LW James Hardie - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2020 undrafted)

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Watched him play a handful of times last season while trying to get views of Harley - funny similarity between their names, there. Can’t say he stood out much, but it seems to me my involuntary conception of him was as playing a mature game. Good to see him rack up the points. I’m sure I’ll get some more viewings later this season.

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
Haven’t been following up on him awhile but it looks like he’s picked up his play as of late. 47 points in 46 games. Probably a good bet he’s a mid-round pick.

Reactions: Dominance

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Surprised there hasn't been more talk surrounding Hardie considering he's now Top 5 among first time draft eligible OHL players in goals. He always looks like a threat to score whenever he's out on the ice although his shot selection is questionable at times. He really can rip the puck

Reactions: Tarantula

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
would love to hear @Brock thoughts on hardie. does he do anything other than score goals?

Hardie is a solid complimentary winger on a scoring line. High volume shooter (shot selection and decision making will need some refinement), but he does have a very good release. Definitely one of the better pure goal scorers available from the OHL this year. He's a competent forechecker whose physical intensity level has become more consistent over the course of the year. Very good working the half wall as an offensive option. Keeps his feet moving and is assertive with the puck. Puck skill only average. Skating only average. The type of guy who at this point relies on his center (either Schwindt or Washkurak) to gain the zone.

He has definitely had a very strong second half though and is the kind of guy that I'd have a lot of time for in that 75-100 range at the draft, along the same lines with Kingston's Zayde Wisdom (although they are different kinds of complimentary pieces).

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The eighth overall pick in the 2018 OHL Priority Selection Draft, James Hardie struggled in his rookie season with the Mississauga Steelheads. He did not get a lot of ice time and put up 15 goals and seven assists for 22 points in 62 games. Hardie also added one goal in four playoff games. He also represented Team Canada Black at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge picking up one goal and one assist for two points in five tournament games. Hardie broke out this season. He scored 34 goals and 29 assists for 63 points in 59 games played before the season was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Innisfil, Ontario native played his minor hockey in Barrie. Playing for the Barrie Colts Minor Midget AAA team, he put up 41 goals and 29 assists for 70 points in 34 games in 2017-18. He also added six goals and seven assists for 13 points in eight playoff games. Hardie also impressed at the OHL Cup, scoring three goals and five assists for eight points in five tournament games. He represented Team OMHA Black at the OGC-16 scoring two assists in four games and helping the team to a third-place finish.

Our Scouting Report is Here
https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/06/02/james-hardie-scouting-report/

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
63 points including 34 goals in the OHL, not all that undersized. Why wasn't he drafted this year? I picked him up late in a sim league and I'm curious if there is something I'm missing about him. He seems like an excellent choice to take a chance on with a later pick

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Available in last year’s draft, James Hardie was inexplicably passed over. He should get a second look this season.

The eighth overall pick in the 2018 OHL Priority Selection Draft, James Hardie struggled in his rookie season with the Mississauga Steelheads. He did not get a lot of ice time and put up 15 goals and22 points in 62 games. Hardie also added one goal in four playoff games. He also represented Team Canada Black at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge picking up one goal and two points in five games. Hardie broke out in 2019-20. He scored 34 goals and 29 assists for 63 points in 59 games played before the season was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Innisfil, Ontario native played his minor hockey in Barrie. Playing for the Barrie Colts Minor Midget AAA team, he put up 41 goals and 29 assists for 70 points in 34 games in 2017-18. He also added six goals and seven assists for 13 points in eight playoff games. Hardie also impressed at the OHL Cup, scoring three goals and five assists for eight points in five tournament games. He represented Team OMHA Black at the OGC-16 scoring two assists in four games and helping the team to a third-place finish.

2021 NHL Draft #78: James Hardie Scouting Report

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad