LW Kristian Vesalainen (2017, 24th, WPG)

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Do you think he’ll play in Manitoba next year or stay in Finland? His numbers are amazing for a D+1 player playing pro, but Winnipeg’s roster is going to be tough to crack.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Do you think he’ll play in Manitoba next year or stay in Finland? His numbers are amazing for a D+1 player playing pro, but Winnipeg’s roster is going to be tough to crack.

He's said he's coming over to NA next year. Probably the Moose to start unless he dominates preseason. Not a lot of forward spots open.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
He's said he's coming over to NA next year. Probably the Moose to start unless he dominates preseason. Not a lot of forward spots open.
There could be a spot. Is Winnipeg expected to re-sign all of their RFAs, like Armia, Dano and Tanev? Also, Stastny is likely gone.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There could be a spot. Is Winnipeg expected to re-sign all of their RFAs, like Armia, Dano and Tanev? Also, Stastny is likely gone.

It's going to be a tough spot to crack. Jets likely re-sign everyone but Matthias. Stats is a wild card as I think everyone wants to keep him but there will be a few road blocks that may stop that from happening.

He'll have to beat out one of Laine, Ehlers, Perreault, Wheeler, Connor, Armia or Roslovic for a spot likely. Unless Rosie moves to C full time next year. I'd wager he spends a year with the Moose.

LeonTheKing

Aug 8, 2016
I don't know, Perreault is more fit on the LW, but that TOP9 would look amazing.

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Laine - Little - Ehlers
Vesalainen - Perreault - Roslovic
Copp/Tanev - Lowry - Armia

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I don't know, Perreault is more fit on the LW, but that TOP9 would look amazing.

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Laine - Little - Ehlers
Vesalainen - Perreault - Roslovic
Copp/Tanev - Lowry - Armia
You could perhaps even switch Connor and Vesalainen? I think it all comes down to how he impresses in camp (obvious). I don't think you can count him out just because there appears to be a logjam.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Trade Perreault, re-sign Stastny.

Connor - Sheif - Wheeler
Laine - Stastny - Ehlers
Vesa - Little - Roslovic

Done.

I know I’ll get scrutinized for this but I hope the Jets trade Little and Perreault for picks, Perreault has a great contract but long term I think he fits(a Top 6 Forward playing Top 9 minutes that doesn’t play the PK who’s gonna take 4m of cap space until 2021), while Littles contract is pretty bad especially considering his massive decline in performance this year(I really don’t think we can afford Laine if we have Little and Perreault)

Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Ehlers Stastny Laine
Vesalainen Lowry Armia
Copp Roslovic Appleton

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Jets are going to be scary good on the wings with these riches. Another Finn, which is great, but another skilled fwd with size and muscle. Not a pleasant team to play against in the least.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Jets are going to be scary good on the wings with these riches. Another Finn, which is great, but another skilled fwd with size and muscle. Not a pleasant team to play against.

My best guess at the future lineup(when Wheeler is done(though he looks like Benjamin Button every new season) and Little and Perreault move on... I don’t know if this hurts or helps Vesalainen but he will likely be playing his off-wing side(maybe Connor or Ehlers does so on the 2nd line) for the bulk of his career(unless he learns to play Center, yes that is sarcasm not optimism).

Ehlers Scheifele Laine
Connor Roslovic Vesalainen(Off-Wing)
Copp Lowry Appleton
Tanev(?) Harkins Spacek

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
My best guess at the future lineup(when Wheeler is done(though he looks like Benjamin Button every new season) and Little and Perreault move on... I don’t know if this hurts or helps Vesalainen but he will likely be playing his off-wing side(maybe Connor or Ehlers does so on the 2nd line) for the bulk of his career(unless he learns to play Center, yes that is sarcasm not optimism).

Ehlers Scheifele Laine
Connor Roslovic Vesalainen(Off-Wing)
Copp Lowry Appleton
Tanev(?) Harkins Spacek

Spacek is a guy I liked his draft year.

I posed this premise earlier. Building on he wing with strong bookends can work, with plugging in good centers down the middle. Jets are lucky to have Scheifele.

But the Jets wings are loaded. This is what I like.

Wheeler Connor
Laine Ehlers
Roslovic Vesalainen
Armia, Copp

Size, skill, speed combo. Pretty fun to watch

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Vesalainen with a beauty goal in the Liiga playoffs last night.

Kid is getting better and better.

Reactions: Cellee

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Most Finns require an adjustment period to NA hockey. I hope the Jets give him the foundation. This guy looks like a player. Still shocked he somehow made it to #24 in a draft not billed as overwhelming. Jets have an uncanny knack for having players fall into their rich laps.
Yeah, it's kinda puzzling he fell. Same with Tolvanen. Head scratchers.
It's not very surprising that he fell. He had a very rough season in his draft year - with not bedding in well in Sweden and then transferring back over to Finland and not pulling up any trees it's easy to see why teams passed on him.

I think his really good showing at the u18 tournament is the reason why the Jets decided to put some faith in him and look at that season as an aberration and while it's only been a year it looks like that was a good gamble.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Another goal and assist for Vesalainen in his Liiga playoff game. Also had a tussle, so sort of a Finnish version of a Gordie Howe hat trick. Now up to 3g +2a in 7 playoff games.

Looking more and more like a top-end prospect.

Replay of his goal today...

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He'll be too good of an add under the cap when the Jets need to get rid of guys or players were to leave for more money. So happy with this pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad