LW Dominik Kubalik (2013, 191st, LAK; traded to CHI)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Just reaching out to see if there are any regular Czech league viewers who have any input on him.

Once was a promising Czech prospect who lit it up, but seemed to be just above-average in the CHL, went back to Plzen HC and really struggled his first year back, falling off our radar nearly entirely...but this year so far he's PPG in 14 games, already doubling his points and tripling his goals from last year in not even half the games!

Is he a late bloomer, or just more comfortable at home?

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I didn't see him play, but heard he plays well. He is definetely a pleasant surprise, as I gave up on him and his chances on NHL.

He was nominated to Karjala cup, you should be able to see him there.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I didn't see him play, but heard he plays well. He is definetely a pleasant surprise, as I gave up on him and his chances on NHL.

He was nominated to Karjala cup, you should be able to see him there.

Yep, tied for the club lead in scoring it seems, but no clue what he plans for the future or if he even wants to come to the NHL. Thank you very much though!

One of the Kings forum posters pointed out the Karjala Cup invite--will keep my eyes on it!

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I'm guessing KHL somewhere down the road before he tries for the NHL.

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
So what's the word on this guy? In 2015/2016 at 20 years old he finished tied for team scoring on HC Plzen, finished top 10 in league scoring, and led the league in goals (25). This year as a 21 year old he's leading his team in scoring by 13 points, has surpassed his goal total from last year with his 26th and is again leading the league in that category by a wide margin (7 more than 2nd), and is currently 6th in league scoring. He's listed at 6'1" or 6'2" and 179 - 185 lbs depending on where you look, so he has some size.

His contract ends at the end of the season. From what I've read the Kings don't have him in their future plans. Seems kind of crazy. Surely he's on the radar somewhere. Can anyone offer some insight?

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
Surprised to see his name come up and the numbers he's been putting up. He wasn't very good In his time in the OHL. Kind of one of those guys that always left you wanting more... I'm shocked he's been this good of late.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
He has more goals than the 2nd leading scorer has points.. quite impressive. Will probably get a look next year.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
He would likely make the Czech Olympic team, so it will be interesting whether he decides to chase the NHL dream or the international one. Either way I am not sold on his NHL impact. He isn't elite at anything, the way he plays is good enough for Extraliga and possibly would be so for other European league, but NHL?

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
I think it's still early for him to go to the NHL. Needs to prove he's able to deal with a tougher competiton in the KHL/international hockey as sometimes he tends to panic in tight situations and makes dumb decisions. But it needs to be said that nobody has given him a chance to prove himself yet. We'll have to wait until the Olympics.

I hope he'll handle it. Pretty fast skater with an elite snapshot release and a good one timer. But what i really like about him is the grit he plays with and his tremendous work ethic, the guy's a workhorse on the ice, always 110% effort. Not afraid of physical hockey, he often prefers body contact when battling in corners. This kind of good ol' canadian style could help him a lot on the NA rinks.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
He would likely make the Czech Olympic team, so it will be interesting whether he decides to chase the NHL dream or the international one. Either way I am not sold on his NHL impact. He isn't elite at anything, the way he plays is good enough for Extraliga and possibly would be so for other European league, but NHL?
Disagree.

He has an elite shot and is fast. Even if you think its not elite, it still NHL worthy. On top of that, why should a player posses elite skills to succeed.

That being said, he disappears in the playoffs and he wont be first or last player who tears up an European league but does nothing in the NHL.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Will play in Ambrì-Piotta now. End with 24 points and 16 goals from 20 games in Czech league.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
How does the NLA compare to the Czech league?
I don't watch NLA, so I cannot say. But from results in CHL ( which is only chance to somehow compare) it seem more or less equal. But that's just my opinion, which can be wrong.

37 others

Apr 18, 2017
Anyone know if he's planning on signing with an NHL team? I read in a news report earlier that he wanted to last year, but he wanted to honor his existing contract first.

tcat84

Sep 15, 2014
Traded to Chicago, how does this affect his NHL chances now? They seem to love guys from any league, especially if their initials are DK

Reactions: Teemu

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Traded to Chicago, how does this affect his NHL chances now? They seem to love guys from any league, especially if their initials are DK
It doesn’t really change his ‘chances’, he would be in the NHL if he really wanted to I think. Chicago thinks they can lure him over because they have Kahun and Kampf, two of his former linemates.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
I don't see why would Kubalik refuse an offer from LA. The team is bad and there could be potentially a top 6 spot up for grabs. It's also hard to believe the Kings didn't offer him the contract though, so who knows. Either way, Kubalik could be a really nice surprise for Chicago fans next year. Should be a solid 3rd liner at minimum, and could end up being a mainstay in the top 6 when it's all said and done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad