LW Denis Smirnov - Kalamazoo Wings, ECHL (2017, 156th, COL; unsigned)

Nedved Petr

David Tomasek
Oct 27, 2012
Ontario
Wow, this man has declined hard. 47 points in 39 games in 16-17, following year 27 points in 30 games, now last season he produces 22 points in 37 games. Any input?

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Better players like Barratt (very underrated NHL prospect) and other younger players like Limoges and Biro surpassed him in the lineup and on the power play.

He's an example of why I don't like when people direct attention to only stats to determine if a prospect has big potential or not.

Reactions: cgf

Nedved Petr

David Tomasek
Oct 27, 2012
Ontario
Better players like Barratt (very underrated NHL prospect) and other younger players like Limoges and Biro surpassed him in the lineup and on the power play.

He's an example of why I don't like when people direct attention to only stats to determine if a prospect has big potential or not.

Interesting. Yeah, I was never high on him, but am merely wondering what happened as he's someone on my to-watch list. Good to know about the other players passing him, thanks.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wow, this man has declined hard. 47 points in 39 games in 16-17, following year 27 points in 30 games, now last season he produces 22 points in 37 games. Any input?
He knows he's had some tough couple of years in the interviews by him. He's had some bad luck too, he got a viral infection two years ago and missed an entire month of development.

Since then he has been surpassed by other players decreasing his ice time, but he's played much better than what his numbers have said the last two seasons. His biggest problem is that he's a undersized player who is a very mediocre skater. If he wants to get to a higher level, he has to improve his skating even though the talent is there.

@Our Lady Peace is correct about what happened to him, but to discredit his stats is kind of hilarious. He was absolutely a dominant force during his freshman year and got those numbers. You can say the same thing about him now, in terms of that he's played better than what his numbers have said. Once again his problems aren't a lack of talent, it's a lack of involvement and skating (which I admit are still pretty significant).

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
He's a big reason why Penn State's offense is stupid good, because he is talented and doesn't even figure into the top six in most logical configurations of their forward group. For example they lost Aarne Talvitie halfway through the season and he was still not in that mix. Not only that but they had/have other legitimately very good scorers in that bottom six to play with him. But it's not a good look that he hasn't made himself a go-to guy for them. Back when he played U16s with Ivan provorov (and current teammate Nikita Pavlychev) he was so dangerous, he has definitely plateaued a bit

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

Was thinking the same thing. With Morrison still yet to get a contract it looks like he will have a tough time getting a deal with the Avalanche as well.

Is there still potential there or is he more likely to head to Europe to play?

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
He was already playing in the US for many years before being drafted so he seems less likely to go overseas than others.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He played in the US. He may not end up being an NHL player. Therefore I conclude that NA ruined him. Do I have it right?
I am getting told Provorov is an example of how NA perfectly develops Russians. Who is right then?

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
I happen to agree with you that by and large it is better for skilled Russian junior hockey players to stay in Russia to develop rather than choose to come over to NA as a teenager. There will always be exceptions but by and large I’m with you.

But we are talking about Smirnov here, not about the general “development in NA vs Russia” debate.

You are proclaiming that Smirnov can be used as yet another example for why developing in Russia is smarter but I don’t have nearly enough information about this player. But since you are arguing this you must have that information because otherwise why would you go down this path? That’s why I asked you about what you knew about the move to NA. Was it hockey related even? What year did he make the move? Secondly, tell me about Smirnov’s hockey path prior to moving to NA. According to elite prospects he was already playing in the US at age 14 so you must know a lot about his success as a young child in Russia. I am very interested to know how successful of a player he was at a U14 (or younger) level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->