LW Carter Mazur - University of Denver, NCAA (2021, 70th, DET)

eulatron

Jun 24, 2019
Didn't find a thread on him so here we go. Drafted as an over ager in the 2021 draft, he has 8 goals and 14pts in 14 games played at the University of Denver.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
A lot of Red Wings fans threw a pretty embarrassing little fit when we drafted Mazur in the third round this summer. He still has a long road to the NHL, but initials returns suggest there's a bit more offense than he was given credit for.

USAH could go in a few directions to round out its bottom six this WJC, but I certainly don't think Mazur would be a poor choice.

Reactions: r0bert8841

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
A lot of Red Wings fans threw a pretty embarrassing little fit when we drafted Mazur in the third round this summer. He still has a long road to the NHL, but initials returns suggest there's a bit more offense than he was given credit for.

USAH could go in a few directions to round out its bottom six this WJC, but I certainly don't think Mazur would be a poor choice.

Mazur has a bit of scrpapiness to him that USA hockey seems to love taking to international tournaments. Hes never really been on their radar before though so I'm not sure if he'll make the team or not

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

I never understood why armchair GMs throw fits on late 2nd and later rounds. I can understand having strong feelings about a 1st round draft. But after that, players selected is luck more than anything. I can only think they get attached to a last name on the jersey or maybe just like their hair style. Can't be for anything else.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I never understood why armchair GMs throw fits on late 2nd and later rounds. I can understand having strong feelings about a 1st round draft. But after that, players selected is luck more than anything. I can only think they get attached to a last name on the jersey or maybe just like their hair style. Can't be for anything else.

Imagine sitting on an internet forum having a tantrum about a pick as late as a third rounder that Yzerman thinks is worth making. As if people on here know better, and there were serious tantrums thrown too

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Imagine sitting on an internet forum having a tantrum about a pick as late as a third rounder that Yzerman thinks is worth making. As if people on here know better, and there were serious tantrums thrown too

I couldn't imagine! But thank god Stevie Co. having professional scouts who travel to watch all these kids play Thank god for the intense interviews pre-draft and the countless hours of board meetings with the best hockey minds in the world making decisions.

It is fun to watch the tantrums, not gonna lie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Mazur has a bit of scrpapiness to him that USA hockey seems to love taking to international tournaments. Hes never really been on their radar before though so I'm not sure if he'll make the team or not

Yeah, he is definitely the type of player that coaches really love. It seems like he is always in on the play and around the puck. I am not sure he makes the final roster but he has shown really well this season.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Not a Wings fan, but could that be because of the team's awful track record in drafting out of U.S junior leagues in recent years?

In the previous 5 drafts:

Robert Mastrosimone (2nd)
Sam Stange (3rd)
Kasper Kotkansalo (3rd)
Keith Petruzelli (3rd)
Ryan O'Reilly (4th)
Ethan Phillips (4th)
Cooper Moore (5th)
Jack Adams (6th)
Kyle Aucoin (6th)
Chase Bradley (7th)

It's early but will they even have a single NHLer from that group?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Not a Wings fan, but could that be because of the team's awful track record in drafting out of U.S junior leagues in recent years?

Sam Stange (3rd)
Kasper Kotkansalo (3rd)
Keith Petruzelli (3rd)
Ryan O'Reilly (4th)
Ethan Phillips (4th)
Cooper Moore (5th)
Jack Adams (6th)
Kyle Aucoin (6th)
Chase Bradley (7th)

What's the statistical likelihood of mostly lower round draft picks turning into NHLers?

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Sam Stange (3rd)
Kasper Kotkansalo (3rd)
Keith Petruzelli (3rd)
Ryan O'Reilly (4th)
Ethan Phillips (4th)
Cooper Moore (5th)
Jack Adams (6th)
Kyle Aucoin (6th)
Chase Bradley (7th)

Who knows? Youre trying to judge guys drafted 2 years ago in the 5th, 6th and 7th round in some cases. Obviously no one can tell if theres NHLers in that group or not yet.

I would bet at least one of those guys make the NHL in some capacity for the record. And I also think Yzerman has earned more benefit of the doubt when it comes to later round drafting as well than some of those Holland picks

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
One of my favorite players to watch for Team USA so far. He has the tools you’d want in a solid prospect. Good compete level, goes to the hard areas, is physical, and puts himself into good positions in the offensive zone. He’s a great complimentary player. Reminds me a bit of Pascal Dupuis.

I think he has more of a mean streak than Dupuis but thats a decent comparison I havent heard before. Hes actually got a lot of Bertuzzi in his game, mix of skill and toughness is there.

He should terrorise college hockey this year

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He has a lot of Tyler Bertuzzi in him. Just has that puck radar.

They both seem to come out of the corner with the puck anytime theyre in there. I think bertuzzi might have the heaviest stick in the league for winning loose pucks (hes that good), but Mazur definitely has that knack as well.

Both guys had late growth spurts too and were like 5'9 a year before they got drafted so the build will come a bit later for Mazur just like it did for Bertuzzi

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He was really good at the world juniors, definition of late bloomer. I think hes gonna have a year that shoots him up prospect rankings, hes a Bertuzzi type. The similarities in their game are huge and so are their late growth spurts turning them into legit NHL prospects who can play the physical game at the next level.

Hobey Baker watch

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad