LW Kasper Simontaival - Tappara, FIN JRS (2020, 66th, LAK)

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Little early to made that thread, but this guy like score. He have made 15 goals and 2 assist on 6 games on Tappara C-juniors (U16) on Finland C-SM (Finland U16 champion series) Qualification games. On same age Patrik Laine made 14 goals and 9 assist on 7 games and Eeli Tolvanen made 13 goals and 8 assist on 8 games. He played already last season 5 games on Tappara C-juniors and played some games on first line.

On summer Simontaival was on Finland 02-borns Select teams on World Select tournament. Here is a link to game were he made 4 goals against East Coast Selects Q-team(number 12): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZj_6uxUJQ4 and here is game statistics: http://www.legacyglobalsports.com/game/show/13142293?subseason=253334&referrer=2394374. On whole tournament his stats were 12 goals and 5 assist on 9 games. Finland won that tournament.
Here is some post-game interview(English). https://youtu.be/N8TXESgVj54?t=103

Eliteprospects profile here: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=397010

I havent seen him play, but stats are really good.

Reactions: Romaniemi

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
It's early as hell, but the kid has really good scoring instincts. He is bit on the shorter side though. His production definitely warrants a thread, but we shall see if his exceptional production will continue when he faces bigger, faster and stronger opponents.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Now Simontaival´s stats are on 10 games 22 goals and 11 assists. Second best have 7 goals and 16 assists.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
How does he compare to Leevi Aaltonen?

Seems to be of heavier build, might end up the same size though which would mean more physical development room for Leevi (age by age comparison).

Impossible to make sensible stat comparison, but just listing the stats: Simontaival has 33 points (22 goals) in 10 SM-liiga C Q games. Aaltonen had 25 points (13 goals) in 10 qualification games in similar scoring group.

Simontaival is the only 2002 born in the top five in scoring, and scores at more than 40% higher clip than either of his linemates (who still are the second and 6th in scoring in their qualification group). Aaltonen scored 2 points less than the higher scoring of his linemates.

Group 2 has two players with more points than Simontaival, but it seems to be the higher scoring group anyway.

It's very hard if not impossible to make predictions based on this sample size at this level. 2.2GPG pace in SM-liiga C Q at his age is still something worthy of noting as it's not something that usually happens even with the best of them (Laine managed 2GPG in seven games though).

Interesting to follow, but it's good not to forget guys like Rajala who destroyed this level (though also general level of competition has increased in Finnish junior since those days).

EDIT: I don't know about you guys but I haven't been following Rajala's career lately. He might not be such a disappointment anyway. At age 25 he looks like ready to soon make a come back to the NHL spot lights, he has the exact same GPG pace in his 12 game start to his NLA career as Matthews did (0.667 goals per game) :laugh:.

Last edited:

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Seems to be of heavier build, might end up the same size though which would mean more physical development room for Leevi (age by age comparison).

Impossible to make sensible stat comparison, but just listing the stats: Simontaival has 33 points (22 goals) in 10 SM-liiga C Q games. Aaltonen had 25 points (13 goals) in 10 qualification games in similar scoring group.

Simontaival is the only 2002 born in the top five in scoring, and scores at more than 40% higher clip than either of his linemates (who still are the second and 6th in scoring in their qualification group). Aaltonen scored 2 points less than the higher scoring of his linemates.

Group 2 has two players with more points than Simontaival, but it seems to be the higher scoring group anyway.

It's very hard if not impossible to make predictions based on this sample size at this level. 2.2GPG pace in SM-liiga C Q at his age is still something worthy of noting as it's not something that usually happens even with the best of them (Laine managed 2GPG in seven games though).

Interesting to follow, but it's good not to forget guys like Rajala who destroyed this level (though also general level of competition has increased in Finnish junior since those days).

I agree with everything you said. Good post.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
From what I've seen of Simontaival, he hasn't looked all that impressive but of course it's possible I'm missing something like him having really good positioning or hockey IQ or something. But his shot or hands or especially skating haven't really blown me away. Not that his hands are bad but yeah...

There likely is a reason for him scoring so well but I have to wonder how well it's going to translate. Oh, and I have to say that I have a very low sample size for this.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
EDIT: I don't know about you guys but I haven't been following Rajala's career lately. He might not be such a disappointment anyway. At age 25 he looks like ready to soon make a come back to the NHL spot lights, he has the exact same GPG pace in his 12 game start to his NLA career as Matthews did (0.667 goals per game) :laugh:.

Sorry off topic, but Rajala have made statistically good job on everywhere where he have been on last seasons, but somehow our national team coaches hadnt like him and we havent saw him in NT-games. Maybe Marjamäki will invite him to some games i hope so if Rajala continue playing well.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I haven't been following Rajala's career lately. He might not be such a disappointment anyway. At age 25 he looks like ready to soon make a come back to the NHL spot lights, he has the exact same GPG pace in his 12 game start to his NLA career as Matthews did (0.667 goals per game) :laugh:.

I loved him in Luleå in SHL

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Simontaival has now 28 goals and 11 assist for 14 games. Leading still his U16- league group by 5 points gap.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Simontaival has now 42 goals and 20 assist on 22 games. His gap to second on his group is now massive 19 points. On the other groups leader has 2 points more than Simontaival.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Is he seriously just 160cm? Eliteprospects lists him as 168, which is still tiny, but not quite as bad.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I've watched him a little in B-juniors and I have to say that he's been rather impressive, especially when you consider he's an undersized 15-year-old(Just turned 15, too) playing mostly vs 17- and 18-year-olds. That is, a triple underager.

Apart from his shot(The guy scored almost 2 goals per game at u-16s as an underager, after all), something that's stood out at least to me in the little I've been able to see is that he looks to be surprisingly powerful in puck battles and when it comes to protecting the puck as well. It feels like he's constantly overpowering opponents in battles which was a really surprising thing to me.

The other thing I've noticed is that he often seems to make very simple plays that don't seem technically difficult but that have very strong outcomes. This to me implies high IQ.

Here's his first two goals at the B-SM level:

https://streamable.com/uo9tp

And here's the assist(Breakaway pass):

https://streamable.com/6virw

Now he's at 2+1=3 in 4 games at this level. A decent comparison point could be Eeli Tolvanen, who had 2+4=6 in 10 games at the same level around the same age.

Last edited:

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I've watched him a little in B-juniors and I have to say that he's been rather impressive, especially when you consider he's an undersized 15-year-old(Just turned 15, too) playing mostly vs 17- and 18-year-olds. That is, a triple underager.

Apart from his shot(The guy scored almost 2 goals per game at u-16s as an underager, after all), something that's stood out at least to me in the little I've been able to see is that he looks to be surprisingly powerful in puck battles and when it comes to protecting the puck as well. It feels like he's constantly overpowering opponents in battles which was a really surprising thing to me.

The other thing I've noticed is that he often seems to make very simple plays that don't seem technically difficult but that have very strong outcomes. This to me implies high IQ.

Here's his first two goals at the B-SM level:

https://streamable.com/uo9tp

And here's the assist(Breakaway pass):

https://streamable.com/6virw

Now he's at 2+1=3 in 4 games at this level. A decent comparison point could be Eeli Tolvanen, who had 2+4=6 in 10 games at the same level around the same age.

Based on these highlights he seems to play with a long stick which helps him with his reach. Great puck protection in the first goal, kept the puck away from the defenders and kept his feet moving. Seems to have a good shot as well, quick release. Even if he never grows past 5'8 or 5'9, it's a good sign that he is able to stand his ground against bigger and older opponents at this point. Hopefully he will continue to impress, there are still countless pitfalls ahead.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Kasper Simontaival just finished the latest game with 3 (primary) assists. Now he's at 2+5=7 points in 7 games, which is quite a nice rate.

Scoring at the same league at similar ages by some highly regarded Finnish prospects:

Eeli Tolvanen 2+4=6 in 10 gp

Patrik Laine 17+9=26 in 27 gp

Jesse Puljujärvi 31+20=51 in 42gp

So at this point in time, his scoring is actually in line with pretty respectable competition.

But heck the actual points aren't even the main thing. They haven't been just coincidental points where the other guys do all the work or some flukes.

Here's a clip that first has the assist he had in the previous game and then all three assists he had this game:

http://streamable.com/pl389

So the first one's a takeaway that he turns into a 2 on 1 with a great pass for a goal. And also, his speed was something that I hadn't considered so great but I guess it's not that bad after all.

The second one has an awful camera angle with poor quality from really far away so I really have no idea what happens. I guess he takes the puck away from the defenseman. Either way, his solo effort causes the teammate to have an easy time scoring.

The third one he first gives a powerful hit which is pretty impressive considering his frame. Then he essentially wins a puck battle 1v3 and gives the puck to his teammate next to him who scores.

The fourth one is him receiving a pass in a nice attack which he turns into a breakaway with a really good pass.

What he's done so far production-wise is really impressive to me and how he's done it is even more impressive. I should take the time some day to watch another couple of full matches by him. I'm sure the points themselves are the tip of the iceberg.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Back in u-16s and some games have actually been watchable so I think that it's an excellent time for a bump.

Overall, during his time in u-18s he had 2+5=7 points in 10 games. I don't think that that's bad, and it's 1 more point than Eeli Tolvanen had in the same amount of games, who I find to be an interesting comparable.

Here are 5 of his goals in 2 of the games he's had since being back in u-16s:

https://streamable.com/o3tby

And to quote some click bait titles we all know and love: You won't believe #4!

But the breakaway he had on 3 vs 5 PK was pretty good, too. I guess that means that the coach doesn't think he's a defensive liability.

Last edited:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

Nice. His skating style looks pretty weird but seems to have good speed once he gets going. Great shot and some nice puck protection on those goals.

His stats so far from this season:

Code:
[B]Tappara U18	B-nuorten SM-sarja[/B]

10GP, 2G + 5A = [COLOR="Blue"]7 points[/COLOR] 2PM [COLOR="Red"]0.7 PPG[/COLOR]

Code:
[B]Tappara U16	C-Nuorten SM-karsintasarja[/B]

22GP, 42G + 20A = [COLOR="Blue"]62 points[/COLOR] 20PM [COLOR="Red"]2.81 PPG[/COLOR]

Code:
[B]Tappara U16	C-nuorten SM-sarja[/B]

3GP, 7G + 3A = [COLOR="Blue"]10 points[/COLOR] 6PM [COLOR="Red"]3.33 PPG[/COLOR]

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah, his skating style does seem pretty strange and I haven't considered him a very strong skater. Especially early in the season I had considered it a major weakness. However, he seems to be moving better nowadays. Hopefully he'll be able to improve upon it further. He still is quite strong on his skates and is very good at puck protection, though. And his coaches have complimented his vision while skating. And to be honest, when watching the games he gets soooo many breakaways in all kinds of situations that it's probably rather tough to call him a slow skater.

4+2=6 today which brings his total for the 4 games up to 11+5=16. And for the record, he now leads his team and is #5 in the entire league in goal-scoring despite his competition having played ~14 games.

The scouting report is pretty good. Good thing that they noted the amount of takeaways, for instance. I feel like he had more that game than the rest of the team combined.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad