LW Carter Savoie - Sherwood Park Crusaders, AJHL (2020, 100th, EDM)

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
There's been a lot of threads about Matthew Savoie being the next possible prodigy in the pipeline but everyone has overlooked his older brother, Carter Savoie. Carter is torching the AJHL as a 16 year old and is leading the 8th ranked Canadian Jr. A Sherwood Park Crusaders in scoring. He is committed to University of Denver for the 2020-21 season.

EP: Carter Savoie at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I know it's early, but he is having quite the start to the season in AJHL. He's currently got 9+8 in 7 games for a point per game of 2.43. The best U-18 season since 2000 was Jared Murdyk who had 102 points in 60 games and the best season by point per game belongs to fellow 2020 draftee Dylan Holloway who had a point per game of 1.66 in 53 games. If Savoie can continue scoring it seems like he'll have a season comparable to that of Dany Healtey and Mike Comrie and should be in discussion to be a top 20 pick come June.

I should add that it seems as though he's playing with two overage players that are also tearing up the league, both have p/gp above 2. That being said, his production in his U-17 season leads me to think that he is likely not just a passenger on the team.

Last edited:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Seems like he's going to be a good player, be interesting to see where he gets drafted to and at what # in the 2020 draft.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Seems like he's going to be a good player, be interesting to see where he gets drafted to and at what # in the 2020 draft.

His team is absolutely stacked. They just dominate play against most teams. Brooks is on a similar level. His production is likely going to be insane could easily be a top line player in the Dub if he was there. Real high end player in all offensive areas, great motor, always trying to get the puck back. Great release. Not overly physical and on the smaller side but should be up there with the other smaller guys in the draft.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Could Brooks or SP as constituted this season actually be competitive outfits in the WHL or do they still lack the overall depth of WHL teams?

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
I think this is a gross over statement.
A lot of talented kids are choosing the NCAA route and thus the junior A talent pool is much better than it was 15 years ago imo. I don't have any stats, but I go to a lot of games and the level is higher than it has ever been.

Edit: I should clarify, I'm not saying the AJHL or BCHL is on par with the WHL. I am arguing that the top teams from Junior A would be competitive against the worst teams from major junior.

Last edited:

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
A lot of talented kids are choosing the NCAA route and thus the junior A talent pool is much better than it was 15 years ago imo. I don't have any stats, but I go to a lot of games and the level is higher than it has ever been.

Edit: I should clarify, I'm not saying the AJHL or BCHL is on par with the WHL. I am arguing that the top teams from Junior A would be competitive against the worst teams from major junior.
I watch the occasional AJHL and BCHL game online, I hardly watch any major junior, but I'm always impressed with those upper-echelon teams, especially in the years where they are super loaded and get crazy streaks like Brooks or Penticton a few years back. I agree they are top-to-bottom much weaker than the WHL but the WHL draws from a number of provinces and has priority generally. The top teams are pretty good.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Perhaps but there is a huge drop off in talent after the top guys in the BCJHL and the AJHL compared to even the WHL's worst teams.

Take PG forward Ethan Brown who 2 years ago as a 16 year old scored a 9-3-2-5 line as a 16 year old in the AJHL and is a non factor as an 18 year old this year for PG through 5 games in the WHL.

Even a team like Carter's Sherwood Park only has at most a handfull of players that could hold their own in the WHL.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
way too much talent out there to be drafting from jr A
yes it happens but level of competition not even close to CHL
or college hockey

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
way too much talent out there to be drafting from jr A
yes it happens but level of competition not even close to CHL
or college hockey

There are some great players that have come from Junior A hockey. Jamie Benn, Kyle Turris, Andrew Cogliano, Keith Seabrook, Reilly Smith, Colton Parayko, Cale Makar, Tyson Jost, Dante Fabbro, Alex Newhook, Jacob Bernard-Docker, Jonathan Tychonick..

The majority of these kids go on to play in the NCAA and some even dominate there. So to say the level of talent isn't even close to the NCAA just shows a level of ignorance. Sure the overall talent isn't close but the CJHL can produce elite talent all the same as the other leagues.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Perhaps but there is a huge drop off in talent after the top guys in the BCJHL and the AJHL compared to even the WHL's worst teams.

Take PG forward Ethan Brown who 2 years ago as a 16 year old scored a 9-3-2-5 line as a 16 year old in the AJHL and is a non factor as an 18 year old this year for PG through 5 games in the WHL.

Even a team like Carter's Sherwood Park only has at most a handfull of players that could hold their own in the WHL.

Yeah the overall level of play is definitely inferior. In a one off game I guarantee some AJHL and BCHL teams could beat some low level CHL teams and heck maybe even get lucky with some solid play by top lines and hot goaltending to win. They'd likely get blown out of the water in a 7 game series though.

Most of the best CJHL players are off to the NCAA after being drafted so there are really really low level 19 and 20 years old there that couldn't crack CHL teams. Whereas most of the best CHL players tend to be the 19 and 20 year olds who are stuck there until they can turn pro.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
There are some great players that have come from Junior A hockey. Jamie Benn, Kyle Turris, Andrew Cogliano, Keith Seabrook, Reilly Smith, Colton Parayko, Cale Makar, Tyson Jost, Dante Fabbro, Alex Newhook, Jacob Bernard-Docker, Jonathan Tychonick..

The majority of these kids go on to play in the NCAA and some even dominate there. So to say the level of talent isn't even close to the NCAA just shows a level of ignorance. Sure the overall talent isn't close but the CJHL can produce elite talent all the same as the other leagues.

not saying there is not good talent out of jr A

and No jr A is Not even close to NCAA D1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->