LW Connor Rankin - Tri-City Americans, WHL (2013 undrafted)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I was able to watch him last night and came away very impressed.

A 16 year old making the team and even playing top minutes on a deep Tri-City team. He was very impressive and has great size at 6'0 - 185 and not even close at finishing his growth. He drives to the net hard and is hard to get pushed off the puck, also he has fantastic hockey sense and all of this comes as a rookie.

Is he eligible for the 2013 or 2014 draft? And where do you guys seem him going?

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Correction, he is 185 and not 195. My mistake, but still great size for a 16 year old nonetheless.

He might have a few inches in height left in him, by the time his draft comes around he could be 6'2 and close to 200 lbs.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Has had a amazing start with more roles at Tri-City. 4 goals and 5 points in his first 2 games. I see a bit of Chris Stewart scoring in him.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Connor Rankin

Tell me about this kid. I just recently moved away from the Tri-Cities but I saw him play a couple of times last year and came away impressed. I was back in town when the Ams played Kelowna where he had two goals, and he looked amazing. Him and Hughesman have some serious chemistry and they were clicking all night.

I think I read somewhere that he projects as a power forward, but the times I've seen him that just doesn't seem right. Just from the short stints I've watched he will throw the body but hes not tough or overly physical. Anyways where does he project to go in the draft? What type of player is he, etc...

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Big fan of Connor Rankin as well; in fact, was just having a scouting discussion on him the other day.

Decent size, excellent skillset. 44 points as a 16 year old in the WHL is nothing to sneeze at, and he's already got 10 points in 7 games this year. He has good hands, is solid around the net, and makes great passes and reads. I think he's going to be a very high draft pick in 2013 ... along with Hunter Shinkaruk and Alex Forsberg, we could see three WHLers right near the top of the draft.

DangerMan

@danlizee
Jun 4, 2007
Edmonton
whlthoughts.blogspot.com
Solid writeup. Rankin is a player I have yet to see from the 2013 group. He doesn't come to these parts until late January. I hope to see him before then. The numbers he's putting up are undeniably impressive. The WHL 2013 group is becoming pretty amazing.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Solid writeup. Rankin is a player I have yet to see from the 2013 group. He doesn't come to these parts until late January. I hope to see him before then. The numbers he's putting up are undeniably impressive. The WHL 2013 group is becoming pretty amazing.

Absolutely, a lot to be excited about for sure.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Can't believe this kid has two more years til he is draft eligible. I bet he will put up a 100 point season next year

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Still haven't seen him yet. He's on my short list of guys I need to watch still this year.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
What happened to Connor Rankin?

This guy had a really good season as a 16-year-old. I remember people comparing him to Hunter Shinkaruk as they were both late 94 forwards playing in the WHL. Fast forward two years and the talk on Rankin has pretty much died. What happened to this guy?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The kid has good talent, but he doesn't create enough scoring opportunities for himself. He relies way too much for his linemates to do all the work for him, which is why his point production hasn't developed since rookie season. Not all is bad because he has an amazing shot, goes to the net hard, decent frame but not a physical player, and gets to the open prime areas for scoring. He reminds me a lot of Ryan Malone with less physicality, but a better skater.

That said he still has talent and majority of the season to overcome and start producing more, though as of now he definitely has had to slip out of the 1st round and is looking more like a top 20 second rounder.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Hard to say. He's a good player but he really is hit or miss in my viewings. Some night's he's the best player on the ice. Other night's he's invisible. Has the skill to take over a game but just doesn't do positive things regularly enough.

Still think he'll be a top 5 round pick because of his skill but he might be a guy that peaked early.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Why didn't this guy get drafted? Not bad stats (33 goals, 63 points in 76 games) and isn't small either at 6'0 and 195 lbs. The only bad thing I guess is that his stats haven't improved a whole lot since his first season. I still would have taken a chance on him with a late round pick.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I honestly think scouts don't get out to Tri much and I also think that they are known for drafting players that excel in junior but not necessarily pro. Look at their list of players just from the past 3 or 4 years that put up good points and are great WHL players but maybe don't have pro attributes - Shinimin, Feser, Holland, Hughesmann, Reddick, Lazo.

Fair or not players from there come out with a bit of a stigma IMO.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Why didn't this guy get drafted? Not bad stats (33 goals, 63 points in 76 games) and isn't small either at 6'0 and 195 lbs. The only bad thing I guess is that his stats haven't improved a whole lot since his first season. I still would have taken a chance on him with a late round pick.

He started the season off very, very slow. He went from a 2nd/3rd rounder on my list to a 6th rounder of a course of 90% of the season, but then something clicked and he was a freakin beast the last month(s) of the season. My complaint is he doesn't create enough offense for himself, he rely's on others to make and create offense for him. But with that said he still has a very good shot, hard to be pushed off the puck, and goes to the dirty areas. Does he have enought talent to warrant a late selection? Absolutely, though I am still not surprised he wasn't drafted.

I think he was invited to a rookie camp from one of the Eastern teams, but don't really know.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I was personally surprised that he went undrafted. I had him at 24th overall on my WHL board and he was my 2nd highest WHL F who went unpicked, behind Jamal Watson. I had him ranked as a 4th rounder, but figured he'd go in the 6th or 7th.

He may not be flashy, but he's a solid player. Very smart, good positionally, a good two-way player with some skill and leadership.

He'll definitely be a guy that plays pro hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad