LW Arthur Kaliyev (2019, 33rd, LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Scored two goals in the AAPG. Not the hardest of finishes, but they all count the same. I didn't think he had a good game, but you can't fault a two goal game.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
not much love for this kid, but he just keeps powering to the net and scoring goals...I don't understand what more people want from him to start ranking him inside the top 15-20 consistently
Completely agree. I figured that as long as he continues to develop like last season, he could be a top 10 pick, like Owen Tippett who is also a natural sniper.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Has way better hands than Pacioretty, and is clearly less explosive as a skater.

As a NHL comparable would maybe be Vanek? ... He does not mind going to the net, and is a quality finisher. However, I don't think he possesses the elite hand-eye coordination skills that Vanek has (few players have that...).
If people look at your comment with today's Vanek, I think they would think Kaliyev is not a top young player, but when Vanek came out of the USHL, he was a beast, a very underrated overall player like Patches who scored goals consistently over their careers. Never the best but always right there..I would take that and run for Kaliyev to turn into another Vanek.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Kaliyev has more grit and jam to his game, he goes a bit more physical, but on offense skills, this would be a good comp as well..

I said Pacioretty because I think the PWF elements in his game that people talk about are the most overrated part of his game. He's better at that than non-PWF's, but I kind of think he's more finesse than he gets credit for being. Maybe he's not as much finesse as Pacioretty, but I think similar in the sense that he has a PWF frame, but is more of a goal-scoring winger than a true PWF.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I said Pacioretty because I think the PWF elements in his game that people talk about are the most overrated part of his game. He's better at that than non-PWF's, but I kind of think he's more finesse than he gets credit for being. Maybe he's not as much finesse as Pacioretty, but I think similar in the sense that he has a PWF frame, but is more of a goal-scoring winger than a true PWF.
Pacioretty was a PWF until 2012 when he decided he could just get paid to score goals. Definetely not a good comparison IMO.

I agree with the Vanek on and Id say a slightly slower Erik cole but with a better shot.

Reactions: Acadien86

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
If people look at your comment with today's Vanek, I think they would think Kaliyev is not a top young player, but when Vanek came out of the USHL, he was a beast, a very underrated overall player like Patches who scored goals consistently over their careers. Never the best but always right there..I would take that and run for Kaliyev to turn into another Vanek.

Vanek is still a good player, but he was a superb player in his early years... Great shot, great hands but mostly an amazing hockey sense (the proverbial "hockey IQ"). There is a reason why he got an offersheet... Still nowadays he is among the best in the NHL to finish/redirect pucks in front of the net with Crosby, Tavares, JVR, etc.

If Kaliyev can become a Vanek 2.0, it would be amazing... But I think Vanek was superior as a prospect.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Vanek is still a good player, but he was a superb player in his early years... Great shot, great hands but mostly an amazing hockey sense (the proverbial "hockey IQ"). There is a reason why he got an offersheet... Still nowadays he is among the best in the NHL to finish/redirect pucks in front of the net with Crosby, Tavares, JVR, etc.

If Kaliyev can become a Vanek 2.0, it would be amazing... But I think Vanek was superior as a prospect.
Kaliyev doesnt have anything near the talent to redirect pucks. He can do it, but not on Vaneks level. But Id say his shot and his net drive is better. Hes a goal scorer, and I think hes better than both zadina and Wahlstrom at it.

Reactions: Michoulicious

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
In all quietness, Kaliyev is having a beast of a season, 9 goals in 10 games, with 6 assists, 16 points
Its not like Arthur has a single same level player around him (not even close) to play hockey with in Hamilton.

Not sure why Kaliyev has lost all the love suddenly.

Reactions: Andrei79

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
In all quietness, Kaliyev is having a beast of a season, 9 goals in 10 games, with 6 assists, 16 points
Its not like Arthur has a single same level player around him (not even close) to play hockey with in Hamilton.

I think it may be more of a case of simply all of the high end 2019 forward prospects that are off to great starts. He has been lost in the shuffle to some extent, but IMO he should be a top-10 selection in the 2019 draft.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018

Many see him as too one dimensional.... a lot of Eeli Tolvanen in his game IMO, who went late in the 1st round as well. Can score from anywhere but doesn't do enough of the other things like a lot of the the other top forwards in the draft. So if you have two guys who can score, one works for pucks and cares away from the puck and the other doesn't... the player that does more gets put ahead of the one that doesn't. A lot of goal scorers in the OHL never get there as pro's.... he was probably one of those players that could have benefited more by going the NCAA route. no question if he flips a switch and starts to give a damn about other areas of his game, he could be really good.. .but how often does that happen?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
He’s horrendously inconsistent both in a shift-by-shift and game-by-game context, but he’s downright scary when he’s on.

Put up a hat trick today without a lot of effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad