LW Jonathan (aka Jack) Dugan - Providence College, NCAA (2017, 142nd, VGK)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Strange no talk of this player. Leading NCAA in scoring by a wide margin with 24 points in 10 games(next closest has 16 points). Last season in his first year with Providence he had 39 points in 41 games. Looks like he isn't afraid to put up alot of PIMS too.

Does he play a power forward type game? Skilled agitator?

What type of player is he?

If anyone has seen him play, I'd be curious to hear.

VGK really killed it in that 2017 draft getting Glass, Suzuki, Brannstrom, Hague, Elvenes, Dugan etc. Obviously a couple of them have been traded, but it is a sign of good scouting by VGK

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Strange no talk of this player. Leading NCAA in scoring by a wide margin with 24 points in 10 games(next closest has 16 points). Last season in his first year with Providence he had 39 points in 41 games. Looks like he isn't afraid to put up alot of PIMS too.

Does he play a power forward type game? Skilled agitator?

What type of player is he?

If anyone has seen him play, I'd be curious to hear.

VGK really killed it in that 2017 draft getting Glass, Suzuki, Brannstrom, Hague, Elvenes, Dugan etc. Obviously a couple of them have been traded, but it is a sign of good scouting by VGK
He models his game after the likes of Malkin, & Benn. A playmaking power forward type of player.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Ive posted about Dugan elsewhere since 17-18 season (few times), what a steal by the Knights.
I bookmarked him for my browser after the 17-18 season and followed his last season pretty closely (via highlights, clips + box score),
has really exploded this season.

Leads his team in points, assists, +/-, penalty minutes, 3rd in goals
Leads the NCAA in points, assists, 2nd highest +/- rating, (5th in +/-), 25th in penalty minutes

NCAA hockey providence college highlights - YouTube

Reactions: theslatcher

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
It's incredible that he's doing this on a line with two players who, historically, haven't been big producers.

@Vegas fans, is he supposed to go pro at the end of this season? If yes, do you think he gets NHL time?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
It's incredible that he's doing this on a line with two players who, historically, haven't been big producers.

@Vegas fans, is he supposed to go pro at the end of this season? If yes, do you think he gets NHL time?
Only thing he has said is that he wants to dominate a league before moving up, considering he is dominating NCAA, AHL/NHL play seems very likely at the end of the season. He(along with Elvenes) will probably get some NHL games right before the end of the season, to see if they're ready to play in the playoffs. With Eakin playing not so well, there could be a 3LW spot open for one of them next to Glass, & Tuch.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He absolutely should turn professional at the end of Providence's season. He's clearly ready for a bigger challenge, he's already 21 and will be 22 whenever his season ends. It would be a huge mistake for his development - given his age and current results - to return for his junior season to further dominate the same league. The only thing that would give me pause on him possibly sticking around for another season is that Providence could possibly return almost their entire team, while adding a quality freshman in Brett Berard, as the only player of note they're guaranteed to lose is their goalie Michael Lackey. That's a loss for them no doubt as none of their other goalies really have any NCAA experience, but it's not unheard for a no name, older goalie to step in and do well in the NCAA, or they could possibly add another transfer goalie like they did with Lackey. Sometimes the draw of chasing a potential title run is hard to pass up.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
He absolutely should turn professional at the end of Providence's season. He's clearly ready for a bigger challenge, he's already 21 and will be 22 whenever his season ends. It would be a huge mistake for his development - given his age and current results - to return for his junior season to further dominate the same league. The only thing that would give me pause on him possibly sticking around for another season is that Providence could possibly return almost their entire team, while adding a quality freshman in Brett Berard, as the only player of note they're guaranteed to lose is their goalie Michael Lackey. That's a loss for them no doubt as none of their other goalies really have any NCAA experience, but it's not unheard for a no name, older goalie to step in and do well in the NCAA, or they could possibly add another transfer goalie like they did with Lackey. Sometimes the draw of chasing a potential title run is hard to pass up.

I like that he wants to dominate, win it all then come kick the door down to the NHL next season.
I've been hearing that Vegas wanted him to sign the past few years.

Jacksaw Jon Dugan.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Still leading NCAA in scoring with 31 points in 15 games. Also 36 PIMS and a +15.

Stats wise it's looking good!!

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Just found out about this kid. His numbers since being drafted look really good. What's his NHL upside and what could potentially limit him at the NHL level? How is his skating?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Just found out about this kid. His numbers since being drafted look really good. What's his NHL upside and what could potentially limit him at the NHL level? How is his skating?

He looks a little bit like Tuch, maybe not as fast.

It would be nice for Vegas to have another Tuch.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
His point production does not surprise me at all. Looking at his point production elsewhere,
been scoring lots of points his entire career so far.

Crazy good pick by the Knights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad