LW Jakob Pelletier - Moncton Wildcats, QMJHL (2019, 26th, CGY)

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think the reason people were disappointed is because we all have our favorites for the 1st round pick. My pick would have been Kaliyev, but this isn't a stupid pick. There were 10-15 guys you could have taken in that spot and not been out to lunch. My two favorites went right before we could pick. That said, I had Kaliyev and Afanaseyev ahead of Pelletier.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Sure, but It wasn't size that killed them, it was playing like ass. Plus Leason is washed. So glad they didn't take him. No kid taken after Kaako is going to make an impact in 2019-20.

I think there's a couple that could. I think Leason could, I think Dach could, there's a few others that could with a big summer too.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Jesus, thread was good until Calgary fans ruined it.

Have you not been paying attention for the last decade? Drafting for size has screwed us over continually.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Jesus, thread was good until Calgary fans ruined it.

Have you not been paying attention for the last decade? Drafting for size has screwed us over continually.

I think the bigger issue is Calgary has a weirdly defined team model. I don't think you have to draft for size, but you have to have to stick with your strategy and hope it's versatile enough to beat a wide array of other strategies. I think in their division and conference size will help, but I also think drafting a player that's 2-3 years+ away isn't necessarily the answer to todays issue either.

Pelletier is a good player, I've only seen him play 2 games this year, as I am not as familiar with QMJHL prospects but he has a great skillset. I don't see it as a bad pick in the slightest, but I see it as a bad add to the model they were working on.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I think the bigger issue is Calgary has a weirdly defined team model. I don't think you have to draft for size, but you have to have to stick with your strategy and hope it's versatile enough to beat a wide array of other strategies. I think in their division and conference size will help, but I also think drafting a player that's 2-3 years+ away isn't necessarily the answer to todays issue either.

Pelletier is a good player, I've only seen him play 2 games this year, as I am not as familiar with QMJHL prospects but he has a great skillset. I don't see it as a bad pick in the slightest, but I see it as a bad add to the model they were working on.

What model do you think that would that be? Flames have been pretty good at developing these smaller skilled players, and they thought he was the BPA at 26.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

The model or players they are looking to add through the draft is skill and hockey IQ focused. Those two attributes are first and foremost what our scouts look for in players + willingness to compete and team first mentality. This is why guys like Kalyiev or Lavioe wouldn't even be on our list, questionable character basically means you have 0% chance of getting drafted by the Flames.

So with the perimeters Treliving (and Feaster before) has implemented in our draft philosophy, he is the perfect pick for the Flames. A high skill, high IQ, team first player.

The whole truculence episode was from dumb ass Burke when he was GM for a year.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
The model or players they are looking to add through the draft is skill and hockey IQ focused. Those two attributes are first and foremost what our scouts look for in players + willingness to compete and team first mentality. This is why guys like Kalyiev or Lavioe wouldn't even be on our list, questionable character basically means you have 0% chance of getting drafted by the Flames.

So with the perimeters Treliving (and Feaster before) has implemented in our draft philosophy, he is the perfect pick for the Flames. A high skill, high IQ, team first player.

The whole truculence episode was from dumb ass Burke when he was GM for a year.

Real team models aren't that broad. That's media hyperbole; what you say in front of the camera. In reality they are much more specific and rarely spoken of; they are a team's secret sauce that eventually starts to have a familiar taste and scent. All 31 teams say they look for skill and hockey IQ. You have to dig deeper.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
At first I was like, I know nothing about this kid, so I'm not sure what to think (I didn't follow the draft at all, feels nice having a good team); after doing some reading, listening to pundits and watching some highlights and stuff; I'm very happy with this pick.

Who knows how this team will look by the time this kid's ready to compete for a spot on the roster, but I like the motor and how intense this kid is. Workers find ways to get into the show.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

You can't strategize drafting a player that's less than 2 years away.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Flames prospects don’t get enough talk. Anyone have anything else to add, and what should the expectation be for him next year in regards to his role and production perhaps?

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Flames prospects don’t get enough talk. Anyone have anything else to add, and what should the expectation be for him next year in regards to his role and production perhaps?

He’s going to be the Moncton Wildcats best player again... 1st line LW, 45 goals and 100 point pace is probably achievable. Vying for a spot on the WJC team but it might be a year too early for him there.

I’d like to see him stay healthy for a full season, he doesn’t miss a lot of games but he’s a guy that always seems to be banged up a couple times each year. It’s not an issue for me but I’d just like to see what he could do in a full year if he wasn’t always getting banged up.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
He’s going to be the Moncton Wildcats best player again... 1st line LW, 45 goals and 100 point pace is probably achievable. Vying for a spot on the WJC team but it might be a year too early for him there.

I’d like to see him stay healthy for a full season, he doesn’t miss a lot of games but he’s a guy that always seems to be banged up a couple times each year. It’s not an issue for me but I’d just like to see what he could do in a full year if he wasn’t always getting banged up.
Now that Mckenna is gone, achieving the same production as last year would be solid imo.

Reactions: Goose of Reason

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Moncton was expected to be contenders this season but they lost arguably their best player in McKenna unexpectedly, and still unsure what Khovanov will do so its tougher to predict now.

If both dont return and Moncton sells then keeping the same-ish production would be expected. If moncton gets another impact forward hes likely looking at 100+pts

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011

I read somewhere that he would be moving to centre this upcoming season. Is there any truth to that? Apparently he used to play centre, but converted to wing in the Q, but is expected to return to the centre position. I can't remember where I read that, however, or I would have shared it with you and asked if that report was legitimate or not.

Thanks for the info, however! Always nice to hear the thoughts of these prospects who actually do see them!

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I read somewhere that he would be moving to centre this upcoming season. Is there any truth to that? Apparently he used to play centre, but converted to wing in the Q, but is expected to return to the centre position. I can't remember where I read that, however, or I would have shared it with you and asked if that report was legitimate or not.

Thanks for the info, however! Always nice to hear the thoughts of these prospects who actually do see them!

Normally if this is true, I'd worry with a player of his size, but I think he has the skill level to actually thrive at the C position, even on the defensive side of things. He's very smart and has high impact skill. And we have seen smallerish middle men do well in recent years. I think when it's all said and done he'll have a similar frame and body to Point, or even Calgary forward Derek Ryan. If he does make the move, I think it's a good one for his development.

That being said, I don't know if there's a spot or need for him to go C with Khovanov there.

Reactions: Reinhart

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I kinda wonder if his path won't end up similarly to Anthony Beauvillier. A lot of similar traits and reminds me a fair bit of him as a prospect. Don't think Pelletier is quite as good a skater, but as a whole, a lot of the same attributes. Beauvillier hasn't ever really taken off like it seemed some people expected as an NHL scorer, but still a good solid player and if Pelletier can be that sort of utility piece with skill for the Flames, that'd be a pretty alright pick where they were at.

Reactions: Tube Skates

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad