LW Kirill Marchenko (2018, 49th, CBJ)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Umm, no, I like Marchenko and his shot, but it isn't as good as Semin's even now, not to mention the times when his wrister was one of the best in the NHL.
What an insane comment when I read it lol. If it was that good he would be considered a top 10/20 prospect.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I simply don't buy that his shot is Semin level, let alone better. Dude had one of the best wrist shots of his era.
It's not. People coming up with those weird comparisons is weird, but people actually hyping those misconceptions up are the real problem in the threads here:)

He has a good shot. But comparing it to one of the greatest wristers ever is not just a bit much.

Reactions: TimeZone and bert

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Not sure, why was he picked in the 2nd

He had as solid of a season as a 16 year old who's not Michkov can have at the time. He also had a good MHL playoffs in his draft season and u-18 WC which cemented his spot in the 2nd round

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Thinking of making an offer in keeper pool. He has 4 years left. Is his 2024-25 season what do you think he could put up? Just points.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
In his draft year he scored 8+8 in 31 MHL games. Not sure, why was he picked in the 2nd, that kind of production usually leaves kids outside drafts at all. But what a progress he's made since that.

The Blue Jackets seem to be one of the few teams actually having the %!%!"¤ to draft players they like - rather than just players everyone will accept as a decent pick based on eliteprospect.com numbers and some sort of random consensus.

I'm in a 31 teams keeper only league where we do full drafts every year. I am hardly an expert on spotting talent and the resources available to me are basically YouTube, blogs etc. I can't say I have been drafting brilliantly over the 4 or so drafts we have had, but my guess is that I would have drafted just as well as at least handful of actual NHL teams. One day I will make a comparison.

My team is the Canucks, but it makes me happy every time it seems like the Blue Jackets are finding someone by being a bit different - a bit less sheep-like.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Statistically speaking, he’s having the best 20 year-old season since Kaprizov. And he was over 0.50 PPG as a 19 year old last season so this is not a one hit wonder or production out of the ordinary range of his development.

Reminds a bit of Buchnevich in clips? Tall and lanky with silky offensive skills and a great shot. Similar production in 20 year-old KHL season. Both non-1st rounders who gradually earned their hype. Buchnevich had a great season last year, his 46 points (in 68 games) don’t do his offensive advanced stats full justice.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Considering pretty much non existing depth at LW in Columbus right now, I wouldn’t rule out that he would be in top 6 if he came over today

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Statistically speaking, he’s having the best 20 year-old season since Kaprizov. And he was over 0.50 PPG as a 19 year old last season so this is not a one hit wonder or production out of the ordinary range of his development.

Reminds a bit of Buchnevich in clips? Tall and lanky with silky offensive skills and a great shot. Similar production in 20 year-old KHL season. Both non-1st rounders who gradually earned their hype. Buchnevich had a great season last year, his 46 points (in 68 games) don’t do his offensive advanced stats full justice.

Kirill Marchenko moves like Buchnevich, for sure. I'm thinking Marchenko might have more offensive IQ. His KHL stats to this point have been a bit better. I don't know if Buchnevich didn't get as much opportunity when he was traded to SKA, he scored much less for them than Marchenko has. In any case, if Marchenko ends up like Buchnevich, it will be a great success for a 2nd round pick. But that's just a good top six forward, Columbus fans are really hoping for more than that.

Reactions: Byrral

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
I simply don't buy that his shot is Semin level, let alone better. Dude had one of the best wrist shots of his era.
Yep, it's a shame he was such a slacker. Playing on that team, he should have had at least one 50 goal season. To get only one 40-goal season with that shot speaks to deficiencies in effort because his skating and hockey sense were above average to very good.

Reactions: TimeZone

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Kirill Marchenko moves like Buchnevich, for sure. I'm thinking Marchenko might have more offensive IQ. His KHL stats to this point have been a bit better. I don't know if Buchnevich didn't get as much opportunity when he was traded to SKA, he scored much less for them than Marchenko has.
Marchenko gets more minutes because he gives an effort, Buchnevich was pathetic without the puck in the old days.

Reactions: majormajor

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Kirill is going to be even better than Kaprizov.
Sure thing not. Do you understand how GREAT Kaprizov is? Kaprizov was nearly a PPG 20 goal scorer in 49GP at age 19, i.e. a year younger than Marchenko is now. Marchenko had 16pts in 31GP last season.

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Sure thing not. Do you understand how GREAT Kaprizov is? Kaprizov was nearly a PPG 20 goal scorer in 49GP at age 19, i.e. a year younger than Marchenko is now. Marchenko had 16pts in 31GP last season.
Kaprizov played with better linemates and played in top-3, so it was a bit easier for him to score that much. But Kaprizov actually deserved it and was more complete player.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Kaprizov played with better linemates and played in top-3, so it was a bit easier for him to score that much. But Kaprizov actually deserved it and was more complete player.
I also don't see Marchenko to be the best player in the league as soon as in 1-2 years. That was the Kaprizov timeline. Going at 22 and further on he was undisputably the leagues best goal scorer and in a Top2 discussion with Shipachyov for best player in the league. And yes this is all corrected by teammates, teams and assignments. Obviously Gusev and Dawes had more points, but I still give Kaprizov a very clear edge on them as in overall player evaluation.

That is a very tall order and not a knock on Marchenko who of all people wasn't even considered a top prospect just a couple of years back. Marchenko is going to be just fine, but obviously at least a bit behind Kaprizov. And that is a great development curve for Marchenko and Columbus too.

GeorgeReznik1

Dec 21, 2020

Sure thing not. Do you understand how GREAT Marchenko is? Marchenko has 12 G in 30 GP in his age 20 season. Kaprizov only had 15 G in 48 GP played in his age 20 season.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Sure thing not. Do you understand how GREAT Marchenko is? Marchenko has 12 G in 30 GP in his age 20 season. Kaprizov only had 15 G in 48 GP played in his age 20 season.
It is annoying talking to people who don't even know their stats. In the season by Kaprizov you bring up he also had 23 points with 16 goals in 22 games for the senior NT. Something Marchenko is not even close to, while also playing some games for the senior NT. Kaprizov was Russia's leading goal scorer and second in scoring in the Olympics that year. Should we compare their WJC numbers too? You are not getting anywheere trying to prove the opposite of the obvious - Kaprizov was the better prospect and is going to be a better player going forward. Again, that is not a knock on Marchenko in any way as Kaprizov is one of the very few finest Russia produced recently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad