LW Hunter Shinkaruk (2013, 24th, VAN; 2016 traded, CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Not sure if serious

Is serious.

Previewof2013Rankxlsx-2.jpg

Oct 18, 2011
Ok and? that's one list, why do I have to agree with others? why can't I like Lazar without being questioned?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
This guy reminds me too much of Phil Kessel.

That's the impression I got after watching him at least 5 times on different occasions.

Gonna be a dandy.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
2013 reminds me so much of 2006 which was a sick draft

Jones - Johnson (people have to remember that he was seen as the next great defenseman, and was proving that after his first NHL season)
Monahan - Toews
Shinkaruk - Kessel

and then we have Mackinnon, Lazar, Barkov, Drouin, Duclair, Erne

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Ok and? that's one list, why do I have to agree with others? why can't I like Lazar without being questioned?

To be fair, much as 2012's top 30 is debatable due to a lack of a stand-out, 2013 is so loaded that it will come down to personal/positional preference. You simply can't go wrong, much like '03.

The only major shake-up I expect to see from a list like G2P's is Pulock jumping into the top five by year's end, perhaps even knocking Monahan from his spot.

Oct 18, 2011
To be fair, much as 2012's top 30 is debatable due to a lack of a stand-out, 2013 is so loaded that it will come down to personal/positional preference. You simply can't go wrong, much like '03.

The only major shake-up I expect to see from a list like G2P's is Pulock jumping into the top five by year's end, perhaps even knocking Monahan from his spot.
Right...I just happen to think Lazar will have a huge year in 2013 and I really love his potential

ginopuck

Apr 2, 2012
It's too bad Shinkaruk's not available in this year's draft. A lot of teams could use his scoring.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
Dana Point, CA
Right...I just happen to think Lazar will have a huge year in 2013 and I really love his potential

Could see him having a monster year and going top 10. Reminds me kinda of Shane Doan. Ive heard Owen Nolan too.

It's too bad Shinkaruk's not available in this year's draft. A lot of teams could use his scoring.

How much did he play with Etem this year?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
New Tiger's captain

Good for him. I hope he has a great year.

Has he ever played centre?

Could you see him potentially playing centre someday in the NHL?

I don't know about how much he's played previously - but I'm in Ontario, so my viewings have been more limited.

His skating is strong as his puck control and passing. He has very good on ice vision. So I think if he hasn't played it a lot he could probably pick it up without too much difficulty...especially if he's already getting to the point of dominance in jr.-level play.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Love this kid, extremely high skill level and he plays pretty hard too. Seems to be the "complete package" offensively, as he's got dirty hands, a nice shot, good hockey IQ/vision, and high end skating. All he's really lacking is size, and he's not a midget either, just a bit undersized.
Has he ever played centre?

Could you see him potentially playing centre someday in the NHL?
I only saw I two Tigers games last year, and was admittedly focusing a bit more on Etem than Shinkaruk, but I seem to remember Hunter playing on the wing. I'd be curious to know the answer to this question as well, because a lot of sites list him as a centre prospect.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This guy reminds me too much of Phil Kessel.

That's the impression I got after watching him at least 5 times on different occasions.

Gonna be a dandy.

I've watched him a ton too. He does have a similar skill set to Kessel. I'd argue his shot isn't as good, but he is more competitive and well rounded than Kessel for sure. I love his game. I haven't enjoyed watching a WHLer as much since Darren Helm. I've lived in Swift Current for a year and was in Medicine Hat before. It was always a treat watching how hard the Tigers play every night.

People think Etem is the reason Shinkaruk was so successful, I'd submit that it was a very reciprocal relationship. Etem and Shinkaruk are very similar players, but Shinkaruk is two years younger. I hope the Flames land him.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Love this kid, extremely high skill level and he plays pretty hard too. Seems to be the "complete package" offensively, as he's got dirty hands, a nice shot, good hockey IQ/vision, and high end skating. All he's really lacking is size, and he's not a midget either, just a bit undersized.

I only saw I two Tigers games last year, and was admittedly focusing a bit more on Etem than Shinkaruk, but I seem to remember Hunter playing on the wing. I'd be curious to know the answer to this question as well, because a lot of sites list him as a centre prospect.

