LW Liam Öhgren - Djurgardens IF J20, J20 Nationell (2022, 19th, MIN)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like his offensive instincts. He gets himself into good scoring areas. Can pass/shoot. I’m not sure I agree with the post above. His skating looks about average. Not a flashy player from what I’ve seen. Two way winger who has high-end scoring instincts. Boring but an effective player. Probably a round two guy.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Watched him in the SHL for the first time today. Looks like it will be a pretty smooth transition for him, handles the pace and the physical play fairly well already. Got icetime late in a tight game too.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
27 points in his last 10 games in the Swedish U20 juniors.
Too bad he won't get any quality SHL ice time for the desperate Djurgården team...trying to avoid relegation.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Öhgren and his center Noah Östlund are fun pairing(even more so if you add Lekkerinmäki to that line) to watch. I highly recommend to watch some games if you haven't done that yet.

LeonTheKing

Aug 8, 2016
Based on my viewings, Östlund drives the line/is the playmaker, Öhgren is the power forward guy who can also score goals and Lekkerinmäki is the sniper/finisher.

In my opinion, nobody is passanger and they all compliment each other really well.

Agree. Östlund is a brain of the line, Öhgren does a lot of dirty work and Lekkerimäki has slick hands and great shot. Unique line. In my eyes Öhgren is the most replaceable piece, though. Don't get me wrong - he does great job there, but he wouldn't be so productive without Noah and Jonathan, he really benefits from playing with them. I see him as nearly finished product, while Östlund and Lekkerimäki both have long way to go and I think they have higher potential. However, Öhgren is 15-20 pick for me since he has absurdly high floor. All he needs is high-IQ center, then you get Landeskog-lite.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Agree. Östlund is a brain of the line, Öhgren does a lot of dirty work and Lekkerimäki has slick hands and great shot. Unique line. In my eyes Öhgren is the most replaceable piece, though. Don't get me wrong - he does great job there, but he wouldn't be so productive without Noah and Jonathan, he really benefits from playing with them. I see him as nearly finished product, while Östlund and Lekkerimäki both have long way to go and I think they have higher potential. However, Öhgren is 15-20 pick for me since he has absurdly high floor. All he needs is high-IQ center, then you get Landeskog-lite.
Glad to see I am not the only one who gets heavy Landeskog vibes out of Öhgren. Really good complimentary piece who can play anywhere and still be at least a good productive player. I also think he is most finished product of the three, but maybe lowest on the high end potential.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Usually the complimentary guy doesn't significantly out-produce the line drivers though.

Ohgren: 33 goals and 58 points in 30 games (1.93 PPG)
Lekkerimaki: 20 goals and 35 points in 26 games (1.34 PPG)
Ostlund: 9 goals and 42 points in 32 games (1.31 PPG)

What accounts for this massive gap in production?

Last edited:

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
I would say Öhgren has size/strength advantage that he uses quite well when he is in U20. He has not been quite as dominant in SHL. Lekkerinmäki has easiest game to translate for big show(even with his current flaws) and that's why Lekkerinmäki has produced the most out of the three in SHL.

LeonTheKing

Aug 8, 2016
Lekkerimaki and Östlund are kids, sometimes naive, trying to be human highlight reels. It's impossible to play like this in the NHL, but if they figure it out, watch out. Kind of boom-or-bust prospects.

Öhgren is man, playing mature and effective game, he is willing to do all dirty work, isn't hungry for filthy goals. That's what makes him a NHLer in a few years.

mistaclick

Feb 2, 2022
Ohgren looks like he has a safe floor as some sort of a checking winger. Size/skill combo works in his favour for sure. Sometimes floats around too much, waits for play to come to him and although it works with great players on your line, wish he could be more proactive/assertive at times. Maybe that's just because you get to play at J20 level with Ostlund and Lekkerimaki and they'll make the plays, but who knows... :laugh: Good in the OZ and works to find soft spots on the ice. Does work hard though, the floating isn't a knock necessarily, just more positional then effort I'd say.

Ostlund looks like he'll be a monster in transition and entering the zone. Play driver, great motor, goes to dirty areas, and plays the middle of the ice. I don't know why his scoring is that low compared to the other guys, but it might be due to him going to those dirty areas and doing that work. Great facilitator and reads the ice well. He plays a well rounded game though, and for that reason I see some serious top-6 upside in him especially as a center. Quick hands, feet, brain, needs a bit more mass on the frame down the road.

I like both and have a tough time comparing, but they should both be gone mid-late 1st round easily.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->