LW Leevi Aaltonen - KalPa, FIN JRS (2019, 130th, NYR)

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Continues his good form from Hlinka with 2+6 in 3 games vs Sweden on this weekends U17 games.

Looks like all of those assists were primary assists, if the stats are correct.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Continues his good form from Hlinka with 2+6 in 3 games vs Sweden on this weekends U17 games.

Sad that these weren't streamed. The comeback in that final game was pretty ridiculous. 3 points in the comeback from 2-5 to 5-5 in the last period, with Finland then winning in OT.

I really hope he'll have a great season with his club team.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
The skating is there and the shot pretty much too, but unfortunately I don't see the hockey IQ or the hands there. So unfortunately no. I will be gladly wrong with this though. Just don't see it happening.

Aye atm me neither. This based on what I saw of him last season. Leevi showed a lot of promise early on but peewee/jr success does not always lead to stardom.

It's not a final verdict or anything though, just worried about the hockey IQ and I hope I'm wrong about that like I was with Aho (although I never doubted his hockey smarts).

Reactions: Ippenator

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
He has been impressive so far. 2+1 in last 4 preseason games, his team was shutout in game against kärpät.

Reactions: Ippenator

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
Not worried about IQ. I think he's actually very smart. He anticipates plays very well. Where I am worried is his physical attributes and his high-end skill level. Lack of physical development will prevent him from NHL career...top-end skill will decide where he lands on the Hagelin <---------> Arvidsson continuum...or whatever the Finnish equivalent to that is...uh...Korpikoski <----------> Aho ...?

Reactions: DaveG

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
This whole time I had no idea he was playing in Liiga, thought he was still in juniors because no one really talks about him that much anymore.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Aaltonen 30th among Euro skaters, seems very low.

Not really. He is a 4th or 5th rounder at this point.

Great skater and has some offensive skill but he still looks the same player he did when he was 14. Lack of any phycical growth in the past few years is concerning.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
A Sudden Leevitation in development needed. Or the kid will Leeve us wanting more gasping for air holding it for so long for nothing but void promises.

Reactions: Acadien86

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Leevi has looked pretty good in the U18 tournament. Even in the games where team Finland has sucked, he made good decisions with the puck. He used to be very hyped but then slowed down, but he could be an interesting pick despite being small.

Last edited:

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I still believe that 19/20 could become Leevis year. He should become regular starter in Liiga in Kalpa or leave for another club. The skating is there, the attitude. He has added 6 kg as well. I hope he get´s drafted by franchises with fellow finns. He could have a bright future in Canes, Preds, Jets, Canadiens etc.
In a fast line with Ylönen in 2-3 years, that would be something else.
Or with a smart player like Teuvo or Aho who could benefit of a speedy winger. Or imagine Granlunds split vision with Leevis speed on his wing.
Leevi is not a secure pick by any means, but i really do believe he can give a high reward as a top9-top6 winger for the right franchise.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Leevi Aaltonen has garnered interest in Finnish hockey circles for a couple of years now although he is still just 14 years old. He is now playing his first season in a nationwide junior league and has been ripping it apart from the beginning. Being two years underage he has now 10 goals and 16 assists in just six games, a pace that noone has ever scored in the Junior C - not even older players. Current points per game record is Teemu Pulkkinen's 3.91 scored as a 15-year-old, so Aaltonen is really making a name of himself.

He is listed as 5'7" / 139 lbs but obviously he is still growing. It's still early, but as of now he is by far the most intriguing Finnish prospect from the 2018 or 2019 draft classes.

Leevi Aaltonen's profile at EliteProspects.

"but as of now he is by far the most intriguing Finnish prospect from the 2018 or 2019 draft classes."

O, how four years changes everything

Reactions: FVM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->