LW Jesse Nurmi - KooKoo, FIN JRS (2023, 113th, NYI)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Jesse Nurmi at eliteprospects.com

Playing for KooKoo, Jesse Nurmi is one of the top 05-born players coming out of Finland. He says that his greatest strength is his skating and that his favorite player is Connor McDavid.

Past spring, he scored 23 points in 8 games at WSI u-14s. This season, he's scored 28 points in 18 games at CSM Q as well as 11 points in 9 games at B-SM(u18) as a u15 player. This scoring pace at BSM is extraordinarily good for his age, with only Puljujärvi having been able to score at a similar pace.

This is especially impressive, as KooKoo has terrible u-16 and u-18 teams, where he's been pretty much their only competent player. I haven't seen him play all that much, but he really impressed me with some of his passing plays in highlight reels in recent times.

Reactions: Frk It and FinPanda

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
KooKoo's junior club has a YouTube channel (Link: KooKoo Juniorit (B ja C)) with a number of its full B-juniors games, and a couple of C-juniors as well. Nurmi played in the following B-juniors games(He is the winger #65 in the jerseys with orange)

KooKoo vs Jokerit (Nurmi was 0+1)

KooKoo vs Tappara (0 pts)

KooKoo vs Assat (1+0)

Of the above opposing teams, Assat and Jokerit are the only ones in the upper half of the BSM-qualifier rankings, with Jokerit being tied for 2nd.

It's also worth noting that Nurmi is three years younger than the vast majority of the players on the ice.

Reactions: ijuka

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Made his pro debut tonight, KooKoo 4th line.
Congrats!.

First ever 2005 born player in the Sm-Liiga

1st period : 4:02 ice time, no points, 1 shot attempt
2nd period : 4:54 ice time, no points, 1 shot attempt
3rd period : 3:12 ice time, no points, no shot attempts

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Elite skater. His skating popped to me at the Hlinka. Has some puck skills also and I thought his passing wasn’t bad either.

There does seem to be a problem that for a guy who generates a lot of offense he doesn’t put up too many points, but I haven’t watched a ton of him, so that could be off.

Reactions: HockeyPond

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
I think that was just one mismatch game for sure in Kookoo U20 he is the main man star but atleast in national teams he barely ever performs or creates anything. Nurmi is dangerous player when he gets the puck and can challenge defenders with speed has good scoring upside.

Reactions: Jukurit

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
First game in Liiga for this year accomplished.
Don't know why but i'm rooting extra for this kid. Perhaps because I really do believe Finland is becoming a powerhouse and one of the absolute favorites behind Canada in a best-on-best. But I'm wishing for some speedy wingers a la Antti Pihlström to our future lower lines.
Jesse, a bit like Lambert, seemed like a super talent two or three years ago. Then he fell pretty much in my books. I hope he can bounce back and especially become a producing player and get top minutes on home soil.

I tend to believe that speedy talents are often put in the lower lines in Liiga. I hope there are some coaches that can give these talents some trust as well.
This reminds me a bit of Erik Karlsson as a talent. His weaknesses were pretty obvious but to take further steps in his development he didn't only need his obvious talent, he needed to get some trust to play to his strengths.
This is actually one of the few things I do believe the Finnish coaches are lacking in overall.
I don't wanna witness a talent like Kemell play for a d*nkey like Rautakorpi. Look how it went for the Finnish u-20 with D's like Heiskanen, Juolevi and Välimäki etc. The D-department was more stacked than ever, but it still went down the drain with players playing without any confidence and lack of trust to their own strengths.

Kapanen was the first, Leevi Aaltonen the second (not the same range perhaps), then perhaps both Tieksola and Tuomaala, and now later on I have my hopes for Lambert and Jesse Nurmi.
Of course I wan't them to develop and become better players with a bigger repertoar than Pihlström back in the days, but I do see a need for speed for Team Finland in the future. We have some great upcoming centers, or actually, they are already top notch and pretty young. But I do believe this is one area we are lacking in, intensity and speed among forwards and perhaps a bit on the D as well.
I mean our current great centers: Barkov, Aho, Lundell, Hintz and perhaps even Granlund.
Lundell isn't the fastest even if he's great, I wouldn't mind some speed on his wing in the future. Even if these names are so good that they can play with a variety of players.
But our upcoming centers then? Aatu Räty perhaps? I'm rooting for him because of his obvious talent but it's just as obvious that he lacks speed and intensity as of today.
Nikkanen could become something as well, again, not a speedster. Kotkaniemi etc.

So, I believe Jesse Nurmi, Lambert, Kiviharju, Salo, Heinola, Niemelä, Vilén, Malinen, Heimosalmi, Laaksonen( hope he finds a new franchise), Vaakanainen, perhaps even Kupari as a winger for Team Finland, Heponiemi, Ylönen and so on, are talents i'm rooting a bit extra for.

Because regarding our more big bodied talents like Huuhtanen, Nyman and others? I feel pretty secure that they can and will reach the NHL if they manage to stay healthy.
But as of today we have wingers like Rantanen and Laine, players with a whole lot of skill, talent and size.

I understand my post wasn't only about Nurmi. Some thoughts about Finnish hockey in general and a tad too long but yeah, I won't apologize.

Reactions: Lavar Ball

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad