LW/C Jonathan Dahlen (2016, 42nd, OTT; traded to VAN; traded to SJS)

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
what exactly are you talking about?

Baertschi > 2nd round pick
Dahlen > Burrows
Granlund > Shinkaruk
Goldobin, Palmu > Hansen
Brandon Leipsic > Philip Holm

He has won a fair share of trades.

If we traded Baertschi today he wouldn’t garner more than a 2nd. That’s not a win, that’s a draw.

Goldobin isn’t a win yet. Hansen had a tough year but his value is well above a fringe NHLer which is all the 22 y/o Goldobin is so far.

Granlund is too marginal a player to matter as a “win”. We turned a guy who might have been an NHLer but didn’t turn out for a guy who didn’t look like an NHLer for much of the past season.

Leipsic is tbd but may get there.

Still only see the one “win” so far.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
Think you forgot bieksa for 2nd
Garrison for 2nd

he couldve gotten a better 2nd I think from sj. I forgot what happened but pretty sure it was his fault

didnt he trade that 2nd from garrison trade(who was a top 4 d) for linden vey

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Think you forgot bieksa for 2nd
Garrison for 2nd

those picks were flipped later on in other trades grudge holding Nuck fans didn't like.

the 2nd was traded for Linden vey, and the 2nd from the Bieksa trade was included in the Sutter Bonino trade.

Reactions: Huntcliff

lawrence

May 19, 2012
he couldve gotten a better 2nd I think from sj. I forgot what happened but pretty sure it was his fault

didnt he trade that 2nd from garrison trade(who was a top 4 d) for linden vey

he attempted to get a 1st from the Sharks but failed.

you might as well blame him that the Sedins are retiring.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
For every 5posts about dahlen we get 2pages of benning/dorion. How many times does the horse need to be beat? It was a bad trade everyone knows that, no need to rehash it every time he gets a point

People around these parts can't seem to find any new meaningful discussion on some topics it seems.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
If we traded Baertschi today he wouldn’t garner more than a 2nd. That’s not a win, that’s a draw.

Goldobin isn’t a win yet. Hansen had a tough year but his value is well above a fringe NHLer which is all the 22 y/o Goldobin is so far.

Granlund is too marginal a player to matter as a “win”. We turned a guy who might have been an NHLer but didn’t turn out for a guy who didn’t look like an NHLer for much of the past season.

Leipsic is tbd but may get there.

Still only see the one “win” so far.

You shouldn't judge trades based purely on hindsight, but rather the value of each asset at the time of the trade. Otherwise, you're holding a GM to an unrealistic standard. I thought the Baertschi trade was a decent move at the time. This hindsight issue also applies to the Hansen-Goldobin deal. Hansen had a lot of value at the time he was dealt, and likely could have returned a pretty good draft pick (maybe a late 1st). I feel like Benning opted to go for a prospect to try to cut down the rebuild time instead of drafting a player and waiting for them to develop. Wasn't the smartest move IMO.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You shouldn't judge trades based purely on hindsight, but rather the value of each asset at the time of the trade. Otherwise, you're holding a GM to an unrealistic standard. I thought the Baertschi trade was a decent move at the time. This hindsight issue also applies to the Hansen-Goldobin deal. Hansen had a lot of value at the time he was dealt, and likely could have returned a pretty good draft pick (maybe a late 1st). I feel like Benning opted to go for a prospect to try to cut down the rebuild time instead of drafting a player and waiting for them to develop. Wasn't the smartest move IMO.

I completely agree but how exactly would you value the Baertschi trade (assuming this is the one you mean since it was bolded)? Was he “worth” a 2nd at the time? Apparently we offered the most by a wide margin according to Treliving, so I’m not sure how to value that trade other than to see if Baertschi is worth anymore today now that he’s “made it”.

On a Dahlen related note (since it’s an off day but the whiners are whining), he’s easily Benning’s best looking deal and nothing else is remotely close. For once he targeted an 18 year old early on in his development rather than a 22-23 year old that another team is ready to move on from. Go figure.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
First star in his second AHL game. Hope he keeps it up. A real wild card this Dahlen guy is.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
What Bratt did last season was a total surprise, unlikely anyone could of predicted that.

Dahlén is the better of these, is he not? So the question is; could he do what Bratt did
or can he do even better what Bratt did?.

Has a strong camp, is in the line up from the get go, gets some PP time,
BTW. Anyone think he haves what it takes to play in the NHL from day 1?
- or is he already a line up "lock"

35 points, 40 points?, 45 points?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
If he could do it, I would be shocked. If he could do it while facing the QoC that Bratt did, I would be very impressed.

I think he is capable, but it's a stretch.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Hard to tell at this point but it looks to me like the plan is for him to start in the AHL.

Canucks currently have 11 players on 1-way deals:
1) Eriksson
2) Horvat
3) Sutter
4) Baertschi
5) Gagner
6) Roussel
7) Beagle
8) Dorsett*
9) Schaller
10) Granlund
11) Virtanen

* Dorsett will obviously not on the opening night roster, so that leaves two spots - unless one of the above guys is waived. Gagner could potentially be waived... maybe Granlund, too. The other guys, I presume, are safe.

Boeser, of course, is a lock. That leaves, let's say, 2-4 spots available on the roster for Leipsic, Goldobin, Gaunce (all must past through waivers), Gaudette, Pettersson, Dahlen, and MacEwen.

Leipsic is pretty much a lock to make it, imo, and Pettersson is ahead of all the other prospects... so I'd guess that Dahlen probably starts in the AHL and comes up to the NHL around New Year. I'll guess he posts ~15-25 points in ~40-55 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad