LW/C Jonathan Dahlen (2016, 42nd, OTT; traded to VAN; traded to SJS)

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I think that's bananas Logan Brown is so good, it's crazy. The guy is going to be a offensive top 6 center in the NHL for a long time.

His progression doesn't really scream offensive top 6 centre. If he is a top 6 forward then so is Virtanen.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
No fanbase hypes their prospects up as much as Vancouver.

It's especially laughable when you consider almost every single one of their highly touted prospects in the last decade has failed miserably to live up to even their more rational fans' expectations.

Really? I mean we have a few posters who run to this forum every time a prospect does something good and unfortunately they are volume posters and seem to annoy everyone else on here when they do this and start these battles, but most of us are very skeptical of all our prospects given how many have not panned out as you point out in your last post. If you look at the juolevi thread you see a few bragging but you also see some of our fans (and perhaps you cant tell based on there name or avatar) who are canucks fans who are harder on him then even neutral fans.

I know your a sens fan so your probably more emotional about this trade but lets not exaggerate our entire fanbase because of a few posters who post alot in here. WTG for instance is a Vancouver fan...

Reactions: Canucks777

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really? I mean we have a few posters who run to this forum every time a prospect does something good and unfortunately they are volume posters and seem to annoy everyone else on here when they do this and start these battles, but most of us are very skeptical of all our prospects given how many have not panned out as you point out in your last post. If you look at the juolevi thread you see a few bragging but you also see some of our fans (and perhaps you cant tell based on there name or avatar) who are canucks fans who are harder on him then even neutral fans.

I know your a sens fan so your probably more emotional about this trade but lets not exaggerate our entire fanbase because of a few posters who post alot in here. WTG for instance is a Vancouver fan...

It's always wise to exhibit lots of caution with prospects who get moved at the trade deadline.....and that certainly goes for both Dahlen and Goldobin.

Obviously the teams which drafted them--in this case the Sens and Sharks--have had a couple of seasons to assess them at development camps; prospect tournaments and in their respective leagues. If they feel they could afford to part with them, it's either because there are some red flags in their games, or they've been surpassed by other prospects on the depth chart.

Both these guys could work out in VanCity.....but the best approach is 'wait and see' before getting too excited.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
Players that take a step back in their draft+1 year are historically less likely to become effective NHLers. I'd be worried about Brown's production.

Last edited:

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
whats your proof? Does this factor in players who suffered injuries?

The proof would be a lot to write up in a post on here but if you look back at past drafts look at the players who busted, good shot that player had a reduction in production in their draft+1 season.

Obviously this isn't certain or anything, Brown could easily turn into a Top 6 forward, however the production is concerning when you look back at past patterns.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I really think a lot of people here overrate Dahlen. I know he's an exciting prospect with his style of play, but the likelihood of him securing a top 6 role in the NHL is still pretty slim. His style is not suited for the bottom 6 so that's where he is going to have to end up.

Wish him all the best though.

For those saying he is the same tier of prospect as Logan Brown - lol. Not even close.

While Brown may be a boom or bust prospect (Dahlen is too), Brown's ceiling is far, far higher.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I really think a lot of people here overrate Dahlen. I know he's an exciting prospect with his style of play, but the likelihood of him securing a top 6 role in the NHL is still pretty slim. His style is not suited for the bottom 6 so that's where he is going to have to end up.

For those saying he is the same tier of prospect as Logan Brown - lol. Not even close.

While Brown may be a boom or bust prospect (Dahlen is too), Brown's ceiling is far, far higher.

Are you making this assessment primarily because of their size? Because other than size, Dahlen has been the better prospect with a higher end skill set and better production.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Only if you are stuck in the idea that it's not good to score goals on your 3rd line and instead it's better to have stiffs out there.

Luckily, a lot of teams are moving away from that outdated philosophy.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC

I called Logan Brown to bust even prior to the draft. He's made my prediction look even easier than I imagined. No way I put him ahead of Dahlen right now. Brown has not progressed at all as a prospect, Dahlen has.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I called Logan Brown to bust even prior to the draft. He's made my prediction look even easier than I imagined. No way I put him ahead of Dahlen right now. Brown has not progressed at all as a prospect, Dahlen has.

You called him to bust after his incredible second half of his 17 year old season? Wow you're smart. He was hurt all year last year, talent is not the issue its his work ethic and drive thus far.

As for Dahlen he looks very promising, was very upset about the trade as a sens fan. But he is not the better prospect than Brown.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Agree with the others. Logan Browns regression this past year definitely is a concern. That said if he can get back on track he could be a very good and unique player.
Still can't believe that we got Dahlen for Burrows though even though I know there's no guarantees with prospects.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You called him to bust after his incredible second half of his 17 year old season? Wow you're smart. He was hurt all year last year, talent is not the issue its his work ethic and drive thus far.

As for Dahlen he looks very promising, was very upset about the trade as a sens fan. But he is not the better prospect than Brown.

He might be a better prospect than Pettersson though? At least if he could be better than Brown ,, the chance is there.

Brown was injured off and on all year on a team driving for the Mem cup. You cannot compare two different prospects when talking about Dahlen and Brown,,

Regardless of what they did last year , they are both prospects... One has 1C potential,,, the other 2-3 wing potential. Will they get there we will see,

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He might be a better prospect than Pettersson though? At least if he could be better than Brown ,, the chance is there.

Brown was injured off and on all year on a team driving for the Mem cup. You cannot compare two different prospects when talking about Dahlen and Brown,,

Regardless of what they did last year , they are both prospects... One has 1C potential,,, the other 2-3 wing potential. Will they get there we will see,

Word out of vancity he's looked better then Peterson.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Dahlen looks AHL/NHL ready already . I cant quite put my finger on a stylistic comparable NHL player tho.

Im verrry verry pleased w. The burrows for dahlen trade eventhough im a huge Burrows fan

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Dahlen looks AHL/NHL ready already . I cant quite put my finger on a stylistic comparable NHL player tho.

Im verrry verry pleased w. The burrows for dahlen trade eventhough im a huge Burrows fan

Maybe Marner? I kind of get the same feeling of a player that loves to play hockey.

kooner91

Apr 13, 2014
Maybe Marner? I kind of get the same feeling of a player that loves to play hockey.

His playstyle honestly reminds me of Markus Naslund or Phil Kessel without the skating ability. Probably won't get to Kessel's level, and much less likely to get to Naslund's, but exciting prospect for us, nonetheless.

Good hard, accurate shot, underrated playmaking ability, with high offensive IQ.

If he and Boeser both progress properly as advertised, we may have 2 high end goal scorers on the team for the future which helps out a lot.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Dahlen has been the most impressive person at the Canucks camp, more so than Boeser, Pettersson, and Juolevi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->