He played mostly on the wing. Center on the PP and PK, wing at even strength. The one flaw in his game is faceoffs and he lacks size even though he plays bigger. When you see him in street clothes you appreciate what he does even more, he's a really small kid, maybe 5'9" 160 pounds. I'd anticipate him on the wing in the pro ranks.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He played mostly on the wing. Center on the PP and PK, wing at even strength. The one flaw in his game is faceoffs and he lacks size even though he plays bigger. When you see him in street clothes you appreciate what he does even more, he's a really small kid, maybe 5'9" 160 pounds. I'd anticipate him on the wing in the pro ranks.
Yeah, if he's playing wing at even strength in the WHL, and is actually that small, then he does sound like more of a winger in the NHL. I didn't think he was quite that small from the couple Tigers games I saw (I would have guessed more like 5'10", 170), but that was on TV, and it's tough to judge a kid in full gear. If you've seen him off the ice and he looks that small, then I certainly believe it.

If I had to throw out a comparison, I would probably go with Briere, but again I haven't seen him that much. For those who've watched Shinkaruk more, do you feel that's a decent comparison?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yeah, if he's playing wing at even strength in the WHL, and is actually that small, then he does sound like more of a winger in the NHL. I didn't think he was quite that small from the couple Tigers games I saw (I would have guessed more like 5'10", 170), but that was on TV, and it's tough to judge a kid in full gear. If you've seen him off the ice and he looks that small, then I certainly believe it.

If I had to throw out a comparison, I would probably go with Briere, but again I haven't seen him that much. For those who've watched Shinkaruk more, do you feel that's a decent comparison?

Briere is a fair comparison. I think Shinkaruk has less hockey IQ and vision and more speed and competitiveness though. But I think he has that type of upside. Not to say either player is bad at any of those things. I'd actually compare his game most to Theo Fleury. He's not quite as skilled and tough, but he's a much healthier person and has more speed.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
David Burstyn ‏@DavidBurstyn
Through 2 weeks of WHL action, Shinkaruk has factored in on over 40% of the goals scored for the Tigers. Nice to see him do it w/o Etem!

Should be a top 10 pick.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
David Burstyn ‏@DavidBurstyn
Through 2 weeks of WHL action, Shinkaruk has factored in on over 40% of the goals scored for the Tigers. Nice to see him do it w/o Etem!

Should be a top 10 pick.

Good for him. Would be cool if the Ducks could nab this kid (Cooler to get Monahan, Lindholm, or Barkov though). Future second line of Palmieri-Shinkaruk-Etem would be sick. Him and Emerson already have the chemistry.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
He was absolutely amazing in that game. Could've had a 6 point night if it wasn't for Sacher who had a very decent game as well. He clearly reminded me of a better version of Matt Duchene.

I don't think Shinkaruk is close to Duchene tbh, but I could be wrong, we'll see how this year and his first couple in the show go.

BigD66

Mar 24, 2009
Red Deer, Alberta
I don't think Shinkaruk is close to Duchene tbh, but I could be wrong, we'll see how this year and his first couple in the show go.

Not that looking at stats is everything, but the two seasons Duchene had in the OHL are pretty comparable with Shinkaruk's two season's he's had in the WHL.

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2010-11 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 63 14 28 42 24 13 14 4 5 9 0
2011-12 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 66 49 42 91 38 17 8 2 9 11 6

Regular Season Playoffs
2007-08 Brampton Battalion OHL 64 30 20 50 22 -2 5 1 1 2 10
2008-09 Brampton Battalion OHL 57 31 48 79 42 32 21 14 12 26 21

Kershaw

Not that looking at stats is everything, but the two seasons Duchene had in the OHL are pretty comparable with Shinkaruk's two season's he's had in the WHL.

Regular Season Playoffs
2010-11 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 63 14 28 42 24 13 14 4 5 9 0
2011-12 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 66 49 42 91 38 17 8 2 9 11 6

Regular Season Playoffs
2007-08 Brampton Battalion OHL 64 30 20 50 22 -2 5 1 1 2 10
2008-09 Brampton Battalion OHL 57 31 48 79 42 32 21 14 12 26 21

Duchene got 2nd line minutes to Hodgson.

That skews his point totals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->