LW Arthur Kaliyev (2019, 33rd, LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Honest question: have you actually seen him play, outside of highlight reels?

I am by no means an expert, nor do I claim to have seen an extensive amount of him in the OHL. But there are real red flags with this guy that other prospects don’t have. Why do you think literally (as far as I know) every actual scout rankings has him outside of the top-10 despite his outstanding production? He’s a poor skater who regularly makes plays that make you question his IQ, struggles with consistency, and is often a detriment to his team when he doesn’t have the puck. @93LEAFS has called him or quoted someone else as describing him as Owen Tippett with severely worse skating, I believe. If that’s accurate, Kaliyev is by no means a player a team picking in the top-5 should be looking at in a forward-heavy draft.
Yes I’ve have seen him play, and I address that he does in fact have weaknesses, but I really like the strengths to his game, the 3 main points.
you basically just explained you havent watched him play other than his highlight packages

ok
ok? Assuming I just watch highlights cool cool.
You've only watched him on highlight reels?

zGHQb4O.gif
Don’t remember saying that, I just included highlights to show off some of his best stuff.
I don’t mean to be that guy, but it’s almost impossible to scout off of highlight reels. You don’t see the player at their worst and making bad plays most of the time. One of the worst parts of his game is how he tends to disappear and make low IQ plays at times, which you frankly just aren’t going to see. He may not look like a bad skater in the CHL but throw him in the AHL right now and his production would fall off a cliff.
I don’t just scout off highlight reels so yeah. Also, I do see his negatives to his game. I just see a lot of potential in his strengths.

I could easily be 100% wrong, but I like Kaliyev and nothing is changing that. I stand by my opinion, and that’s fine if y’all disagree with me, that’s the great thing about this website you get a bunch of different opinions. Even dumb people who overrate prospects like myself. #KaliyevNextOviDont@Me :sarcasm:

Although that said in my current rankings I’m working on he’s down to the 10-14 range. So I’ve lighten up a bit on the hype.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Bob has Kaliyev at 13 and IMO that's right around where he will likely get picked. I'm sure there are teams that are wary of a player of his ilk but there is no denying his skills. Bomb of a shot and very slick in tight. I think concerns over his skating are overstated. He's not a burner but gets around fine. Is he a banger? No, but not everyone has to be.

Reactions: ViktorBaeArvidsson

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
From what I have seen of him live this year, his work rate is there most nights. I like how he is able to find space in the offensive zone to make himself available to generate scoring opportunities.

He's a strong kid with an excellent shot, quick release.

He had a very good OHL Championship Series versus the Soo last season which the Dogs won in 6 games. That may have been his coming out party.

Like with most any kid, consistency is key. I think he will be a top 10 pick in this coming draft. Somebody is going to get a very talented player.

Andre the Giant could find open space in the OHL........

HaveKnifeWillButcher

Apr 23, 2018
There is an article on OHL.com from last May that says that Kaliyev lived on Staten Island from 11 months to peewee age and then played with Michigan programs after that, but then later in the article quotes his coach (Gruden) as saying "I've played with guys of other nationalities that could speak unbelievable English but when you asked them to backcheck or do something they'd pretend like they don't know English. That isn't Arthur...."

Could somebody explain what the hell Gruden is talking about (assuming the stuff in the article about where Kaliyev lived and played is true)

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yes I’ve have seen him play, and I address that he does in fact have weaknesses, but I really like the strengths to his game, the 3 main points.

ok? Assuming I just watch highlights cool cool.

Don’t remember saying that, I just included highlights to show off some of his best stuff.

I don’t just scout off highlight reels so yeah. Also, I do see his negatives to his game. I just see a lot of potential in his strengths.

I could easily be 100% wrong, but I like Kaliyev and nothing is changing that. I stand by my opinion, and that’s fine if y’all disagree with me, that’s the great thing about this website you get a bunch of different opinions. Even dumb people who overrate prospects like myself. #KaliyevNextOviDont@Me :sarcasm:

Although that said in my current rankings I’m working on he’s down to the 10-14 range. So I’ve lighten up a bit on the hype.

you said that

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Feb 18, 2017
you said that
??? Never said “I only watch highlights” I included a highlight package to show off some of his best stuff, never said “Yeah so the video clearly shows the reason why he’s a Top Prospect”. I don’t mind if people aren’t as big of a fan of his than I, but I don’t like people who discredit my ability to do research on prospects.

Last edited:

SAM STEVENS

Oct 21, 2018
A lot of people are just assuming I watch highlight reels, is it because I posted a highlight reel? I was just doing that to give new comers some of his best stuff, which I guess ment for most people that ment that I’ve only seen highlights of him lol. Kk... no I do watch him, and it’s fine if you have a different opinion than mine, but don’t discredit my ability on how I rate prospects
you like him I like him some don't whatever... Nobody is buying Kane jerseys for his shot blocking abilities. The game needs different players and everyone loves goals so he fills that need and the net. Lots of time to make him more of a 200 feet player.

Reactions: ViktorBaeArvidsson

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Feb 18, 2017
you like him I like him some don't whatever... Nobody is buying Kane jerseys for his shot blocking abilities. The game needs different players and everyone loves goals so he fills that need and the net. Lots of time to make him more of a 200 feet player.
Only problem I had is that people just assumed I only watched his highlights. Huge fan of his strengths, I believe they out weigh his negatives and he has so much potential to grow into a very good Top 6 winger.

SAM STEVENS

Oct 21, 2018
Only problem I had is that people just assumed I only watched his highlights. Huge fan of his strengths, I believe they out weigh his negatives and he has so much potential to grow into a very good Top 6 winger.
I would not worry you can like him for any reason you want. even if you did watch only his highlights there is a lot of them to keep you busy before you can get to the game review clips lol.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Top 15 prospect yes. Haven't seen Bob's rankings yet but #13 seems about right to me. 10-15 is the correct range IMO.

I think its more about his first step/acceleration skating wise. He starts moving kinda slow but can get around once he's going. You get these kind of bigger, strong shooting scorers seemingly every year (Tippett & Wahlstrom come to mind recently, Bellows too). In Kaliyev's case I like how he's able to read the play & find space to get a shot off.

Makes me think he won't 'bust'. Although effort level (if its an issue, I don't really know) is ultimately an important concern.

What do people think about Kaliyev compared to Wahlstrom? I think I might like him a bit more than Wahlstrom myself.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Top 15 prospect yes. Haven't seen Bob's rankings yet but #13 seems about right to me. 10-15 is the correct range IMO.

I think its more about his first step/acceleration skating wise. He starts moving kinda slow but can get around once he's going. You get these kind of bigger, strong shooting scorers seemingly every year (Tippett & Wahlstrom come to mind recently, Bellows too). In Kaliyev's case I like how he's able to read the play & find space to get a shot off.

Makes me think he won't 'bust'. Although effort level (if its an issue, I don't really know) is ultimately an important concern.

What do people think about Kaliyev compared to Wahlstrom? I think I might like him a bit more than Wahlstrom myself.
excellent post.

I agree as well, players like this will always draw their share of criticism as most goal scorers do. Most of the top snipers are lets just say their play away from the puck is not that desireable. Kaliyev is no different. I think he compares on the same path as Wahlstrom, Bellows, Laine, etc...all those names have issues away from the puck, have had their effort level questioned at times, and their skating has never been elite either...but what they all do well is score damn goals lol...Kaliyev has more of a net pressence to me than the names i listed prior, I like his overall game too, the kid is a solid playmaker and does go strong to the net as well..compete level and skating are issues that can be worked out, natural goal scorers are just gifted as that simply cannot be taught.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
excellent post.

I agree as well, players like this will always draw their share of criticism as most goal scorers do. Most of the top snipers are lets just say their play away from the puck is not that desireable. Kaliyev is no different. I think he compares on the same path as Wahlstrom, Bellows, Laine, etc...all those names have issues away from the puck, have had their effort level questioned at times, and their skating has never been elite either...but what they all do well is score damn goals lol...Kaliyev has more of a net pressence to me than the names i listed prior, I like his overall game too, the kid is a solid playmaker and does go strong to the net as well..compete level and skating are issues that can be worked out, natural goal scorers are just gifted as that simply cannot be taught.

he kind of remind me of more of Owen Tippett than Wahlstrom. a pure shooter/sniper.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
Bobby Mac and his scouts have him 13th....I would say that is a top prospect!

For me the easiest way to breakdown players like this is what are they contributing to a game when they are not scoring? if they can still impact the game then they are a high end prospect, if you don't notice them out there, then they are down a notch....

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
A lot of people are just assuming I watch highlight reels, is it because I posted a highlight reel? I was just doing that to give new comers some of his best stuff, which I guess ment for most people that ment that I’ve only seen highlights of him lol. Kk... no I do watch him, and it’s fine if you have a different opinion than mine, but don’t discredit my ability on how I rate prospects

Using ‘’lol kk’’ in a post does a fine job discrediting your opinion as it is.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
For me the easiest way to breakdown players like this is what are they contributing to a game when they are not scoring? if they can still impact the game then they are a high end prospect, if you don't notice them out there, then they are down a notch....
Kaliyev while not a liability on defense is pure offense. pretty much like the old style power forward kind of a player.

that is the knock on him at the beginning of the season and i research the hades out of him. i just didn't know why the hate on him. then it all click a couple weeks back. this quasi new era hockey, he was not quote the full player unquote. meaning he is all offense.

but as i said before and i will emphasis, he is not a liability on defense.

Last edited:

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Kaliyev would actually be perfect for mtl. He can fix our awful pp with those shots of his.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
Kaliyev while not a liability on defense is pure offense. pretty much like the old style power forward kind of a player.

that is the knock on him at the beginning of the season and i research the hades out of him. i just didn't know why the hate on him. then it all click a couple weeks back. this quasi new era hockey, he was quote the full player unquote. meaning all offense.

but as i said before and i will emphasis, he is not a liability on defense.

I wasn't necessarily talking about defensive awareness, certainly that is part of it but does he win battles, can he turn pucks over, is he on the right side of the puck, faceoffs, PK play, leadership, can he read the play and effect it...... these type of things is what separates the top of the draft from the rest IMO... there is no complete player at 17 years old but how many boxes does he check off and is there more check marks than blanks with him.... I personally don't think so... having said that, he scores a lot of goals.....

Reactions: LDF

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Bob has Kaliyev at 13 and IMO that's right around where he will likely get picked. I'm sure there are teams that are wary of a player of his ilk but there is no denying his skills. Bomb of a shot and very slick in tight. I think concerns over his skating are overstated. He's not a burner but gets around fine. Is he a banger? No, but not everyone has to be.

I really like him as a player but I think the main reason that he won't go THAT high is because he's quite obviously a complimentary player and a lot of the teams in the top 10 will be on the lookout for franchise altering talents.

A team like Vancouver or Buffalo who already has some high-quality centers and is slated to pick in that range should really be thinking about taking this guy.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I wasn't necessarily talking about defensive awareness, certainly that is part of it but does he win battles, can he turn pucks over, is he on the right side of the puck, faceoffs, PK play, leadership, can he read the play and effect it...... these type of things is what separates the top of the draft from the rest IMO... there is no complete player at 17 years old but how many boxes does he check off and is there more check marks than blanks with him.... I personally don't think so... having said that, he scores a lot of goals.....
ref the bold i am in total agreement and maybe i jumped the gun ..... but i was just responding to what was printed.

this is for the pro scouts to answers about those check and uncheck questions you and i have. what i have read is the coaches needed to remind him to not to lapse into his mind and continue to work during the games. so that in itself can be taken anyway. i am taking it as a young kid who the coach needs to keep their head into the game.

bottom line is as you said, he scores goals. he is a pure sniper alone the lines of owen tippett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad