LW Grigori Denisenko (2018, 15th, FLA; claimed by VGK)

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Couldn't find a thread for this Russian youngster who seems to be putting up some big numbers (13/27/40 in 14 games) in the U17 Russian league. EP has him on their 2018 list. Could anyone give me some info on him? If so, thanks.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
fast, smart and skilled. a potential first rounder. i'd put him right behind svechnikov for the russian crop of that draft year. he's the player i was impressed most in the recent friendlies against finns.

KarIgo87

Rider on the Storm
May 22, 2015
Moscow
He was absolutely the best russian player in these 3 games against finns. Almost every pass was a perfect feed. Found highlights only for the 3rd game. He's #14.
He's 2000 born but plays for '99 team. And yet he was the best scorer in very strong Moscow Championship last 2 years with over 2PPG (yeah, Svechnikov had 3-4 PPG but he plays for '00 team and his region championship is weaker, his team is much much better than its opponents in Povolzhye). He's small but pretty strong for his size (thanks to years of playing with older opponents). Unlike Zhabreev (another small russian '00 offensive talent) he's not losing his scoring power with others around him growing up. I think he has a bright future. Him, Svechnikov and Khovanov can be our next Panarin, Tarasenko and Kuznetsov (but they're not Ovie and Geno).

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
He was absolutely the best russian player in these 3 games against finns. Almost every pass was a perfect feed. Found highlights only for the 3rd game. He's #14.
He's 2000 born but plays for '99 team. And yet he was the best scorer in very strong Moscow Championship last 2 years with over 2PPG (yeah, Svechnikov had 3-4 PPG but he plays for '00 team and his region championship is weaker, his team is much much better than its opponents in Povolzhye). He's small but pretty strong for his size (thanks to years of playing with older opponents). Unlike Zhabreev (another small russian '00 offensive talent) he's not losing his scoring power with others around him growing up. I think he has a bright future. Him, Svechnikov and Khovanov can be our next Panarin, Tarasenko and Kuznetsov (but they're not Ovie and Geno).
small? for what i see he's around 179-180, for his age i wouldn't call it small.

KarIgo87

Rider on the Storm
May 22, 2015
Moscow
small? for what i see he's around 179-180, for his age i wouldn't call it small.
Yeah, he's not that small as Zhabreev, I think around 178 cm (5'10'') but he's pretty light and his game is typical for small russian wingers. I agree, he probably will be of average height (around 5'11''-6'00'') and slightly lighter than NHL GMs like players to be when the draft comes, so his size likely won't be an issue.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
Saw last Loko's game and I should say Denisenko just stood out particularly considering his age. He plays hockey a lot like Panarin, but I believe he will end up slightly bigger man, around 183-184 cm. He's really fast and overall great skater with smooth hands and good head on his shoulders. More of a passer, but his shot is awesome as well. I just hope Svechnikov will think again and come back home next year, cause there are rumors about resumption of U-18 team and we will be able to see Denisenko - Khovanov - Svechnikov line.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He should stay in Russia. Come over to NA when he's NHL ready. Most of the best Russian prospects are developed in Russia.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
He should stay in Russia. Come over to NA when he's NHL ready. Most of the best Russian prospects are developed in Russia.

This is simply historically true. Breaks my heart to see guys take the CHL route.

It doesn't help them, even though I understand why some of them choose to do this. Everyone has a different situation and there isn't always a clear path to the KHL for Russian prospects.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
:shakehead

Bring in Aliya Mustafina, you're about to see the highest order of mental gymnastics...

You mean North Americans trying to deny statistics for development of russian prospects, statistics they love so much?

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
You mean North Americans trying to deny statistics for development of russian prospects, statistics they love so much?
Accusing someone of denying "statistics", climate deniers accuse climatists of ignoring "statistics" the complexity of which is massively understated when assuming a few surface level numbers are insufferably powerful. They're debating this in another thread, more capable debaters who don't just throw up arbitrary parameters, what say you and I let those truly capable of debating this topic duke it out in the proper space and we give Denisenko's thread the peace it deserves.

Now, I asked if he'd be coming over, not for anyone's opinions on how wonderful or discouraging it was that he'd be coming over. Any word on that?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Accusing someone of denying "statistics", climate deniers accuse climatists of ignoring "statistics" the complexity of which is massively understated when assuming a few surface level numbers are insufferably powerful. They're debating this in another thread, more capable debaters who don't just throw up arbitrary parameters, what say you and I let those truly capable of debating this topic duke it out in the proper space and we give Denisenko's thread the peace it deserves.

Now, I asked if he'd be coming over, not for anyone's opinions on how wonderful or discouraging it was that he'd be coming over. Any word on that?

It is a Denisenko thread. All things Denisenko can be discussed here. Also how him staying or leaving could affect his future development. I don't really care about you not understanding what statistics I was talking about, just as your attempts to elaborate over the great holy complexity. I am pretty good at statistics. I have to be. Let's leave it at that.

To know if he is coming over you'd have to talk to his parents which I don't know personally.

But can you tell me why North Americans are so obsessed with players goint to NA early?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Traditionally speaking the CHL has been a graveyard for Russian forwards. An absolute appalling development track record.

As for Denisenko, I'm not saying the CHL is a 100% death sentence, but going to NA early is such a risk. Is the risk worth taking?

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
It is a Denisenko thread. All things Denisenko can be discussed here. Also how him staying or leaving could affect his future development. I don't really care about you not understanding what statistics I was talking about, just as your attempts to elaborate over the great holy complexity. I am pretty good at statistics. I have to be. Let's leave it at that.
You're so good at statistics that you don't even need to quote any to be right and mockingly claim a closed case on what is still an open debate. I follow the whole debate, it's a two-sided debate, the fact that you don't acknowledge that is also well known. I personally save retorting and sheer scorn for decided issues. On topicality, it is a Denisenko thread up until the point that we begin to trade statistics on the history of Russian prospect development. Thus, I was asking you not to bring those specific "statistics" into this thread, and just discuss pertinent applications.

To know if he is coming over you'd have to talk to his parents which I don't know personally.
This would have sufficed.

But can you tell me why North Americans are so obsessed with players goint to NA early?
Because we love ruining Russian prospects, it's all part of our big bad plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad