LW Cross Hanas - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2020, 55th, DET)

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I know nothing about him other than he did this and his D-1 season numbers were pretty meh

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Cross is a big bodied goal scoring winger who had an up and down rookie year in Portland. He was generally used on the 3rd or 4th line, sometimes scratched but had a great summer at the US Hlinka camp, even though the team dissapointed in the tournament. He is now a top 6 forward for us and one of our core forwards.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Cross is a big bodied goal scoring winger who had an up and down rookie year in Portland. He was generally used on the 3rd or 4th line, sometimes scratched but had a great summer at the US Hlinka camp, even though the team dissapointed in the tournament. He is now a top 6 forward for us and one of our core forwards.

I mean I'm sure it will depend on how he performs but do you think he's gonna warrant draft consideration in 2020?

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
B rated prospect on central scouting's initial players to watch list, fair ranking to me, he should be about a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

His highlight play from the season so far:

Has 2+2 in 5 games so far

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Up to 31 points in 41 games after a slow start to the season as Alex mentioned in his write up. Has been a staple on our power play but still has only been getting middle six to bottom six minutes at even strength, but Portland is the top team in the West of the WHL so the coach is sticking to what works. I've seen him a handful of times live and on tv and while he has moments of showing off his tools, he seems to struggle to really put them all together at the same time when I've seen him. Perhaps this comes with time, he wouldnt be the first prospect to struggle with inconsistency and then figure it out. He has middle six upside if he can figure it out, if not I could realistically see him as a bottom 6 well rounded winger in the league for a long while.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I've watched 9 Portland games these last few days on Neulion, and this kid constantly impresses.

This is going to blow a people away and probably spit on this post, but I have him higher than Jarvis on my own personal list, because I think his game translates a lot more smoothly to the pro level and I can see Hanas' skillset potentially making him a very good player. For those wondering I am not as high on Jarvis as some. And the more I watch Seth, the more he drops down my lists.

Hanas is a good skater, good size, uses his body well, great hands, and one thing I always look for in prospects is likeability his teammates love this kid, he's got way more hustle than Jarvis, and like a bunch of these kids on Portland, the kid has swagger in heaps. I really like his game. He's a high 2nd rounder for me right now. But I think he has higher potential than some players I have ahead of him. People are going to get lost in the Jarvis points because of utilization, but people who are watching the games are going to see what I'm saying.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I dont know anything about him. Anyone have a scouting report? I'm reading two way player that plays physical? Sound right?

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
I dont know anything about him. Anyone have a scouting report? I'm reading two way player that plays physical? Sound right?
Portland fan here, seen him about 20 times between his 16 and 17 year old seasons. I wouldn't call him a two way player, he was very rarely if ever used on the PK or when up a goal with a couple minutes or less on the clock. He is however, a big body with good hands and I think that combination is what got him drafted so high. The problem I have with him is his decision making, especially at 5v5. He can be creative, as evidenced by the lacrosse goals, but other than that he doesn't read the play well, and as a result can often turn the puck over. I think he's a guy who developed early by being big and his dad being a coach led to stick development, but he doesn't have the toolbox to make the most of his gifts. Mentally he still thinks the game as if he's playing bantam or midget. If he can develop that, he could really shine but I am not gonna hold my breath for it. This year we had basically an open slate for who was gonna be in the top 6 forward group with Glass and Blichfeld graduating and not having much support behind them in 2018-19. Guys like Seth Jarvis and Jaydon Dereau took advantage of that, whereas Hanas would contribute some nights, but be invisible for the next couple, leading to his low point totals and typically being used on the 3rd line.

Oct 18, 2006
Portland fan here, seen him about 20 times between his 16 and 17 year old seasons. I wouldn't call him a two way player, he was very rarely if ever used on the PK or when up a goal with a couple minutes or less on the clock. He is however, a big body with good hands and I think that combination is what got him drafted so high. The problem I have with him is his decision making, especially at 5v5. He can be creative, as evidenced by the lacrosse goals, but other than that he doesn't read the play well, and as a result can often turn the puck over. I think he's a guy who developed early by being big and his dad being a coach led to stick development, but he doesn't have the toolbox to make the most of his gifts. Mentally he still thinks the game as if he's playing bantam or midget. If he can develop that, he could really shine but I am not gonna hold my breath for it. This year we had basically an open slate for who was gonna be in the top 6 forward group with Glass and Blichfeld graduating and not having much support behind them in 2018-19. Guys like Seth Jarvis and Jaydon Dereau took advantage of that, whereas Hanas would contribute some nights, but be invisible for the next couple, leading to his low point totals and typically being used on the 3rd line.
Thanks, very fair assessment. Seems like you’ve soured on him a bit since posting earlier this year. That due to his inconsistency, and perhaps not thinking the game at a very high level? Normally Detroit want high IQ guys, so it’s a bit surprising we took him if his toolbox is suspect. I rate your opinion so I’ll temper my expectations.

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Thanks, very fair assessment. Seems like you’ve soured on him a bit since posting earlier this year. That due to his inconsistency, and perhaps not thinking the game at a very high level? Normally Detroit want high IQ guys, so it’s a bit surprising we took him if his toolbox is suspect. I rate your opinion so I’ll temper my expectations.
I definitely have soured on him, he's a guy that has good size and hands and can make some stuff happen if he's part of an odd man break but at 5v5 he often becomes invisible or turns the puck over needlessly. Being the son of a former minor league pro and current coach would make me assume his hockey IQ would be better than average but it really feels like his decision making is something really holding him back. Perhaps he can work it out but the game is only going to get faster as he jumps from the WHL to pro hockey. I hope I'm wrong though, and he does break through and figure out how to best use his tools.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I definitely have soured on him, he's a guy that has good size and hands and can make some stuff happen if he's part of an odd man break but at 5v5 he often becomes invisible or turns the puck over needlessly. Being the son of a former minor league pro and current coach would make me assume his hockey IQ would be better than average but it really feels like his decision making is something really holding him back. Perhaps he can work it out but the game is only going to get faster as he jumps from the WHL to pro hockey. I hope I'm wrong though, and he does break through and figure out how to best use his tools.

Yeah, having watched him a bunch, I think he's really missing an element that could be coached - which is that part of the game where you use your linemates. I sometimes feel that he would be better off simplifying his game, playing a more bread and butter power forward game. We'll see if that comes as he gets older.

Reactions: canucklax

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
12 pts in 19 games with Lincoln in the USHL. He's one of those WHL prospects who moved to the USHL before the WHL season started. How has he looked? Stats wise I thought he would be doing alot better but they don't always tell the whole story

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
12 pts in 19 games with Lincoln in the USHL. He's one of those WHL prospects who moved to the USHL before the WHL season started. How has he looked? Stats wise I thought he would be doing alot better but they don't always tell the whole story

I haven't seen him play but noticed that he had a really slow start with 2 points in his first 10 games.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He's back with Portland in the WHL and had 2 goals last night however only has 3 pts in 5 gp. I expected him to come back to the Dub hot since he had an earlier start to his season and more time to get into hockey shape than most other WHL players . Not the type of season I was expecting from Hanas this season

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
He's back with Portland in the WHL and had 2 goals last night however only has 3 pts in 5 gp. I expected him to come back to the Dub hot since he had an earlier start to his season and more time to get into hockey shape than most other WHL players . Not the type of season I was expecting from Hanas this season
He was injured for a bit in Lincoln before he came back here to Portland so it could still be nagging him. That being said, he was over drafted imo. I thought Knak was a better prospect than him yet he went in the 2nd and Knak undrafted, but if you were only looking at their seasons you'd think it was flipped.

Coming into the end of the season with Portland it would be hard to have instant chemistry with his linemates so hes still doing alright. That being said, next season will be major for his trajectory, whether he steps up as a major piece for Portland, or gets shuffled around in what is looking like a crowded forward group for next season if any/all of Jarvis, Dureau and Newkirk come back.

Reactions: wings5

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
At least numbers wise it like he's rebounded well so far this year. Has anyone watched him this season? Does Detroit sign him this summer?

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
At least numbers-wise it like he's rebounded well so far this year. Has anyone watched him this season? Does Detroit sign him this summer?

I think Hanas really suffered from the Covid impacted year last year, like a lot of prospects - and he was really off the pace when he returned late to the WHL. He started slow this year and of late he's really started to get going. The thing about Hanas is that he has an incredible toolbox of skill, really soft hands, and is very creative, with some size and skating. But, he doesn't always put it together in a way that has an impact on a game. In one game a saw recently he was just flying, trying (and pulling off) some great moves and passes, he was also more physical than I've seen him. I think if Hanas is going to make it to the NHL he's going to have to improve along the boards, get stronger as a 200-foot player, and do less of the flashy near impossible stuff, sticking to the higher percentage play. Hanas was drafted on potential more than his performance and I think that he's still in that same phase -- he really needs to continue to improve and develop over the rest of the season and playoffs if the Red Wings are going to sign him - but he's taking the steps.

I'm really not sure if Detroit signs him - I wouldn't be surprised with either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad