LW Kristian Vesalainen (2017, 24th, WPG)

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Anybody know what is going on with him? Still hasn't signed with Winnipeg and has been removed from two national team tournaments that he was supposed to play this month.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Anybody know what is going on with him? Still hasn't signed with Winnipeg and has been removed from two national team tournaments that he was supposed to play this month.
Wasnt it this guy who blasted his shl club

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
the coach in one of those tournaments could be the coach of both for all I know said he kept him out of the one in Kamloops cause he was coming to the jets camp in September. he will be in Winnipeg for the main camp.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Does not seem like blasting. Seems like telling how it was. He has said that he thinks going to Sweden was the correct choice and he learned a lot there.

I saw him early in the season that year, they had him on the 1st line with Joel Lundkvist. Played the game the right way, they would not get him the puck.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
About time. Now here's to hoping he torches the camp, cause that's pretty much what it takes even just to get the nine games. Otherwise he should be close to NHL ready as it is, just tough luck with the competition. :)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Looks like he's going to make the Jets out of camp. Very interesting.

im actually quite surprised by this but apparently Maurice loves the guy... I still expect him to be demoted though.. but who knows

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am surprised no one has mentioned this. I didn't expect Kristian to make the NHL this soon. But there he was on the score sheet last night in the Jets opener. He must have had the quietest good camp around here. The Jets do it again with a mid to late first rd pick paying dividends already.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
They got quite lucky, either due to him being available or due to the scouts again looking whoever knows where. Vesalainen should have been ranked much higher than he was. He's a Canadian with that u-18 JWC performance and he goes top 10(looking at you Tyson Jost).

Reactions: Ippenator

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Congrats to him scoring his first NHL point. Didn't get to bear too much responsibility on ice, but he held up during his shifts.

The first games can be a bit shaky, I think we will see his confidence grow massively if he is allowed to play more games.

I think a lot of people are calling for him to be sent to AHL too early. Let him play a few games to see what he needs to work on.

paragon

May 5, 2010
I am surprised no one has mentioned this. I didn't expect Kristian to make the NHL this soon. But there he was on the score sheet last night in the Jets opener. He must have had the quietest good camp around here. The Jets do it again with a mid to late first rd pick paying dividends already.
He was mostly invisible that game. He had couple of turnovers, one of which was lead to a good scoring chance for the Blues. And his secondary assist was uninspiring.

Don't get me wrong, I think he will be a good NHL player, but the first game wasn't really anything to write home about.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Knowing the type of coach Maurice is, for Kristian to make the team this early. I am take it he has even impressed Maurice alot. That says something to me.
Well Vesalainen also has an out clause in his contract and the negotiations took quite long, so maybe it was made clear that he will return to Finland, if he is sent down. But with Armia gone I think he has a spot in the lineup. He's a better option than Petan, Lemieux or Dano.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He was mostly invisible that game. He had couple of turnovers, one of which was lead to a good scoring chance for the Blues. And his secondary assist was uninspiring.

Don't get me wrong, I think he will be a good NHL player, but the first game wasn't really anything to write home about.

Played only 8:12 last night. Infact, Ehlers only played 10:31 mins. Ice time is going to be a challenge on that team.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Getting less than 10 minutes a game, I think it's quite clear he will be sent down after the 9 games. Will he be sent to the AHL or back to Karpat?

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Getting less than 10 minutes a game, I think it's quite clear he will be sent down after the 9 games. Will he be sent to the AHL or back to Karpat?
100% AHL. He stated during the season that he's in it to get into the NHL and not going to AHL would make that transition slower. He would be allowed to come to Kärpät any time though. Our 3rd line (or 1st line) needs a pure goalscorer.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
He's heading to AHL Moose right now. It could be for just a game or two but could also be longer. Maurice said he doesn't like young players "sitting around" and that he wants to see KV play in all types of situations.

The Jets will continue to roll KV, Lemmy, and eventually Petan as the the 12th forward until someone seperates himself from the pack. I think Lemmy adds the hustle, board play and grit that the 4th line needs while Petan is the most versatile positionally. My educated guess tells me KV is the odd one out this season and spends 60-70 games in the AHL when all is said and done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad