be starting in the Canadian development system at about the same age William moved back to Sweden.

So Spokane has locked this kid up? Good move, very hard to get kids to avoid taking the USNDP route these days.

This kid is born and raised in the U.S.. Yes, he should play for the U.S. (which doesn't appear to be in question to him). Also, not clear on the eligibility issues, but would a kid like this need to just play in the CHL for two years or a Canadian based CHL team for two years to be eligible to play for Canada?

WesternCollegeHockey

Jul 13, 2006
Am pretty sure that must be Kerry Toporowski's kid.

If so, Luke's Dad was a goon, he was an animal back in the day. LOL

He is Kerry's son.

The older Toporowski kid was really good as a bantam too. Not quite this level, but near the top of his age group. He seems to have really leveled off since going to Spokane though since he didn't even get drafted.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
This kid is born and raised in the U.S.. Yes, he should play for the U.S. (which doesn't appear to be in question to him). Also, not clear on the eligibility issues, but would a kid like this need to just play in the CHL for two years or a Canadian based CHL team for two years to be eligible to play for Canada?

I don't understand why he would need to play in the CHL? If he already has Canadian citizenship he can play for Canada, period.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Not really interested in the political ramifications of his playing in the CHL, but that he winds up in the WHL versus in USNTDP is hardly a surprise given his father's history (hint: Spokane).

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
He is Kerry's son.

The older Toporowski kid was really good as a bantam too. Not quite this level, but near the top of his age group. He seems to have really leveled off since going to Spokane though since he didn't even get drafted.

Yeah Jake is good but not really anything special. I don't think he'll be a professional but he could potentially work his way up through the leagues. He also might have a much bigger role this year with Spokane's #1 D being gone.

@skinnyjimmy08 He is going to be at training camp thankfully. He'll be in 7 scrimmages in the next 4 days so I'm hoping to see how he stacks up against the older players

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I never buy this generational hype since McDavid, no one comes close. I think a Larkin, Connor level prospect would be a solid and reasonable level he could reach.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You can play for any team in the CHL I'm pretty sure, the same applies in the opposite direction. If the kid identifies as Canadian, has Canadian citizenship and qualifies he should be free to play for Canada if he wants. By the logic of the original poster, William Nylander shouldn't be able to play for any country, which is ridiculous.

Plus your country is poaching way more talent than ours. Just look at Bode Wilde going USNDP route, or previously Fowler.

Last edited:
Reactions: SimonRM

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't understand why he would need to play in the CHL? If he already has Canadian citizenship he can play for Canada, period.
Minimum 2 years of playing in Canada, I'm pretty sure any CHL team qualifies, as it is a duel league like the NHL.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
By the logic of the original poster, William Nylander shouldn't be able to play for any country, which is ridiculous.

Nylander didn't play in an IIHF event until he had spent 2 seasons in Sweden.

Toporowski will not have played solely in Canada for two years by his draft year (although the CHL is different).

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, I just think that that is what he is saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad