LW Kirill Marchenko (2018, 49th, CBJ)

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

This is not surprising with a young player. And if he decides some day to play in the NHL Torts will surely round out his game if he's willing to learn. What Torts can't teach him and what the CBJ need most is his offensive skill. Hope he's ready to come over once his contract is up.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
His contract makes me wonder how much he wants to come over at all. I'm very high on him other than the fact that he's guaranteed to be absent for 2 more years minimum.

Marchenko slid to the second round (No. 49 overall) in 2018 because of uncertainty about his NHL future. Most teams believed he had first-round talent.
“We probably wouldn’t have drafted him if we didn’t think he wanted to come,” Kekalainen said. “We didn’t know at that time if he wanted to come right away or take his time, but we knew he wanted to come to North America eventually.”

The Blue Jackets got an answer earlier this season. Not the ideal answer, perhaps, but at least some clarity.

Marchenko signed a two-year contract extension with the KHL, hoping he’d mature enough in Russia to make a seamless jump to the NHL, avoiding the minor leagues.
“He’s going to play two more years in the KHL,” agent Mark Gandler said, “and then he’s coming to Columbus.
“You will enjoy him in Columbus, big time.”

Blue Jackets have big plans for young Russians Kirill Marchenko, Dmitry Voronkov

Reactions: kabidjan18

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Any reports on Marchenko's start to the season?
He hasn't scored yet, I know, but how has he been playing?

I get a little annoyed that there are like 8 million posts and video reports for Podkolzin but no one discusses Marchenko, who should be a similar level prospect.

oNLy1cube

Sep 12, 2011

I get a little annoyed that there are like 8 million posts and video reports for Podkolzin but no one discusses Marchenko, who should be a similar level prospect.

It's more Podz footage but they play on the same line so you can see him play a bit. #88 in White

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Not exactly similar level prospect. He is a year older than Podkolzin which is a lot at this age. There is a reason Podkolzin was a top 10 pick and Marchenko a second half second rounder.

Other than that, their line is being sheltered for now by Bragin. Probably also due to the fact that a new coach is trying to find things that work with the vets first. So far their top players aren't exactly lighting it up. My guess is as the season progresses Bragin will settle down more for a top 6 he likes and give the young guys more ice-time as the third line.

Last edited:

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
He is the real deal. In my books anyways. Others get the hype, Marchenko actually produces.
You know, does those things that makes your team win.

stat watchers would argue that he isnt really producing tho with 0 points in 3 games now. SKA scored 6 goals today, no points from KM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->