LW Grigori Denisenko (2018, 15th, FLA; claimed by VGK)

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Would you say kravtsov has 1st line upside, and what position will he likely play at NHL level?

Is denisenko a kucherov type?
Kravtsov certainly has 1st line upside. He plays RW.

I'll be honest, I don't watch Kucherov play much. I see a lot of Panarin in Denisenko's game.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
It doesn't make sense to me that it would help him on draft day. I'd think the opposite. Develop in a worse environment, therefore the percentages are lower that he'd reach his potential.

I disagree. The AHL is much more of a developmental league compared to KHL. He would be under direct supervision from whatever team selects him. The KHL being a stronger league doesn't alter his ability to reach his potential. I'd rather see him in the AHL then the KHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I disagree. The AHL is much more of a developmental league compared to KHL. He would be under direct supervision from whatever team selects him. The KHL being a stronger league doesn't alter his ability to reach his potential. I'd rather see him in the AHL then the KHL.

Where is the proof that skilled Russian forwards have developed better in the AHL?

Reactions: Fantomas

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Where is the proof that skilled Russian forwards have developed better in the AHL?

Hard to say, there isn't an extensive history of 18 yo/19 yo Russians playing in the AHL coming directly from Russia. I could pull a handful of names of players that come from Russia to play juniors then play in the AHL, but that isn't this situation. And frankly, that isn't a question you can answer as you don't know how the players would have developed in opposing leagues.

But, I'd like to hear why you think the KHL is better for them? They would likely get worse minutes in a tougher league. They would get to play on an NHL-sized ice surface and they can get direct supervision/assistance from NHL teams, if they were in the AHL.

I don't see the benefit of playing in the KHL besides it being a more skilled league.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hard to say, there isn't an extensive history of 18 yo/19 yo Russians playing in the AHL coming directly from Russia. I could pull a handful of names of players that come from Russia to play juniors then play in the AHL, but that isn't this situation. And frankly, that isn't a question you can answer as you don't know how the players would have developed in opposing leagues.

But, I'd like to hear why you think the KHL is better for them? They would likely get worse minutes in a tougher league. They would get to play on an NHL-sized ice surface and they can get direct supervision/assistance from NHL teams, if they were in the AHL.

I don't see the benefit of playing in the KHL besides it being a more skilled league.

There is like one example recently of Russian forwards developing well out of NA, Kucherov, and he only partially developed in NA. All the rest completely developed in the KHL.

I think its best for them to develop at home, develop into a top player in the second best league in the world, and then they can adjust when they are a little older and ready to play in the NHL.

Flying kids halfway across the world to a foreign culture and foreign concept of hockey isn't smart, in my opinion. If they are actually good, they'll work their way up in the KHL and eventually join the NHL. If they can't eventually break through in the KHL, they won't do so in the NHL. If they get less minutes the first season or two, so what? He's a 17 year old kid. What's the rush? Give him 3-4 years, and if he is as good as some think, he should be ready for the NHL by then.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
There is like one example recently of Russian forwards developing well out of NA, Kucherov, and he only partially developed in NA. All the rest completely developed in the KHL.

I think its best for them to develop at home, develop into a top player in the second best league in the world, and then they can adjust when they are a little older and ready to play in the NHL.

Flying kids halfway across the world to a foreign culture and foreign concept of hockey isn't smart, in my opinion. If they are actually good, they'll work their way up in the KHL and eventually join the NHL. If they can't eventually break through in the KHL, they won't do so in the NHL. If they get less minutes the first season or two, so what? He's a 17 year old kid. What's the rush? Give him 3-4 years, and if he is as good as some think, he should be ready for the NHL by then.

I thought of that after I posted. It would be hard to make that transition. Just really depends on the kid, and it wouldn't hurt to have some young fellow Russians on the team like on the Phantoms with Vorobyev and Fazleev.

Ultimately I don't think it should help/hurt his draft stock to much in either direction.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Not very convinced. Amazing skater and stickhandler. But then the shot goes into a chest protector, or a bland 10 foot pass. Do not see top 6 upside. Reminds me a bit of Hagelin.

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Anyone that watches him play consistently how has he been? I know he’s getting limited minutes but he’s producing some which is good considering his MHL production was not great. I also know he’s played a couple games in the MHL this season. Thanks guys

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
He is. 14 games in the KHL 3 goals. Will dress tonight for the 15th.
Yes, but he missed multiple games in between. He wasn't even playing down in the MHL.
Was he injured? Benched? Suspended? Would be grateful for any kind of info on his situation.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yes, but he missed multiple games in between. He wasn't even playing down in the MHL.
Was he injured? Benched? Suspended? Would be grateful for any kind of info on his situation.
Well, he was healthy scratched if you want to put it like that. Coach didn't pick him to play and they didn't want to send him down because it would have meant sending him out of the town away from the main team as Loko's MHL team was on the Baltic coast trip from October 20th.

Generally, there is much less obsession with playing every game in Russia compared to NA so probably both Denisenko himself and the team are fine with him practicing with the senior team and playing when the coach feels he's fit to. They know there is a long season ahead with Denisenko playing a lot of games in the WJC as well as the MHL playoffs, they probably don't feel he needs to play 100 games per year.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->