LW Kirill Marchenko (2018, 49th, CBJ)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He has been really good lately, a very fast guy. Really difficult to stop flying that left wing. Hard to imagine he doesn't become a good 3rd liner at least.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I really like his hands since first time I saw him. He definitely should become a good KHLer at least.
Considering his tools and production in the VHL I'd he is a decent KHLer already. It's just how much above that he can punch in.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I believe that's 2 straight KHL games with a goal. He's proven he's very good at the VHL level. Now showing he's ready for the next step.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Tough bounce for CBJ, although he probably isn’t nhl ready until next year so it’s not a huge deal. MN dealt with a 3 year extension when Kaprizov was ready

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Kid is a player, I'm just not sure we'll ever see him in NA.
Why? Do you really think Columbus would take a player that high in the draft if they had any doubts about him coming over?

Not concerned about his recent extension, he needs a few more years of development and he's going to get the quality of competition + ice time necessary in the KHL. Gavrikov spent 4 seasons in Russia before finally coming over, perfectly fine with waiting on Marchenko.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Why? Do you really think Columbus would take a player that high in the draft if they had any doubts about him coming over?

Not concerned about his recent extension, he needs a few more years of development and he's going to get the quality of competition + ice time necessary in the KHL. Gavrikov spent 4 seasons in Russia before finally coming over, perfectly fine with waiting on Marchenko.
There's a difference between the time D needs and the time Fs need.

And yes I do think teams draft players without knowing what the player will think 2 or 3 or 4 years after they are drafted. Do you really think every 17 or 18 year person thinks the same things that they'll think at 21 or 22? I feel the same way about Kaprizov and a few other Russian players. There is doubt for sure, and even on your own forum in the Marchenko other CBJ fans have expressed that doubt.

The problem with "waiting a few years" is that it becomes unlikely for a 22 year old player who plays for one the best franchises in the KHL to come over and decide that he wants to play in Cleveland for 500k for a year. And do you want the team to gift him a job?

I'm not saying HE WON'T. I'm not predicting he won't. I'm saying there is doubt.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
There's a difference between the time D needs and the time Fs need.

And yes I do think teams draft players without knowing what the player will think 2 or 3 or 4 years after they are drafted. Do you really think every 17 or 18 year person thinks the same things that they'll think at 21 or 22? I feel the same way about Kaprizov and a few other Russian players. There is doubt for sure, and even on your own forum in the Marchenko other CBJ fans have expressed that doubt.

The problem with "waiting a few years" is that it becomes unlikely for a 22 year old player who plays for one the best franchises in the KHL to come over and decide that he wants to play in Cleveland for 500k for a year. And do you want the team to gift him a job?

I'm not saying HE WON'T. I'm not predicting he won't. I'm saying there is doubt.

Why would he play in Cleveland if he's ready? Jarmo had Texier and Bemstrom, two players younger than Marchenko will be when he comes over, in the starting lineup on day 1. I would expect him to have a Tarasenko or Kuznetsov like first season, maybe a bit less, and then take off in his second.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I don't know why people are so doubtful still. Who was the last Russian player to not come over? Sure like many others he probably won't come until he has a real shot at making the NHL roster but why would that be a problem.

Reactions: Leon Draisaitl

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad